QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

Okey dokey! So now I have to get another map of Costa Rica that has Puerto Moins on it to find out how close it is to Puerto Limon!

I think we ported at Puntarenas when we did our canal trip on the Cunard Countess.

I'm not sure what you mean by not recommending passing them on.

Thanks for the links!

Karie

Okey dokey! So now I have to get another map of Costa Rica that has Puerto Moins on it to find out how close it is to Puerto Limon!

I think we ported at Puntarenas when we did our canal trip on the Cunard Countess.

I'm not sure what you mean by not recommending passing them on.

Thanks for the links!

Karie

Sorry about the poor English. These groups have been recommended on other cruise critic threads. We ourselves have made no decision about using them.

marty

Cunard documents arrived today via my TA who used UPS to send them. I would assume fellow cruise critic members will be getting their documents by early next week if not already received.

Have a nice weekend.

Marty:)

Cunard documents arrived today via my TA who used UPS to send them. I would assume fellow cruise critic members will be getting their documents by early next week if not already received.

Have a nice weekend.

Marty:)

DARN! I 'm going to have to have a word with my lousy TA! Oops! That's right! I AM my TA. I expect mine to be a week out or so. I only just faxed my forms this past week. I will call my agency office next week though and see if they arrived yet. Or usually they call me when they come in. My agency office moved, and I work "outside" so usually I meet one of the other girls who works in the office a couple of days a week, and lives uup near me, with docs for me or any of my clients.

Every door in my hall is filled with dresses hanging from over the door hangers! And I still won't know what to pack on the night before! <G>

Its cold in the city tonight low 20's Farenheit expected. We have seen three Broadway shows in the past two weeks. "Jersey Boys" "In my life" and "Color purple" All musicals, all good. If you like rock and roll of the 60's Jersey Boys is the life story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Great music. We're off to Vegas for a few days next week and have tickets to Barry Manilow ( we love music, all kinds). If your coming into town early drop by the TKTS window at 47street and Broadway for same day tickets to a B'way show at discounted prices. And of course shop until you drop. Great bargains in New York.

See you guys soon!

Marty and Greta

Question to you fellow cruisers from New York:

Would it be worthwhile to take a helicopter flight in the morning before embarkation? (I know only those offered by Liberty.) Would it be possible to see the Queen Mary 2 from above?

Hi Carlmm,

I've not taken any helicopter flights in New York or anywhere for that matter. Found this site on the web. It looks like they have several 7 to 10 minute flights that include New York Harbor. There is also a very pricey half-hour flight where you can design your own itinerary.

I will watch the skies on January 3, for any whirly birds above and wonder if you are aboard. Should you happen to spot me, I will be the guy in the hat quivering with glee.

Here's the copter link:

http://www.allnewyorktours.com/Body.asp?mode=2&Page=SearchByModeCity&Type=AI&TY=AI&SearchName=Helicopter&eType=Activities

Cruiserking

How long will it take for us to get out of cold New York weather and into the warm weather when we leave in Jan. I take it that they close the pools on the decks when it is that cold. Do they host most sail away parties indoors?

Ryan

Ryan,

Usually, by the second sea day you will feel a noticeable difference in the temperature as we begin to cruise through the gulf stream. I believe the sailaway party out of New York is held under the magrodome up on deck 12.

Personally, I hope it will be frigid when we leave New York, because it's that much more magical arriving to the balmy tradewinds of the Caribbean.

Jonathan

Hope you guys survived the late fall blizzard, Lots of ice left over in the outer boroughs. I was out putting down ice melt this morning. Hmm I have never cruised out of New York City in a snow storm;) . Off to Las Vegas Monday morning forecast low 60's farenheit in the desert.

Marty

If I may - recently the observation deck on top of 30 Rockefeller Center reopened - it has wonderful views of the city in an art deco surrounding / building. THis building is in front of the Christmas Tree & ice Skating rink at Rock center. I believe its $15 to go to teh Top of the Rock as they say. (50th st & 5th Ave).

For me the drink of the day will be Boddington's or Harp. In fact those will be the drinks of the day for 12 days aboard the magnificent QM2.

I too would also enjoy a cold evening sailing down the Hudson and into open waters knowing what lies ahead. I think we will begin to notice the difference in climate by noon on Tuesday.

Right about now "climate change" are two very special words. It is brutally cold here in New York, the kind of cold where it's painful to stroll down the block with your beagle.

So, no John Maxtone-Graham, no Brian Price gee, I wonder if Commodore Wawryk will helm our 12-day expedition, that would be exciting. Don't suppose we'll find out until we take a gander at the January 3 daily programme, unless of course anyone out there has the inside scoop.

Peter,

I'll see your daily Boddington's at the Golden Lion, name the time and I'll be there. Perhaps one day after Pub Trivia, one of our favorite pursuits on QM2.

Jonathan

Well, I think if there is a climate change by noon on Tuesday, it will be my attitude getting sunnier as my car gets closer to New York City! (We are leaving Tuesday evening, no? Or am I confused?)

As for Commodore Warwick, I have been ASSURED by Cunard's res agents that he will be master of this ship on this cruise. Then again, I had two different agents insist that the obstructed view balconies are in hull. Then too, I was the one who told THEM about John Maxtone Graham. When I questioned, they looked it up on the same (wrong!) Web site I did!

We'll know when we shake his (or Captain Warner's) hand!

Speaking of which I was talking to another agent at my agency tonight. She went down for an overnight on the new Norwegian Spirit. She tells me that on NCL, the Captain no longers dines with passengers, and in fact, no longer shakes hands at the Captain's party. This, apparently, due to the number of virus outbreaks aboard several ships in recent years. We both agreed that perhaps he could wear formal gloves with his dress uniform. How cold and distant!

