Anyone ever had their INR done onboard?

searoses

I would contact the line directly. My DH is on Warfarin, but is a poster child for how well it works (his numbers never change!) so he only needs to go once every three months or so.You may also want to talk to your doctor about one of the new drugs which need no monitoring. Only draw back is no antidote at this time (vitamin K is the antidote for Warfarin).

Found this info for you:

For more information call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice), fax (954) 628-9622, send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/otherNeeds.do#WI7Tpplesj8UymjO.99

Thanks.....been here long enough to know any answer I get from them directly may not turn out to be true so thought I would ask for anecdotal info....I am just the opposite....a Rollercoaster for me !.....staying on stj after the cruise and making a plan for that ,too....so I know I will be covered if a few days late....

Going to be away long enough that I will likely need to have it done and trying to put together a plan....thanks for any help...
I would look in to getting your own meter like this one.http://www.alere.com/en/home/products-services/brands/inratio.html I did it after going to the lab for 15 years and its the best thing I have ever done.

Info here http://www.ptinr.com/

Edited by FLACRUISER99

Didn't even know that they made home systems. Pretty cool if you need to closely monitor the situation. Hope that they can give you the information you need. Perhaps your pharmacist/doctor may also have some suggestions (my DH rarely sees his doctor, and his pharmacist has been so helpful at the anti-coagulation clinic).

Thanks to both of you....I did contact them.....just being sure it worked for people....that home tester sounds like a good idea for someone like me who has to keep a sharp eye on the situation....

We have been doing the at home INR for 2 years works great.

Should be covered by Insurance.

Check with your Doctor. We use Alere home monitoring.

Going to be away long enough that I will likely need to have it done and trying to put together a plan....thanks for any help...

I will be interested to see if you get an answer from the ship. Someone asked me just the other day if this service was available down in medical and I did not know the answer. Definitely would like to know the answer.

I missed my Dec 12th cruise on Oasis due to broken left leg (tibia plateau fracture) and left broken elbow...which I had a DVT (blood clot) in my left leg on thanksgiving to add to the frustration. Went on Lovenox shots for 5 days and Coumadin. Just today had last 2 blood tests that were 2.0. Because I was not therapeutic I was advised to not fly. Plus I still am not weight bearing on my leg until Monday. So I was glad to see this post because I hope to cruise in 2016 and will need to watch my INR too. So glad I had travel insurance! Good luck and hope everything goes ok on your trip.

Also keep in mind when you go to the medical office on the ship to have test done, they will more than likely bill your onboard account for doctor services.

My father was just on an extended cruise, different line and had the test done onboard. He complained over Christmas that his onboard account was charged like $250. And he didn't even see the doctor, just the nurse.

My DW is on blood thinners. Reported to Medical on Navigator on day 1. Was told any test would cost hundreds. Later I talked to someone about what we actually needed. Drew the blood and gave the results while we waited. Was charged $20. Their medical had no fax. Went to front desk and they offered to call our doctor (no fax either). Called our doctor in California and gave our updated numbers. $20 was charged to our stateroom.

Thank you for the details tony buzz.....they did tell me I did not need an order from my Dr but I will be bringing one....I knew we would have to pay out of pocket but do have ins that will reimburse when we return....if the level is ok I won't have to do anything but I will call if I am not sure....usually they do not change my dosage unless the repeat shows too high or low....am just one of those people that swing from high to low with no explanation....staying on stj for 2 weeks after and can ferry over to stt to have it done ....a cab to cuzzins to have lunch and the results will be ready....getting older is not for the faint of heart!:D:D

I did write to the Special Needs area of RCL to make sure that Navigator had the equipment to do the test prior. Was a little shocked at the first response. Go down at a quiet time and the wait should be short. I did bring the letter from DW's nurse just in case there was any confusion as to what test was to be performed. Her numbers were in range and rarely change so probably no need to report them but we did since it was the start of a 14 day B2B.

My father was just on an extended cruise, different line and had the test done onboard. He complained over Christmas that his onboard account was charged like $250. And he didn't even see the doctor, just the nurse.

I've seen what my MIL's coag clinic charges for her visits. $250 isn't out of line, and there are only pharmacists at MIL's coag clinic, no nurses, let alone doctors.

My DW is on blood thinners. Reported to Medical on Navigator on day 1. Was told any test would cost hundreds. Later I talked to someone about what we actually needed. Drew the blood and gave the results while we waited. Was charged $20. Their medical had no fax. Went to front desk and they offered to call our doctor (no fax either). Called our doctor in California and gave our updated numbers. $20 was charged to our stateroom.

Interesting.

I looked at that Alere website; alas, the reason my MIL is on warfarin isn't a covered condition per Medicare. She's on it as a "just in case" measure (which I have been trying to change since she was first put on it and then AF was ruled out, but they simply will not), and that means Medicare likely won't cover it. Doubt she'd want to pay for it OOP!

I would explore that with medicare....especially if she has supplemental ins as well...,medicare part a does not cover medication and my secondary does not cover a particular medication that I need infused every month....my Dr rattled a few cages and they worked it out and my copay is $0....it can pay not to take no for an answer...

Thank you everyone for the advice and sharing your experience ....only 5 weeks left now before we head to sju....happy new year!

I would explore that with medicare....especially if she has supplemental ins as well...,medicare part a does not cover medication and my secondary does not cover a particular medication that I need infused every month....my Dr rattled a few cages and they worked it out and my copay is $0....it can pay not to take no for an answer...

The meter's website was so specific, even listing out the diagnoses, I wouldn't have thought that going further would get it taken care of.

I'll have to think about it; the fact of the matter is that MIL barely even can test her blood sugar on her own. So I would probably have to test it for her, and since she refuses to even move to our town, let alone move in with us, it just adds more to my to-do list. I talked about it with the pharmacist at her coag clinic yesterday and she said that she had seen Medicare make people test every single week when they get them, or the people have to pay Medicare back or send the device back. Eep.

Further to the cost of a visit...I looked at MIL's EOBs yesterday, and her fingerstick INR visits are billed at a total of $190 each time. More if she tests above or below a certain level (she is NOT stable on it) and has to go to the lab for a blood draw. $20 onboard would be a steal, but $250 wouldn't surprise me, either.

I've seen what my MIL's coag clinic charges for her visits. $250 isn't out of line, and there are only pharmacists at MIL's coag clinic, no nurses, let alone doctors.

Interesting.

I looked at that Alere website; alas, the reason my MIL is on warfarin isn't a covered condition per Medicare. She's on it as a "just in case" measure (which I have been trying to change since she was first put on it and then AF was ruled out, but they simply will not), and that means Medicare likely won't cover it. Doubt she'd want to pay for it OOP!

Your MIL might benefit from a second opinion.

• 10 months later...
Anyone had INR/PT tested on an RC ship this year? (2016)

I emailed "special needs" and they confirmed that it can be done in the medical clinic on the ship but could not give me a price. Anyone tested this year that can tell us the cost?

Sorry I don't have an answer for you... but we switched my mom to self testing!! It saved a lot of time. might be worth looking into

• 2 weeks later...