Christmas in Antarctica

KirkNC

We did this cruise a couple of years ago and loved it.

Chose Hurtigruten for a couple of reasons. One is that I did not want to cross the Drake Passage on a small 100 pax boat two, the price point three the sailing in the fjords and four that they provided boots.

As things turned out we had smooth sailing both ways and it wouldn't have been an issue. And your time ashore may have to be sacrificed a bit because of the way they rotate pax ashore. Although we really didn't find it too much of an issue. There is a limit to what there is to see ashore and just how many photos can you take of penguins.

If you want to read about our trip, I have info in my travel blog ... just click on the Antarctica link under Index. And the photo above it was from our trip when we visited the Magellan penguins

We did this cruise a couple of years ago and loved it.

Chose Hurtigruten for a couple of reasons. One is that I did not want to cross the Drake Passage on a small 100 pax boat two, the price point three the sailing in the fjords and four that they provided boots.

As things turned out we had smooth sailing both ways and it wouldn't have been an issue. And your time ashore may have to be sacrificed a bit because of the way they rotate pax ashore. Although we really didn't find it too much of an issue. There is a limit to what there is to see ashore and just how many photos can you take of penguins.

If you want to read about our trip, I have info in my travel blog ... just click on the Antarctica link under Index. And the photo above it was from our trip when we visited the Magellan penguins

Thanks, i will check out the blog. Any pointers?

Edited by KirkNC

Plan on layering your clothes.

We did it with carry ons. Coming out of the north in January, we wore short sleeved shirts, fleece jackets and a gortex jacket on top of that.

Landing in Buenos Aires, where it was 80, I wiped out a folding duffle and put all of our winter outwear in there.

Another tip if you are interested in wildlife, it be outside (weather permitting) or in one of the lounges with big windows.

Also, when ashore, you are given an hour to be back at the boarding area. We simply kept an eye on the area and if there was a line, didn't bother hurrying back. Then we also watched the boats coming ashore and if they were mostly empty (meaning all ashore who were coming ashore) we didn't hurry back to the ship.

Plan on layering your clothes.

We did it with carry ons. Coming out of the north in January, we wore short sleeved shirts, fleece jackets and a gortex jacket on top of that.

Landing in Buenos Aires, where it was 80, I wiped out a folding duffle and put all of our winter outwear in there.

Another tip if you are interested in wildlife, it be outside (weather permitting) or in one of the lounges with big windows.

Also, when ashore, you are given an hour to be back at the boarding area. We simply kept an eye on the area and if there was a line, didn't bother hurrying back. Then we also watched the boats coming ashore and if they were mostly empty (meaning all ashore who were coming ashore) we didn't hurry back to the ship.

Great help, thanks. We have the layering down having been in cold before. I read your blog and it was also helpful. I can't imagine dealing with the last minute changes as you did.