I hope Cunard never reaches that point!

I dont believe any town in the USA is more casual then Las Vegas. The only tuxedo I saw, was worn by a chauffer of a stretch limo. In any event, reading all the Cunard boards seems to indicate that our cruise will be a mix of formal during the evening (tux, suit, sports jacket, with or w/o tie and informal clothing for day wear.

It sure sounds like a Carribean cruise. Incidentally, Barry Manilow's show was great. I saw Celine last trip back. My drinks of choice in Vegas were Mojito and Margarita's w/o the salt and with plenty of Tequila.:)

Marty

It sure sounds like a Carribean cruise. Incidentally, Barry Manilow's show was great. I saw Celine last trip back. My drinks of choice in Vegas were Mojito and Margarita's w/o the salt and with plenty of Tequila.:)

Marty

Marty! You've just mentioned two of my most favorite drinks! And it's getting harder and harder around here to find fresh mint for the mojitos! Maybe we can take a quick detour to Cuba for some real ones! It's a British Flagged ship. Who'd know! (jsut bought one of those kits for growing my own mint indoors. It's killing me not to start it, but being gone for twelve days wouldn't do too much for it!)

I should have told you about the guy who does ahows of Neil Diamond and Jimmy Buffett. I think he is back playing in Vegas again. He was in charge of entertainment on one of our cruises. (Premier- damn near the Seabreeze's last trip- RIP) Barry is sort of a friend- knew him from the old Jimmy Buffett list years ago, so it was fun to see him on the ship. And you would not believe how he can pull off being BOTH performers!

Can't wait! Two and a half Lo-o-ong! weeks!

Hey Marty,

Welcome back from Los Vegas. I guess you're suffeciently relaxed for our upcoming Caribbean voyage on the QM2.

Karie,

Saw your post on another thread regarding John Maxtone-Graham. I wondered the same thing, what the likelyhood might be that he will join us for the second leg of our journey.

I'm still holding out hope that the QE2 guys got in wrong, perhaps they got a hold of JMG's cousin John Maxtone-Graham, it could happen. If not perhaps we could entice Mr. Maxtone Graham to join our cruise with an offering of fresh mint, it couldn't hurt.

Two weeks from today, the bag packing experience begins. Just returned from a party on the west side, had to walk through Times Square, sheer bedlam. My one pervading thought, was sailing away from this cacaphony of crowds in the sleek, elegance of the mighty QM2.

Cruiserking

Hey Marty,

Welcome back from Los Vegas. I guess you're suffeciently relaxed for our upcoming Caribbean voyage on the QM2.

Jon

Relaxed? Not in Las Vegas action all the time and those women............ DW says ditto for the guys, Hot, Hot! plus something for every life style. You just need the money honey!

Probably catch some shut eye on the deck chairs mid afternoon.

m:)

Hey Marty,

Jon

Relaxed? Not in Las Vegas action all the time and those women............ DW says ditto for the guys, Hot, Hot! plus something for every life style. You just need the money honey!

Probably catch some shut eye on the deck chairs mid afternoon.

Our local paper the other day published a "what to buy for the filthy rich" article. They are so hard to shop for!

For the woman who has everything, and is bored with <ahem> the status quo, they suggested Heidi Fleiss's (Hollywood madam) new venture- it's a, um, "Stud Farm" somewhere in Nevada- where you might purchase the "services" of a "gentleman" of your choice by the hour.

I- damn near the Seabreeze's last trip- RIP) Barry is sort of a friend- k should have told you about the guy who does ahows of Neil Diamond and Jimmy Buffett. I think he is back playing in Vegas again. He was in charge of entertainment on one of our cruises. (Premiernew him from the old Jimmy Buffett list years ago, so it was fun to see him on the ship. And you would not believe how he can pull off being BOTH performers!

Can't wait! Two and a half Lo-o-ong! weeks!

Neil Diamond Review with Jay White was playing in our Hotel but didnt get a chance to see it. Its got top ratings for a review!. We saw "Fashionistas" an adult dance fantasy with major sexual content. Only in Las Vegas do they mix Ballet and fetish as they did in this show!:eek:

See You soon.

m

Our local paper the other day published a "what to buy for the filthy rich" article. They are so hard to shop for!

For the woman who has everything, and is bored with <ahem> the status quo, they suggested Heidi Fleiss's (Hollywood madam) new venture- it's a, um, "Stud Farm" somewhere in Nevada- where you might purchase the "services" of a "gentleman" of your choice by the hour.

Prostitution is legal in one county in Nevada and not Las Vegas. Strangely the law permits female prostitution but not male. Heidi is a convicted felon.

So the law has to be changed, Heidi needs a permit, and remember guys cant service women as fast as women can men;)

Odds seem to favor it not happening!

Now if you can relate this to Cunard this thread may be allowed to stay up.

Hello All:

Where have we agreed to meet on Tuesday and at what time?

Might be a good time to talk about land excursions and see what everyone is thinking. I have a contact in St. John that might be able to arrange a visit to a beach. Let me know in advance and I will email them this week or next and see if they can arrange something. They own a company called St. John Spice located two minutes from the ferry. My email is: peter.chisholm@comcast.net

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Peter and Barbara

It would be great for all of us to meet on Tuesday January 3, perhaps later at night around 10 pm in the Commodore Club.This would give folks in the later dinner seating ample time to dine. The first night's entertainment in the Royal Court Theater is nothing special, it would be nice to celebrate our first night aboard with a Cruise Critic meet and greet.

In addition we could also plan on meeting in the afternoon of the first sea day, when everyone is a bit more rested, say around 2 pm in the Chart Room.

On our cruise last March we had a very successful first sea day meeting

Look forward to meeting everyone aboard in 15 days.

Cruiserking

Archived