Carnival Dream

Young_cruiser17

We are cruising the Dream for the first time in March. Can anyone who's sailed her before give us any advice on things to do, what to eat, what shoes to watch, etc.? Thanks in advanced!

1. We love air hockey (even on a cruise) and the Dream had an awesome arcade that always seemed to be empty- it is a bit hard to find.

2. We got up early on got the two person clamshell loungers on the Serenity deck which was a great place to enjoy the water and relax, but was also convenient to the waterslides (which we also loved).

3. While the food was fine in the MDR for dinner, I do recommend trying lunch/ brunch in the MDR and the Steakhouse.

Have fun!!!!!

We are cruising the Dream for the first time in March. Can anyone who's sailed her before give us any advice on things to do, what to eat, what shoes to watch, etc.? Thanks in advanced!

The Chef's table is awesome. Shoes would be sandals and watch would be my iPhone.

1. We love air hockey (even on a cruise) and the Dream had an awesome arcade that always seemed to be empty- it is a bit hard to find.

2. We got up early on got the two person clamshell loungers on the Serenity deck which was a great place to enjoy the water and relax, but was also convenient to the waterslides (which we also loved).

3. While the food was fine in the MDR for dinner, I do recommend trying lunch/ brunch in the MDR and the Steakhouse.

Have fun!!!!!

We have a reservation for the steakhouse the night of my birthday! I'm so excited to try it. Do you remember what you ordered?

Can we just walk right into the MDR for breakfast? What is the dress code? Do we have to have a set time to eat there?

The 'Dancin in the Streets' show is quite good. The acrobats are unbelievable, and they do their feats of strength on a moving ship! We saw a hypnotist another night who was mildly entertaining. There's a country show towards the end of the cruise that I skipped because I don't enjoy country. The Dream also has a show band, which is always a plus.

We have a reservation for the steakhouse the night of my birthday! I'm so excited to try it. Do you remember what you ordered?

Can we just walk right into the MDR for breakfast? What is the dress code? Do we have to have a set time to eat there?

I had the surf and turf and my DH had a ribeye (I think). Both were great.

You just show up at the MDR for breakfast. Swimsuits are probably not ok- but it was pretty casual. And it was scrumptious! Love the fruit selection and the eggs Benedict. And the lox and bagels. Oh and the pastries were good too!

Suffice it to say- avoiding the elevators and walking everywhere was the only way we avoided gaining weight and getting stuck in the water slide tubes:-)

We love Pasta Bella. Its one floor above the Lido buffet and is only open for lunch.

I agree the Black Jack Band is great! Too bad our last time on the Dream we didn't discover them until the last night.

The Dream has our favorite layout and seating in the comedy club lounge.

I agree about Blackjack Band in the Oceans Plaza, deck 5 midship. I have sailed with them 6 times. Great music, friendly people. The shows in the theater are excellent on this ship. One of the few remaining Carnival ships with good shows, IMO. Dancing in the Streets is the best. I loved the country show. Jimmy from Blackjack Band plays fiddle for that show. Even though I don't usually like motown, I still enjoyed the motown show. Fly-on entertainers, such as a hypnotist or magician or juggler, vary from week to week, but those are always enjoyable. Show up early for good seats.

The main dining room will serve a brunch instead of a separate breakfast & lunch on sea days. On port days, they will serve breakfast but not lunch. You just show up whenever while they're open, no assigned times or tables. Casual attire. I like the choices for the brunch, although it's hard for me to give up some of my sun & swim time.

The pasta bar for lunch, 1 deck up from the aft buffet, is excellent! Go there when you first get on board the ship, as it will get busier & busier as the week goes on & more people find out about it. The lanai BBQ is decent; worth giving it a shot. For those late evening cravings, 10pm-midnight or so, you will have a few more options than just pizza, unlike most Carnival ships these days. The grill will have burgers, sandwiches, and maybe a couple other things. It's nice to have that option, after dancing at the late night deck parties (there will be 2 of those that start around 10:30).

The 2 large waterslides are so much fun, and they are not for kids only. Adults are allowed to ride them too. They may be a bit bumpy, where the sections come together, but you get used to it after a few rides. Fresh water with the slides, saltwater in the pools.

I'm a huge fan of the spa rooms-the saunas and thelassio pool. My husband and I spent time in there every day. You can buy a week long pass on the first day of the cruise. Totally worth it in my opinion.

As above If you like spas, saunas, steam rooms, etc. you would really like the Dream's Cloud 9 Spa. Highly recommend booking a Spa Cabin

If you go the first or second night you get a free bottle of wine at the steakhouse. I usually order the surf/turf and it is so good!

Yes, there is one MDR that will serve sit down breakfast. No dress code for breakfast/lunch, you just need to be covered (no swim suits). There is a range of time that breakfast is available.

Do you have to line up for the comedy shows early? On the Magic you pretty much had to line up about 30 minutes prior if you were hoping to get in....

We love Pasta Bella. Its one floor above the Lido buffet and is only open for lunch.

I agree the Black Jack Band is great! Too bad our last time on the Dream we didn't discover them until the last night.

The Dream has our favorite layout and seating in the comedy club lounge.

Do you have to line up for the comedy shows early? On the Magic you pretty much had to line up about 30 minutes prior if you were hoping to get in....

One advantage that is usually not noticed is that the Dream's comedy club is actually a bit larger than Magic's or Breeze's. For the Magic build, they took away part of the comedy club & the small lounge that exists on Dream. Magic & Breeze gave that space to the steakhouse. Dream's steakhouse is upstairs, below the funnel, which I feel is a much nicer spot. Magic & Breeze eliminated that upstairs space entirely. So, Dream's comedy club can fit more people into it than Magic & Breeze. Although, you should still show up early & get in line, unless you don't mind standing in the back (that's what I do).

Our first night we ate at the Chef's Art Steakhouse. I & two others in our party had the ribeye, one other had the NY Strip. All but one loved their steak. That restaurant was the pinnacle of our food experience, with a close second being the grilled lobster tail and prime cuts of meat in the main dining area. I had booked the first night at the steakhouse online and was given an option of a free bottle of house wine (which we accepted) or a discount off of the other wines.

As for the shoes, I had a pair of sneakers, pair of water shoes & two pairs of dress shoes. My wife brought about 8 pair.

The Mini-Golf course on the top deck is in very good shape and a good way to kill time.

Avoid the cheap WiFi advertised for $5, it's useless.

The speed and quality of the room service was top notch, better than RCI or DCL (IMO). If you like chicken wings, they cook the sauce into the wings - making them delectable.

As for the breakfast, if you want scrambled eggs all they have in the buffet line and in MDA is a scrambled-egg substance that appears to be powdered eggs. Stand in line for the omelet (can also get egg white omelet or two eggs any way) if eating in the "Gathering/Lido Buffet".

Get a room above deck 2, preferably mid ship or the front. You'll sleep better without the noise of the prop or it's vibration of the entire room at 4am.

Have Fun!