Mayan ruins SE suggestions

tfran8

Hello,

I am going to Cozumel on a cruise in March, we will be there for 8 hours. I have been to Tulum and would like to check out the other ruins, if I'm able to. Unfortunately my cruise doesn't offer any of the Mayan ruin trips through NCL. Has anyone gone through another company? Which one and how much time did you get at the ruins? Thanks!

Coba is the only other ruin you should try to visit from a cruise ship. It is same distance as Tulum, only inland instead of beach front. It has only a handful of actual ruins uncovered but they are all huge and worthwhile. Also, a really nice ball court is there. It is in the jungle, with lots of walking, so be prepared.

San Gervasio is on the island of Cozumel but it is small. Interesting, but small. You can even rent a taxi for several hours to take you there.

I think most of the tour companies go there, it should be easy to find one. Try searching by Cozumel excursions in google.

Thanks! I will check on the ones in Coba, if anyone has any tour company recommendations, let me know!

I think Cozumel will be the only place to see the ruins as the other ports are Jamaica, Grand Cayman and a private island :-)

Cozumel is one of the few ports where I would strongly recommend using NCL excursions. The reason is the ferry to the mainland. We have taken the Coba tour and had ample time at the site. The problem was that we were so late returning that the we had to run through rush hour traffic to get to the ferry that was waiting for us. My guess is that the ferry company said enough! We're not waiting for your guests any more rather than NCL dropping the excursion. Be careful booking it independently.

Cozumel is one of the few ports where I would strongly recommend using NCL excursions. The reason is the ferry to the mainland. We have taken the Coba tour and had ample time at the site. The problem was that we were so late returning that the we had to run through rush hour traffic to get to the ferry that was waiting for us. My guess is that the ferry company said enough! We're not waiting for your guests any more rather than NCL dropping the excursion. Be careful booking it independently.

Thank you for that information.