Children at Christmas

jag60uk

I wasn't sure on the itinerary (I'd did you dint do both but over info never hurts)

For the Martial glacier walk in Ushuaia we caught a taxi from the pier and it cost about $5. (Pay with local currency) you get dropped at the chair lift You can pay in USD or in local currency. Local currency was about half the price, I think it was about $15usd.

The chair lift takes you to the start of the walk or you can walk up yourself under the chair lift line. We chose the chairlift so we'd have time for crab for lunch.

It's a fairly popular walk, most of the expedition staff who were not assigned to tours were doing it the day we did. The walk is also fairly exposed so wouldn't be a good option if the weather was ordinary

In Castro we did a self guided walk (brochure can be picked up near the visitors centre in the main park near the church (shuttle bus drops right there) we kept crossing the paths of the tour groups and saw one of the chef shopping for fish in the market. The fish wasn't on the menu but our waiter that night said he'd been told to look out for us at dinner and to offer i. It was really yummy.

I know TheCat did a few organised tours with a group that got together from our roll call. Maybe look back to 4 ?Jan 14 sailing roll call. Everyone was really pleased with them.

We didn't tag on because the tours were less active than we wanted to be.

Edited to add.... The walk is nothing like the hell hike in NZ , that is one of my all time favourites. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen as the weather gods are fickle in NZ. we waited 3 days to try and re do it with the kids because it was so good. It never happened (January )

Edited by MrsWaldo

MrsWaldo,

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure how it was when you did the cruise but now the cruises either go to South Georgia Island OR the Falklands. And so many friends raved about SGI that we picked that cruise so unfortunately we will not be visiting the Falklands. I do appreciate the info and I am curious about your comment regarding walking the glacier in Ushuaia. That sounds like something we would enjoy doing as we will walking on a glacier in NZ as part of a heli-hiking excursion we will be doing next month . Can you please give me more information on this?

If you want to focus on wildlife, definitely do SGI over the Falklands. The 3 days we were there (we got a bonus day) were AMAZING!!!

We did private excursions in Puerto Montt and Castro, took the free shuttle from the pier to the main square in Punta Arenas and explored on our own, and walked around in town in Ushuaia but it was windy and cloudy and on a Sunday and not much was open (be sure to be on deck for sail in and out as it's stunning scenery).

Well I am sorry we will miss the Falkland but are looking forward to SGI. Yes, wildlife viewing is a priority. Lucky you getting an extra day there. What were the private tours you took in Puerto Mott and Castro? We like to be active rather than just sitting in a car looking scenery.

What were the private tours you took in Puerto Mott and Castro? We like to be active rather than just sitting in a car looking scenery.

It was rainy and cloudy in Puerto Montt so it really put a damper on the day - couldn't see Osorno which was a disappointment. Weather improved late morning into the afternoon in Castro though and some gorgeous scenery. That said, you wouldn't be interested in either tour we did. Do know someone who did Seabourn's rafting trip in PM and loved it, if you're looking for something active. He and his wife did the horseback ride in Castro and weren't that impressed.