Pisco, Peru info (San Martin port)

geri

Visited this port in December 2015. The area where the ship docks is San Martin and it is completely remote and with absolutely nothing to walk to. I really mean nothing...there is not one store or even a home. There is a dock and then the arid land begins. It is pretty to look at, but if you intend to see anything you will have to book an excursion with someone. There will be a handful of cab drivers waiting on the dock. If there are a number of other passengers headed towards the cabs wanting to go to the same spot see if you can group together to negotiate a good deal and ensure reliable transportation.

It is 35 minutes ride into Pisco and the town is rather poor and without tourist infrastructure.

The Tambor Colorado ruins will be another 30 minutes past Pisco and once you arrive the signage explaining the ruins are minimal. If you truly wish to understand what you are looking at make sure you read up before arrival or book a ship excursion that will ensure you have a fluent English speaking guide. You will not find exceptionally fluent local English speaking people.

La Mina beach is about 20 minutes from the ship, however, you will be driving over sand dune type road and not paved road for most of the ride. It's a beautiful beach and you'll find many locals there, but it is not for anyone who cannot tolerate a bumpy ride. You'll also need to ensure your driver stays with you so that you have return transportation to the ship.

There were independent outfitters on the dock offering trips to the Ballestas. I know one group of 9 negotiated $35 per person for the transport to the boat and then the boat ride to the island. I can't offer any advice about Paracas.

We used South American Secrets for our trip to the Ballestas Islands in February. They collect you from the port at San Martin. The cost was $40 each. We booked on line and paid via PayPal. A very interesting trip - I highly recommend it.

• 5 weeks later...
There were independent outfitters on the dock offering trips to the Ballestas. I know one group of 9 negotiated $35 per person for the transport to the boat and then the boat ride to the island. I can't offer any advice about Paracas.

Are there plenty of taxis, tours offered at San Martin or is it better to pre book?

We used South American Secrets for our trip to the Ballestas Islands in February. They collect you from the port at San Martin. The cost was $40 each. We booked on line and paid via PayPal. A very interesting trip - I highly recommend it.

Did that include the return to ship? Is it worth looking around Pisco or just back to ship?