Verizon international plan or $5 onboard plan,FB, etc.? Advice please

Galleon1234

My husband and I will be on a long cruise and wondering what our best options would be? Should we both get a Verizon international plan if we want to text each other on board or kids at home or does the $5 per day plan work out better?

We would also like to keep up with friends on FB.

Thanks for any advice!

I got the social media plan on my last cruise-a 5 day on the Elation. I was able to message (text) and call home using the Facebook app.

There is a slight delay using the call function with the Facebook app and sometimes it didn't work well in some parts of the ship. The message/text feature worked great!

For me, (I have ATT) the social media plan was signficantly cheaper and allowed me to stay in contact with friends on the board and talk to my kids at home.

I'd love to know how to make calls also using FB...do I still turn off the data feature on my phone? I'm just not sure how to do this..I would do the social media package but that won't work in Airplane Mode will it? Someone help us "tech challenged" folks;)

I do facebook, but didn't know you could call on FB. Is there a special app I need to download to be able to make calls?

Thanks so much for information!

If you use a phone, you need Facebook Messenger. If you use your computer, click on the Message icon an do it through there.

With both, you can make phone calls, video messages and message others. With Facebook Messenger, the other party has to have the Messenger app, but doesn't have to have a Facebook account.

I'd love to know how to make calls also using FB...do I still turn off the data feature on my phone? I'm just not sure how to do this..I would do the social media package but that won't work in Airplane Mode will it? Someone help us "tech challenged" folks;)

Yes, you still put your phone in airplane mode. Make sure that wi-fi is turned on. The social media package works off of wi-fi.