QM2 Stateroom Close to Laundrette

Whitters1961

We have booked the South American segment (15 nights) of the World Tour. We booked a Saver Fare, so appreciate that we can't be picky. We had a Guarantee BZ sheltered balcony cabin. We have this morning been allocated our stateroom 5218. This is actually a BY cabin, a slight upgrade (apparently a room on the Aft is more stable than Forward - which may be important going around Cape Horn?!). However, it is a connecting room and almost opposite the laundrette. Should we be concerned about noise?

Thanking you in anticipation of your comments & hopefully putting our concerns at rest.

We have booked the South American segment (15 nights) of the World Tour. We booked a Saver Fare, so appreciate that we can't be picky. We had a Guarantee BZ sheltered balcony cabin. We have this morning been allocated our stateroom 5218. This is actually a BY cabin, a slight upgrade (apparently a room on the Aft is more stable than Forward - which may be important going around Cape Horn?!). However, it is a connecting room and almost opposite the laundrette. Should we be concerned about noise?

Thanking you in anticipation of your comments & hopefully putting our concerns at rest.

You probably will get some noise, sometimes the users of the washer/dryers leave the door open and talk loudly without any concern for the staterooms nearby. This is only a concern if you have a siesta in the afternoon. They usually close 8pm and open 7am. Sometimes they are not locked or they are opened early.

Edited by Pennbank

Personally, I would be more concerned about the interconnecting cabins. We had one of these once and could hear our neighbours. But it all depends on how noisy/quiet your neighbours are.

We always book a cabin number on the QM2 now and put no upgrade. Fortunately the QV and QE don't have these rooms.

We had a Q4 (7044) on the QE for first part of the 2014 World Cruise - it is opposite the Laundrette and did not cause us any bother - in fact it was quite convenient.

The laundry rooms are open 7:30 am to 9 pm. The doors are generally kept closed but noise can sometimes be a problem. I too would be more worried about a connecting door. Fortunately never had one on the ship but had problems a few times in hotels.

The good thing, it will be easy to nip into the laundry room to check and see if there are any available machines:D

On one of our longer voyages, there was lots of laundry activity and a queue of chatty people in the hallway, waiting to do washing. Some of the folks in nearby cabins must have complained, because staff put up a sign that the laundry wouldn't open until 9 am (and kept it locked until then).

We also (like Ray66) had a cabin, once, with an incompetent inter-connecting door seal and could hear every word the people said next door. Thank goodness we had packed our earplugs! (We really should have said something to staff about this---it was probably fixable).

The one time we had a connecting room we never heard our neighbors.
Same here. For days I didn't know I had any neighbours on the other side of the connecting door, until I saw them in the corridor one day, leaving their cabin :) . Edited by pepperrn

I was in 6257 which wasn't opposite the laundry room on deck 6 but it was close, and that place was like a social club - a line in the corridor and lots of yacking, but the noise didn't penetrate the cabin.

I did however have a sheltered balcony with an interconnecting door and I could hear EVERYTHING that my neighbors did. Speaking personally I will never have an interconnecting room again, even as an upgrade as was the case with this booking. It's just one of those cabin rules I have now learned along with others like avoiding any cabin near the nightclub, or under a main deck, or directly opposite the stairs or elevators.

As with most things this is just a personal opinion, but I reached the limit of my patience when the husband in the interconnecting room (who was addicted to watching soccer on tv) yelled out "GOAL !!!" one night when I had turned in early. Never again.

Edited by Winchester Ranger