seconds thoughts about emerald princess

arlee

I am intrigued how floridalover5623 has reached the conclusion "To bad they don't know any differently or have another ship to compare it to."? Really, you know this how?

Simply because of comments like "the food was the greatest" when if fact it wasn't. Not that it was terrible all the time but there were instances where it needed a lot of improvement. If they had sailed on some of the newer Princess ships I sure their outlook would be changed considerably.

Yes this was my experience & yes there were may other who though differently from what I observed on the ship. To bad they don't know any differently or have another ship to compare it to. Of course everything wasn't totally bad so I only posted what was. You're experience might be totally different as your standards are possible lower than mine.

I'll be very interested to see how we feel about the Emerald when we are on her in two weeks and I have done the Regal a few times so have the new ship experience and I do have high standards.

Hello Everyone. No matter what has been said on this board I have booked the Emerald. We booked the family suite; there are only two per ship and we are heading to Alaska, so our ship choices for a roundtrip out of Seattle were limited; that being said, we have taken in the good, the bad, and the indifferent on this thread and will have fun. See you out there.

Edited by AF-1

Simply because of comments like "the food was the greatest" when if fact it wasn't. Not that it was terrible all the time but there were instances where it needed a lot of improvement. If they had sailed on some of the newer Princess ships I sure their outlook would be changed considerably.

Hmmm interesting. I have sailed on newer Princess Ships and honestly didn't see any difference in the standard of food between them. Ultimately I guess we all experience different things on cruises and it will all come down to personal tastes in the end.

Hello Everyone. No matter what has been said on this board I have booked the Emerald. We booked the family suite; there are only two per ship and we are heading to Alaska, so our ship choices for a roundtrip out of Seattle were limited; that being said, we have taken in the good, the bad, and the indifferent on this thread and will have fun. See you out there.

Regarding cruise ships, things like food, entertainment, staff friendliness all constantly change as the chef, entertainers, CD and captain and crew come and go. So to compare those items from cruise to cruise is pretty moot, since your don't know who is on your cruise. You have to be confident in the product.

Example. On our Royal sailing, Princess had a retired British Army chef in charge. Bland tasting would be an understatement. Even the British couple who shared our table thought it was horrible. That same cruise I had air conditioning problems for all 12 days and a mystery stain on our cabin rug that made me keep my slippers on all the time. I had a wonderful cruise even though a few things were not perfect. There are design features on the new Royal and Regal that I don't care for and for those reasons I may not sail them again.

Just got off a b2b on the Emerald. We had an Italian chef..ohh so much better. We had a change in CD during the two cruises, the second CD had a personality and was very visible. The crew were the happiest group in all my sailing. But again, Princess always has great crews..IMHO. We had a fire during one of the cruises and it was handled very professionally by the captain. My AC was not working well (maybe it's me) and it was fixed very quickly. Once again, I had a wonderful cruise. Because I do like the design of the Emerald, I will try to only sail her grand class of ships.

I have sailed other cruise lines, most recently NCL. I find that the Princess product is to my liking and I always feel confident that I will be getting a great cruise. That is why I continue to return to Princess, knowing that at any time and on any ship I can have problems but I will still have a wonderful cruise. I expect perfection, but let's be real..**** happens. I know, I paid for it and therefore it should be perfect..really!!

The Emerald happens to be one of my favorite ships, I love her lay out and feel there are so many venues to enhance your cruise. I love her many pools, her dance floor in the Wheelhouse Bar, the Explorers lounge for entertainment, the promenade deck for walking, her extra large Caribe deck balconies and love standing on top of the bridge for sail away. Her outside decks have so many areas to just enjoy the ocean. During her recent drydock, carpets, furniture , mattresses and more were undated.

I'm going to the Baltic this June and chose the Emerald (#5 on her) over the Regal because of her design. That is the best choice for me. I hope we have a great captain, chef, CD, singers /dancers, crew and smooth waters. PS good AC too.

Hmmm interesting. I have sailed on newer Princess Ships and honestly didn't see any difference in the standard of food between them. Ultimately I guess we all experience different things on cruises and it will all come down to personal tastes in the end.

