Questions about Ecstasy...

camprunner

Ecstasy is a great ship and the one of the top rated in the fleet (according to Carnival's awards). It's a safe ship and no more or less safer than other ships in the feet. I've sailed Ecstasy twice and loved it! It's one of my favorite ships. If an incident does happen on a ship, then any lessons learned and/or policy changes are made across the board on all Carnival ships. So need to worry and have a safe and fun cruise!

While respondents here have said their past cruise was safe, none of them can know how your cruise will turn out. Indeed, they couldn't have known this tragedy was about to happen.

Some of the passengers on the ill fated Ecstasy cruise have said there were several elevators acting up and in need of repairs, it wasn't just the one.

Many CC cruisers advise not going on a cruise just before or after a dry dock refurbishment.

I stopped going on these older ships about 10 years ago. I understand your desire for a low cost cruise, but maybe another ship?

Same accident could happen on a newer ship as well. As you stated, no one will ever know ahead of time what will happen on their cruise but 99.999% of the cruisers out there will never have anything to worry about.

Honestly- nobody outside of the investigators know what caused that tragic accident. And unfortunately bad stuff happens all the time. Send hope and prayers, but don't let this change your family's plans.

Yes, only they will know what really happened. I heard that the crew forgot to turn the elevator off and someone got in. I am sailing on her in 6 days and this tragedy has not deterred me. I will say a prayer for him and his family while there. :)

Yes, only they will know what really happened. I heard that the crew forgot to turn the elevator off and someone got in. I am sailing on her in 6 days and this tragedy has not deterred me. I will say a prayer for him and his family while there. :)

Hence the reason for a "Lock Out" sign on the circuit breaker. But accidents do happen which this most likely was. It's a shame but the accident should not deter people from sailing a fine ship.

• 1 month later...

Now I have NOT been on Ecstasy but I have been on Fantasy out of Charleston. The 2 ships are almost identical. We had a terrific time. They had done a makeover of the ship and frankly I could not tell one bit of difference from the bigger ships except of course the size. It was not rundown and I had no clue until I got home that the Fantasy was built in 1990. You could have fooled me and I have been on several different carnival ships. February 28th will be our 1st time on the Ecstasy and we are excited. We live in S.C. so it is just a 2 hour drive for us.

Now in all honesty I have narrowed down which elevator had the tragic accident and I'm not getting on it, sorry but NO. I'm sure it is 100% safe but NO.

Edited by angel2wyld2
font

Now I have NOT been on Ecstasy but I have been on Fantasy out of Charleston. The 2 ships are almost identical. We had a terrific time. They had done a makeover of the ship and frankly I could not tell one bit of difference from the bigger ships except of course the size. It was not rundown and I had no clue until I got home that the Fantasy was built in 1990. You could have fooled me and I have been on several different carnival ships. February 28th will be our 1st time on the Ecstasy and we are excited. We live in S.C. so it is just a 2 hour drive for us.

Now in all honesty I have narrowed down which elevator had the tragic accident and I'm not getting on it, sorry but NO. I'm sure it is 100% safe but NO.

I will be on the 2/28 sailing as well.

Just off the Ecstasy on January 29 and I can tell you that yes, it is still a FUN ship.

Is it going to be the same experience as cruising on a new Dream or Vista class ship, no, but you also aren't paying a premium for that experience.

The ship itself is in decent shape. Yes, it has over-the-top early 90's Vegas decor, but it is easy to overlook. Carnival keeps it clean and in reasonably good shape.

One of the nice things about the Fantasy class ships is that they don't feel nearly as crowded as the newer ships. No long lines to get on or off the ship in port, and (almost) no fighting to get a seat in the comedy club or at one of the shows.

Our only disappointment with the Carnival Ecstasy had to do with the training and service levels on this ship - something that is likely linked to the standards of the Hotel Director. There were clearly gaps in training as not all of the bartenders knew the recipes for the drinks they were making (wrong tequila and forgetting the Patron Citronge in a margarita, for example) and the guy at the deli was putting hot turkey on a sandwich that was identified as "cold" on the deli menu. Was it the best service that we've received on a Carnival cruise, no, not by a long shot, but did it spoil our fun, no way! I still enjoyed my vacation and booked another Carnival cruise for March on a different ship.

I'm sure you'll have a great vacation on the Ecstasy so long as you go into it with modest expectations and a positive, "we're going to have fun" type attitude.

People calling for Fantasy class ships to be retired are either spoiled, snobbish, or ignorant.

Many of us enjoy cruising these ships versus the "Behemoth of the Sea" type ships. You'll note the Fantasy class ships don't sail empty either. They are a very popular.

You took the words right out of my mouth (or keyboard). I wonder what people would have said if that accident had happened on Breeze.

I'm a fantasy class cruiser but have sailed larger ships and didn't enjoy them any better.

My advice is different from some previous posters. I think that your first cruse SHOULD be on a smaller ship, especially if it costs less. You will find out what you like and don't like about cruising in general. If you really feel something is missing from the experience, you can book a different ship next time.

People calling for Fantasy class ships to be retired are either spoiled, snobbish, or ignorant.

You said it! These ships are not really old, if well maintained, and when the Fantasy class entered service, they were some of the largest passenger ships

in the world!

The class is the size of the legendary QE2, and 25,000 tons larger than Titanic!