Are transatlantics too much sea time??

snookie1

I've been looking at cruises for 2016, and really want to do a few days in Barcelona, but the cruises that start or end there go to many ports we've already been to. Except for the transatlantic crossing on Oct 21st on the Vista. We've never been on a transatlantic before, and are concerned that we may get bored with so many sea days. We are not ones to play the bingo or other games; mostly like to relax with a good book or watch movies or such. I haven't read much about the Vista yet -- I understand it will be a brand new ship and will probably have some new features. We sailed on Celebrity a little over a year ago, and were surprised how there seemed to be an extra charge for so many things (we were Carnival cruisers up til then). Now I am reading about restaurants onboard Carnival that charge also. So I suppose the Imax and mini-golf and such would have a charge. Can anyone chirp in with their feelings about transatlantic sailings?? Thanks!

Vista will be packed with lots of things to keep you busy on those 25 hour sea days :-)

You will slowly get into a very relaxing routine,which you can easily pepper with the various new attractions onboard.

If you are readers,it will be a great way to polish off a few books

I'm a big port person, yet have come to really enjoy Transatlantics.

You should pop over to the roll call,I think it's very active.. If that is something that interests you.

Imax will have free and fee offerings

Mini golf,bowling,ropes course, slides are all complimentary.

Edited by DaytonCruiser

That's another question I had: is it going to be cold crossing the Atlantic in October/November? I mean, will it be too cold to go in the pools? Good to hear, though, that some of the features (mini-golf, bowling, etc) are included. I also see that the ship holds 3900 passengers. Possibly a little hard to find some quiet space? I did see the roll call -- 124 pages so far! I read the first few and last few; mostly people introducing themselves or catching up with old friends. I appreciate your views.

That's another question I had: is it going to be cold crossing the Atlantic in October/November? I mean, will it be too cold to go in the pools? Good to hear, though, that some of the features (mini-golf, bowling, etc) are included. I also see that the ship holds 3900 passengers. Possibly a little hard to find some quiet space? I did see the roll call -- 124 pages so far! I read the first few and last few; mostly people introducing themselves or catching up with old friends. I appreciate your views.

It will be far less than that number on the Transatlantics, very few kids.

I did a TA that left Barcelona the end of November, but we were headed south..it was cold and windy in Spain the day we left,but in the mid 70 once we got to the canaries.

You are crossing the Atlantic onto Bermuda then New York so the weather is a hard to say. I'm sure you would have multiple days to enjoy the pool area.

We did two of them; 1 on Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Civitavecchia (Rome) in 2014 & in 2015 on Celebrity out of Miami to the UK through Bermuda(we got off in France & took the train to Versailles) . Weather in both cases was great. The Southern route is a little warmer (Both in October) If you like trivia, Celebrity has it almost every day. We don't play, just learn a lot of interesting things. Princess was more fun, more interesting ports & fewer "stuffy old people" PS: We're old!

The hot tubs might feel better than the pool, and you might want to bring a robe for when you get out. No problem finding a lounger though.

We did a trans-atlantic balcony in late October. We passed through a strong storm with rain and lots of wind. It was too windy wet and cold to get into the pool.

I've been looking at cruises for 2016, and really want to do a few days in Barcelona, but the cruises that start or end there go to many ports we've already been to. Except for the transatlantic crossing on Oct 21st on the Vista. We've never been on a transatlantic before, and are concerned that we may get bored with so many sea days. We are not ones to play the bingo [...]Thanks!

Since it will be headed towards Bermuda, the weather should be much milder than if it was sailing to New York directly with stops in Canada.

Edited by untailored bostonian

If you already have concerns about too many sea days then you may want to look at another cruise.

A transatlantic cruise would have three/four sea days and the Atlantic in Oct is quite a bit different from the bathtub called the Caribbean.

We're booked on Vista's transatlantic. We have eight, count them...EIGHT sea days. :D

I love sea days.

Edited by stargate fan

4 each way, or is it a one way trip and you fly home?

This is the itinerary

Fri Barcelona, Spain

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Gibraltar

Mon Fun Day At Sea

Tue Fun Day At Sea

Wed Ponta Delgada,Azores,

Thu Fun Day At Sea

Fri Fun Day At Sea

Sat Fun Day At Sea

Sun Fun Day At Sea

Mon Bermuda

Tue Bermuda

Wed Fun Day At Sea

Thu New York, NY

Edited by AdrenalineRush

On these longer cruises the days seem to just settle down into a rhythm that you make your own. Trivia - they've got it. Movies - they've got it. Reading -they've got it. The days stretch out and it's funny just how full they can get, I have never had a problem being bored or not being able to find something to do. I know Carnival will put a couple of experts on board who will give a daily talk on some subject and I think I have enjoyed all of them.

Punta Delgado is a wonderful island, make sure you take the trip up into the crater of the extinct volcano, some beautiful views and pictures.

The North Atlantic is not known for it's warmth in the late fall so the pool may be out, but there is always the hot tub.

And, after doing the transatlantic try doing a transpacific to Australia. There really is a place in the world (or there was a couple of years ago) where you run out of the internet. Days with no facebook, cell phone or other irritating intrusions. Life really can be peaceful.

I don't play bingo either, but find plenty to do on sea days. I loved the transatlantic and transpacific cruise I went on. But then I love sea days in general. I spent time in the gym every day, plus signed up for yoga and other work out classes. I'd never be bored on a cruise.

We love transatlantic cruises. We have been on 7 so far. We also love the sea days. Have never gotten bored and have always found something to do.

We have done both the southern route and the northern route crossings.

In general, the southern crossing was warmer and smoother. All our cruises have been in Sept., Oct. or Nov. Oct. being our favorite month to sail. For us coming from Europe to the US is like getting 2 vacations in one. First few days are usually crazy port intensive and the last 4- 6 days are laid back and relaxing. We don't come home exhausted from a TA cruise.

I guess it depends on what you like doing... Me personally, more than 2 days at sea in a row and I loose my mind and I LOVE cruising. Sure they plan a lot, but, it's seriously bad on some of those sailing when it's a knitting class or bingo every day...

Honestly my best suggestion is to look for the thread of people whom are already registered to go... See if anyone is interested in doing a cabin crawl one day (go and have a drink in every persons cabin who signed up).. Set up a poker playing day. Or a cards against humanity day etc etc.. If you get a group of fun people together to do those things, it can be super fun and easy to pass the sea days

We're booked on Vista's transatlantic. We have eight, count them...EIGHT sea days. :D

I love sea days.

We also are booked on the transatlantic and I can't wait for the sea days!! We are doing the 10 day before out of Athens which is port intensive so I know I'm going to love all those sea days!!

Pat

We also are booked on the transatlantic and I can't wait for the sea days!! We are doing the 10 day before out of Athens which is port intensive so I know I'm going to love all those sea days!!

Pat

How I wish we could have booked the previous cruise as well. My husband could not take the extra 10 days off from work. We have friends, two couples, who are sailing both. We'll enjoy their company on the TA and listen to their stories of the Med.

While I have never done a TA, I did do the 15 day Hawaii cruise with 9 Sea Days. I loved it. It is different when you are prepared for it. Your mind knows you have nothing to do for a few days so you just relax. I read three or so books, watched a bunch of movies, and just chilled out. They offer a different lunch menu in the MDR every day and do some other things that are different. It is the one cruise I got off of where I was completely relaxed.