You honestly didn't think the food on the Regal or Royal was hands above the Emerald? To my wife & I it wasn't even a close comparison at the buffet.

Emerald (horizon) = limited selections, cool food, dried up food at 9 PM, they also ran out of items early in the evening.

Many times food was put out when it should have been discarded- hard peas that were under cooked, mashed potatoes as thin as soup, etc.

Desserts were a joke compared to the Regal/Royal. Ice tea was extremely watered down.

Royal= Many more items to select from at lunch & dinner, never a time when there was dried up food presented, always a chef roaming through the aisles checking things. They never put out an item that wasn't 100% correctly prepared.

You honestly didn't think the food on the Regal or Royal was hands above the Emerald? To my wife & I it wasn't even a close comparison at the buffet.

Emerald (horizon) = limited selections, cool food, dried up food at 9 PM, they also ran out of items early in the evening.

Many times food was put out when it should have been discarded- hard peas that were under cooked, mashed potatoes as thin as soup, etc.

Desserts were a joke compared to the Regal/Royal. Ice tea was extremely watered down.

Royal= Many more items to select from at lunch & dinner, never a time when there was dried up food presented, always a chef roaming through the aisles checking things. They never put out an item that wasn't 100% correctly prepared.

Yes, I honestly didn't see any differences. Ate exclusively in Horizon apart from Crown Grill twice, but always ate at about 6pm, never went back afterwards, so perhaps it was a timing thing. I don't drink Ice Tea so didn't experience that. Had the mashed potatoes most evenings and really enjoyed them, along with the peas so like I say, perhaps a timing thing.

I'll be very interested to see how we feel about the Emerald when we are on her in two weeks and I have done the Regal a few times so have the new ship experience and I do have high standards.

Please come back and tell us how you enjoyed it.

Yes this was my experience & yes there were may other who though differently from what I observed on the ship. To bad they don't know any differently or have another ship to compare it to. Of course everything wasn't totally bad so I only posted what was. You're experience might be totally different as your standards are possible lower than mine.

The canapes at the repeaters party are NO LONGER SERVED. Actually it's a decent money saver since they weren't that good to begin with. Also they now have some sort of concoction they call a margarita which tasted like bad Kool Aid. Many people just left them on the table after a sip or 2.

Only my observation of course.....maybe they had six of them & I didn't keep count. :D:D

Oh, did I mention that there are no chocolate covered strawberries for the Elites on formal nights. Also no butter or bread sticks served in the DR unless you ask. Again only my opinion. ;)

The ice tea at the buffet has been watered down to almost water.....again only my opinion. :p

Also jeans are allowed (not officially) on formal nights in the DR on the Emerald.

Ummn......regarding comments highlighted in black, you might want to consider some of the things that you are saying before posting them- at best they are somewhat derogatory and presumptuous and challenging that which can't be challenged - people's opinions. Implying that people have lower standards than you or don't know any better????? In any case, people searching these boards needn't look far to see, over and over again, how you felt about the Emerald.

BRANDEE, have fun in Europe. Enjoy

Thanks, ..on your cruise to Alaska on the Emerald, when in Glacier Bay try to get a view from the deck on top of the bridge. If it is too windy the doors my be locked. Go to the front of the ship through the Lido deck cabin hallway. (either side) At the end are doors leading to the top of the bridge. It might be cold and slightly windy but worth a look!

Don't know if you are a Superman Movie fan, but Glacier Bay at 7 am is all blue and I felt like I was in the Fortress of Solitude...Loved the cruise!

Yes, I honestly didn't see any differences. Ate exclusively in Horizon apart from Crown Grill twice, but always ate at about 6pm, never went back afterwards, so perhaps it was a timing thing. I don't drink Ice Tea so didn't experience that. Had the mashed potatoes most evenings and really enjoyed them, along with the peas so like I say, perhaps a timing thing.

What can be said except that some people like yourself really don't mind the major shortcomings of the Emerald buffet compared to the Royal.

