Divina Food Question

MsTabbyKats

We sailed on the Divia last December and and I loved it.

I loved the pizza....real,old world pizza. I lived on it for a week.

I was so happy that I booked a cruise for 5/16....great price great cabin.

Well, in October "life happened" and I was dianosed with breast cancer. Long story short....I completey changed my eating habits to lose weight and eat an "anti-breast cancer" diet. (Today is 2 months without one transgression!)

We did an NCL Breakaway cruise last week and I had no problem finding healthy food (and I lost 2 lbs).

The problem is.....I don't remember anything about food on the Divina except the pizza in the buffet. Do they have fresh fruit, fruit salad, plain yogurt, salads, fresh vegetables, cooked vegetables, fish...and other healthy food in the buffet?

MDR isn't an option.....portions would be too small and limited.

If I'm not sure I'm going to cancel and do the Breakaway again.

Thanks....

Of course they have fruit, they also have yogurt. If you go into the main dining for breakfast they will have any fruit you want. They will give you yogurt and mix fresh fruit in it. I loved honey vanilla yogurt and they ran out. So they took plain vanilla and mixed the honey in it. Now I love greek yogurt, but I do not know if they have that. They have a great salad bar. If you also go to the main dining, they will bring you out finer oil and vinegar if you ask.

As on any cruise line, not too many vegetables on the plate. Ask , and you will get a plate full for the table. One time we got tons of white asparagus. You just need to ask, with a smile. Congratulations on the victory against cancer.

Eating in the main dining room will be better since the head waiter will give you choices they night before and bring you the hand selected food to you. Let them know you have dietary restrictions. No one in the buffet will cater to you, unlike eating in the MDR. You can also ask for more of anything.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

Just off the Divina and I thought there were more veggies in the buffet than I've found on other cruise lines. Aside from steamed, and sautéed veggies, they also have grilled veggies. They are not all in one location during lunch so you really need to walk the loop. The buffet is smaller in the evening but still many vegetable offerings.

I'm so sorry to hear Bout your recent diagnosis. My best friend sailed the Divina and requested a healthy low fat diet when she booked. No major health issues for he, just lost a lot of weight and wanted to keep it off and not destroy 6 months determination and sticking to it in 2 weeks. She said it was great at dinner. They'd consult with her each evening about the following days options for her. Sometimes her table mates were jealous of what she had and asked to order it too!

You will find plenty of healthier options anyway but perhaps do what my friend di to always be guaranteed them. She said instead of feeling that she was limited by her diet choices, she felt the opposite since they were designing her dinner to exactly suit her.

Thanks for the info....

MDR is not an option for us. I like to go around and pick my food and portions. In all our cruises....I think we ate there twice. In addition...our "main meal" is generally earlier than "early seating"...like 3-4 PM.

There are other variables.......

Breakaway.....10 minute cab ride to port (or pubic bus for 30 minutes and $2/each)

Divina-cab to airport, screening, flight, cab from airport

Also...when I booked the May cruise....I owned a tax prep business...so May was perfect. I was diagnosed on a Tuesday...and had a "check in had" for my business that Sunday. So, no need to limit my travels to FL in May.

I just hate to cancel this because of the great price and great cabin...but when all is said and done, now that I know I can get my vegetables....I may re book for "colder in NY months" and spend more time in Florida before or after.