Freedom question

Hello! We are booked to be on the Freedom this spring in a cabin on the 9th deck. We have cruised RCI before on the Navigator. However our last 2 cruises were with Carnival. Specifically we cruised the Dream on our last trip and our cabin was directly below the lido deck (buffet). I was really nervous about noise but it wasn't a problem. Actually my husband LOVED being directly below the buffet so he could easily grab a snack or drink at any time. He would like to do the same on this cruise but he is remembering that on the Navigator the buffet was only open during meal times including water/tea/lemonade and if he wants something at odd times he will have to go to the Promenade. Is he remembering correctly? Would we be better to try to change our cabin to closer to the Promenade? Any suggestions are appreciated!!

So to clarify: the Windjammer is open all day until 9 or so, even between meals?

Check your Cruise Compass to be sure, but my recollection is that it closes for a while between meal periods.

From what I recall they have "tea hour" or something similar between about 3:00-5:00 where one side of the buffet is open with snacks (tacos, chips & queso, etc). You could also get drinks at this time. I don't recall the exact times but for the most part it seemed like you could get something there from about 7:00 am - 9:00 pm. Late at night the Promande (Sorento's or Cafe Promenade) was your only choice.

Carnival buffets close at 9:30 too but he woukd have pizza or ice cream. Bites are put out about 11Pm but that is on the oromenade deck. When was your last cruise

We last cruised Carnival in Fall 2014. We cruised RCI in Spring of 2013.

Buffet on Freedom closes at 9:30pm, after that you would have to go to Cafe Promenade or Sorrento's pizza (They are split on the Freedom Class unlike the Voyager Class) for a snack.

Cafe Promenade is open 24/7 where Sorrentos is open 11am-3ish Am.

Once it opens for breakfast the only time I have seen the Windjammers close lately is between 5-630pm when they get ready for dinner service.

I've cruised RCCL 6 times (twice on Freedom) and in my experience, the buffet is usually pretty much closed up by 9. There is room service for snacking, which to my knowledge is still free, and Café promenade is great with sandwiches, pizza and things too. We've also enjoyed going to Johnny Rockets for late night snacks, which has just a small fee.

As for your room location, are you located forward or aft on deck 9? If you are closer to the aft elevators, you wouldn't be a long ways away from cafe promenade for snacks, as most of the transit time around 9 comes from waiting for the forward elevators, which become packed when the late show lets out.

If you do decide to keep your current cabin location, we found deck 9 to be a great place to be as (as you mentioned) it is close to the pools and buffet, and it is between 2 decks of cabins, a great feature for noise. They hold parades and parties in the promenade at night at times, and all the noise and foot traffic from that make cabins near the promenade a sometimes undesirable location.

Hope my ramblings were helpful!

Just off Freedom, yep, Promenade is where you'll head for snacks after 9...my teens ate a cruise price worth of pizza and dessert from Sorrento's and Café Promenade.

The pop machines were there as well...we stayed on 6, and could access the pizza and pop in seconds...really good or bad, depending on perspective! ;)

• 2 weeks later...