Ummn......regarding comments highlighted in black, you might want to consider some of the things that you are saying before posting them- at best they are somewhat derogatory and presumptuous and challenging that which can't be challenged - people's opinions. Implying that people have lower standards than you or don't know any better????? In any case, people searching these boards needn't look far to see, over and over again, how you felt about the Emerald.

It's not meant to be derogatory but plain truthful. I see to many posts that say it was the best ever when if fact it wasn't. Those people are maybe just newbies or just don't see the poor quality of things being offered. Your standards seem to be that of accepting anything they offer without question &

raving about them. Mine are not and are probably lower than most other people on this board. There were many good points about the Emerald but I only point to the items that definitely need improvement.

I would prefer you not assume to know my standards, what I'm willing or not willing to accept or "rave" about, etc. I posted a short review of our cruise on the Emerald and included a short comparison between the two classes of ships, focusing on aspects that I and DH personally like on each class. End of story.

I would prefer you not assume to know my standards, what I'm willing or not willing to accept or "rave" about, etc. I posted a short review of our cruise on the Emerald and included a short comparison between the two classes of ships, focusing on aspects that I and DH personally like on each class. End of story.

That's understandable. Some folks are just more acceptable of what they're willing to accept as being adequate. Different strokes, etc. :D

What can be said except that some people like yourself really don't mind the major shortcomings of the Emerald buffet compared to the Royal.

WOW..............some people like myself. It appears that my honest, differing opinion to yours means that I am somehow wrong in my views because my experience was different to yours or that I somehow have a lower set of standards. As someone who sails exclusively in Full Suites I can assure you that I have the highest standards and expect them. If I do not receive them I politely let the correct people at the time know my views and then I move on..........hence managing to attain a brand new ping pong table for the EP because their current one was not of a good enough standard. I accept your experinece was simply that, your experience and it was not a good one. I do not assume superiority over any other person including yourself. I do not assume that 'newbies' to Princess or cruising cannot have a valid view because they have nothing to compare it with either.

WOW..............some people like myself. It appears that my honest, differing opinion to yours means that I am somehow wrong in my views because my experience was different to yours or that I somehow have a lower set of standards. As someone who sails exclusively in Full Suites I can assure you that I have the highest standards and expect them. If I do not receive them I politely let the correct people at the time know my views and then I move on..........hence managing to attain a brand new ping pong table for the EP because their current one was not of a good enough standard. I accept your experinece was simply that, your experience and it was not a good one. I do not assume superiority over any other person including yourself. I do not assume that 'newbies' to Princess or cruising cannot have a valid view because they have nothing to compare it with either.

I didn't say you were wrong. You're entitled to your opinions as well as anyone. It just that the glorious, raving reports I read mostly come from uninformed people. Maybe your not one or your standards are lower, whatever the case.

This forum is Cruise Critic, is it not? Therefore both good & the bad should be known so that perspective future cruisers know just what to expect.

we are sailing on the princess in March. we were looking forward to this vacation, now we're very uncertain about it, having read some very disappointing reviews. this is our first time on princess. we've sailed twice on NCL. I've read that there were many problems on the emerald - water A/C service not up to par,food not good etc etc. not want you want to read after you booked your cruise! I thought that since the ship was in drydock for 2 weeks, they would refurbish the cabins and have new wonderful mattresses - don't know if this is correct

is there anyone who's recently sailed on the emerald give me some insight. we were going to sail on the regal since it's a newer ship. now I think we've made a bad decision!

We cruised on the Emerald at Christmas 2015. The inconvenience of scalding hot water and not able to brush our teeth or take a shower in our cabin for two days was something we had never experienced in any of our cruises. We were not compensated by PRINCESS for their inability to simply supply normal temperature water to our cabin. We sailed the ROYAL PRINCESS in May 2015 and its hardly a comparison to a nearly brand new ship to one that is 9 years old. We consider ourselves lucky, we had AC when most of our deck had outages through the cruise.

