I Need Help with RCCL Problem

aimish

So, I know I'm being a baby, but could use some advice. I went on a nightmare of a cruise with RCCL this past February and afterwards I wrote a letter (the only time in my life I ever did this) to them to express my dissatisfaction. As a result of that letter I was given the standard money off of a next cruise.

Because of the experience onboard, my husband refuses to sail RCCL again so I thought maybe I'd take my girls this summer on Oasis, which I have heard good things about. Last night I looked at the email which contains the credit (and actually read the fine print!). It expires in April! I am so ticked off. We paid a lot of money to go on Quantum and it was awful. My dh and I are not complainers and it was bad enough for us to complain and for him to swear off the whole cruise line! The only reason I was considering giving them a second chance was because of the discount. There is no way we can go before April since we are already going away on the kids' school breaks through April.

Everyone had told me when RCCL made the offer that I should demand a partial refund of our money vs. a discount off a future cruise, but I didn't push it. Am I SOL on this? I know this isn't NCL but figure there are other NCLers here who used to deal with RCCL who may have advice.

I wouldn't even know where to call since I'm sure no one is authorized at reservations to help with this.

I think at this point you are out of luck. If you weren't happy with their offer of money off a future cruise it should have been dealt with then not going back almost a year later to ask for something different.

I don't want anything different. I want to extend the credit so I can use it this summer instead of April.

Hmmm.... Then maybe next she can try the DCL or Carnival forums? Just want to cover all bases. :cool:

I was asking on NCL because this is the forum I am usually on since I am a Gold Latitudes member and you guys have been helpful in the past. Also I know others here travel on other cruise lines, including RCL.

Sorry if my question's misplaced.

I do remember seeing another post a couple of weeks ago in which someone mentioned they had a terrible trip (I'm sorry, I don't remember the cruise line), complained, and got a credit for a future trip, but were not happy with the expiration date so they called and asked them to extend it and they did. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. You may have to put in some effort to get past the front-line staff and up to a manager who will hear out your concerns, but I would think it would be possible. I mean, they do actually have an incentive to extend it for you - if they extend it, they get you on their ship where you are more likely to pay for other things while on board, and possibly rebuild loyalty so that you cruise with them again in the future. If they don't extend it, they never get your business again.

Edited by tree.star

the cruise has to be before April? or do you just have to use the credit before April?

I would call RCCL customer service and see if it can be clarified or see if there is some way to work around it. Maybe book a cruise for April to use the credit and then before final payment change dates?

I don't want anything different. I want to extend the credit so I can use it this summer instead of April.

Have you called and asked them if you can extend it and tell them specifically which cruise you want to book? Maybe they'll extend it for you!

I had a problem on a RCCL cruise and when I got home sent an email to them requesting a partial refund of my cruise fare. They refused. We were offered a credit. I pushed back but got nowhere. They did extend the use date a bit beyond the usual one year for us when the credit was issued, but would not give us the additional time I asked for. They are pretty strict about the usage dates. We had to sail within the timeframe established on the credit, and don't grant extensions if you happen to have another vacation booked. Once the credit is issued, that's pretty much it. At least, that has been my understanding.