We cruised on the Emerald at Christmas 2015. The inconvenience of scalding hot water and not able to brush our teeth or take a shower in our cabin for two days was something we had never experienced in any of our cruises. We were not compensated by PRINCESS for their inability to simply supply normal temperature water to our cabin. We sailed the ROYAL PRINCESS in May 2015 and its hardly a comparison to a nearly brand new ship to one that is 9 years old. We consider ourselves lucky, we had AC when most of our deck had outages through the cruise.

That's something I didn't even mention for fear that people would think I was complaining about trivial items. :rolleyes:

We only had that problem for 2 or 3 days but it was annoying. Shutting off the shower, soaping up and turning the water back on just to see how long you could stand it before you were scaled.

That's something I didn't even mention for fear that people would think I was complaining about trivial items. :rolleyes:

We only had that problem for 2 or 3 days but it was annoying. Shutting off the shower, soaping up and turning the water back on just to see how long you could stand it before you were scaled.

Well, to each their own, but in our opinion, uncontrolled temperature water supply was NOT trivial and having to schlep to the Spa to brush our teeth and shower was NOT trivial. Not to mention the steam coming out of our toilet...

Well, to each their own, but in our opinion, uncontrolled temperature water supply was NOT trivial and having to schlep to the Spa to brush our teeth and shower was NOT trivial. Not to mention the steam coming out of our toilet...

LOL! I know I shouldn't laugh, but steam coming out of the loo... :D Apparently there was a bad sailing on the Emerald, and some people were adversely impacted, but I don't see how that implies anything about the level of someone's standards. Oh well, maybe that's just me. I'm thinking it's pointless to try to bring reason into this conversation (and I'm not talking about you, napunani.)

Oh, I do agree that it's not trivial by any means. I meant trivial to some other posters who fee that comments like that are not warranted.

btw- Our water wasn't quite that hot.

I can't believe that Princess didn't change your room since it was almost next to unusable.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Emerald today and had a wonderful week! We were NOT in a suite, "just" a Caribe balcony (aft section, port side). Our AC was pleasantly cold, no problems with water temperature either -- well, one day we had to turn up the temp in the shower, think everyone must have been showering at the same time. The new beds were very comfortable, didn't have the new linens yet. Also, I know some people have complained about the towels, didn't find them thin or scratchy at all.

I'm not going to get into the food debate. Suffice it to say, we didn't go hungry.

We just got off the Emerald today and had a wonderful week! We were NOT in a suite, "just" a Caribe balcony (aft section, port side). Our AC was pleasantly cold, no problems with water temperature either -- well, one day we had to turn up the temp in the shower, think everyone must have been showering at the same time. The new beds were very comfortable, didn't have the new linens yet. Also, I know some people have complained about the towels, didn't find them thin or scratchy at all.

I'm not going to get into the food debate. Suffice it to say, we didn't go hungry.

Funny you should mention it but that what we had to do in order to use the shower most of the time. While the cold water temp on cruise ships is never really "cold" ours was overly hot during the day so we tried to schedule showers for just before dinner to make it bearable.

Our AC was just OK but never cold although it was a cool temperature cruise to the Caribbean. I can't imagine how hot it might get in the cabins at the end of March.

We also had an cabin which adjoined to the next cabin but didn't utilize it. The people in the next cabin liked to keep their balcony door open which caused hot air to blow into out cabin from under the adjoining door when they had it open. This didn't didn't help with the cooling in our cabin at all. :(

The food was OK. Not what we're used to on Princess ships at all. They could learn a lot from the chiefs on other ships for sure. ;)

In the future we'll be sailing on the newer Princess ships without all the annoying problems that come with the Emerald.

We were on the same cruise and agree with you;)

Sunday, March 6,2016...at home in Gainesville, FL

Not sure where you read the bad stuff about Emerald Princess..... I have not heard anything bad. I spent Christmas on the Royal sailing the Caribbean and it was just lovely now I'm booked on the Emerald on April 2 for a transatlantic (my second). Really looking forward to it. Princess will always be my first choice...having sailed on all others over the years. It is consistent....and that cannot always be said for other lines. (although they are mostly owned by the same company)