Thoughts on Lagomar FLL

wcolucci

We're sailing Jan 22 on the Westerdam and need to get to FLL a day earlier due to airline scheduling.

I am interested in the Lagomar...looks beautiful and seems to be a really nice take off point for a wonderful cruise. We have a one year old daughter traveling w/us...1st of MANY cruises I'm sure.

Their web site touts them as one if not the best hotel in FLL. Pricing is not too far out of line w/ anything else decent.

Any advice or possible options??

Thanks !!

We're sailing Jan 22 on the Westerdam and need to get to FLL a day earlier due to airline scheduling.

I am interested in the Lagomar...looks beautiful and seems to be a really nice take off point for a wonderful cruise. We have a one year old daughter traveling w/us...1st of MANY cruises I'm sure.

Their web site touts them as one if not the best hotel in FLL. Pricing is not too far out of line w/ anything else decent.

Any advice or possible options??

Thanks !!

It is a wonderful, very beautiful property.

One of our posters here has stayed there a few times....the last time about a month ago and she loves it.

She normally stays in very fine properties, first class accomodations and she has told us that when (if) we ever wish to move from Hyatt Pier 66 (where we always stay), that we will love Lago Mar.

Her recommendation can be taken as very reliable. :) I totally trust her judgment in this regard.

I think Peaches thought the same thing I did, that you were talking about Donald Trump's Lagomar in Palm Beach. :D

Exactly what I thought, Esme, and too quickly posted the history of the Merriweather Post estate in Palm Beach, which was purchased by Donald Trump. After posting, my brain went in gear and saw he had said FLL not PB and Trump's resort is private anyway. Thought it better to edit than have to go through the whole string of 'you're wrong' replies and just admit it to begin with. Though it is interesting to see 2 such grand estates with the same name so relatively close to each other.

WC- Glad to see you back posting and cruising. Congratulations on the baby! We had our 3rd granddaughter born 2 months ago, so know how proud you are. :D

Sail, are you talking about me again? Thank you for the vote of confidence! Now, the pressure is on not to mislead anybody. :D

Actually, I have stayed there a couple of times and have REALLY enjoyed it very much. It's now my first choice of places to stay, if the price is right, whenever I'm in the area. And, as Sail mentioned, I was in FLL on business a month ago and made a decision that I HAD to stay there to mix in some pleasure! I was certainly glad that I did! I was hungry for the ocean and just being able to walk the beach was wonderful!

Lago Mar Resort is a privately owned and managed resort and has been in the Banks family for three generations. It's obvious that they take great, personal pride in their resort, which is reflected throughout the property. I have stayed once in one of their suites, and once in their standard room, and have been very comfortable in both and would easily recommend either one.

Their staff is not only very professional, but they are also very accomodating and very personable. Many have worked at the resort for quite a few years.

Lago Mar is located on the ocean, near the point where the ships leave Port Everglades. Whenever I can, I will walk down to the point, sit on the rocks and watch the ships go out to sea . . . with a feeling of loss, like I'm being left behind. :(

Everyone has their own personal preferences and have different priorities for what they are looking for. Although I did hesitate quite a bit before booking Lago Mar the first time, I am so glad that I took the chance. Personally, this was a great find and fit for me!!

Sail, you do know me well. :)

You know that I'm capable of spending way too many hours reading the board and then disappear for months at a time. Yes, I have been lurking around again lately.

Thanks for recommending the Lago Mar on my behalf as I do believe it's a fine resort. You knew my opinions of the resort and shared it accurately. Thank you.

Thanks everyone. Looks like a great place, spoke at lenght w/ a very personable woman in reservations who gave me a nice history of the family.

My wife & I would obviously love it but my concern was if an infant would fit in. She assured me that it is a very family friendly resort.

I made the mistake of downloading the spa selections and brought them home to my wife.....It was under her teacup this morning when I went downstairs.... with about three hundred thousand dollars worth of treatments and products circled....hence, I am here at work at 6:30.

I haven't been in the ocean since Half Moon Cay in Jan 04 so i really wantd a chance to stick my toes in the water as often as I could, I can see myself now sitting on that point watching the boats depart!!!!

wcolucci ........

I just realized that you and I are sailing the same day. I'm sailing on the Volendam leaving 1/22/06. I haven't finalized my plans yet, however, I'll probably stay with my friend's family in West Palm Beach as I'll be traveling with her and hotels are booking their high season rates.

You would love staying at Lago Mar prior to your 1/22/06 cruise because 1/21/06 is a Saturday so you'll get to see LOTS of cruiseships leaving Port Everglades. (I'm already jealous and wishing I was staying there on this trip!) You don't even have to walk down to the point because you can see the ships very easily from Lago Mar's beach. The difference is at the point you can actually see the people on the decks and you'll almost feel like you can touch the ships as they pass by because they are so huge. It'll definitely get you and your wife more excited for your own cruise!!!

Lago Mar is a VERY FAMILY FRIENDLY environment! I wouldn't hesitate at all going there as a family. I always see children of all ages, from teenagers to infants. However, for those of us traveling without children, it's definitely NOT a deterent!

Let me know if you book and if you do, please post your opinion of the resort when you return.

Enjoy and have a fabulous Cruise!

Now you're getting me excited!! Yup booked for the 21st already. Had to tell my wife the spa was closed that week for their annual refit...ha!! she didn't bite!

I will certainly post a "report" when we get back........wish I could go today

Do you mean Lago Mar Resort and Club ?

http://www.lagomar.com/

If, so it does look beautiful. Sorry know nothing about it, in fact have never heard of it. I think Peaches thought the same thing I did, that you were talking about Donald Trump's Lagomar in Palm Beach. :D

Trump's place in Palm Beach is called Mar-A-Lago.

Thanks for setting me straight, Oceanwench. Got kinda mixed up there, didn't I. :D

I thought maybe the resort in Fort Lauderdale got it mixed up! ;)

I can't believe I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area [Pompano Beach] for almost four years [and lived there part-time for a few years before that] and never heard of that place.

Then again, I really wasn't looking for hotels and I didn't frequent the beach area. It looks lovely.

I thought maybe the resort in Fort Lauderdale got it mixed up! ;)

I can't believe I lived in the Fort Lauderdale area [Pompano Beach] for almost four years [and lived there part-time for a few years before that] and never heard of that place.

Then again, I really wasn't looking for hotels and I didn't frequent the beach area. It looks lovely.

Before we started cruising, we used to stay at Lighthouse Cove (before it went Time-Share) and then the Beachcomber on A1A for a few weeks every year. Haven't been back to Pompano in about 20 years - I am sure it has changed quite a bit. Spent a lot of time at Fashion Square. ;) :)

Fashion Square went through some hard times after malls opened in Boca, Fort Lauderdale and Coral Springs.

Since I've moved north to Palm Beach County, Fashion Square had undergone some changes -- I think it's CitiCenter now. I believe they were bringing in a Lowe's to anchor it.

A lot has changed in Pompano, but residents in the beach area are struggling to keep it the same and not let it become a cement city.

We rarely go south of West Palm Beach now -- except when we're heading to the port for a cruise! :)

wcolucci ........

There's a 50/50 chance that I might be staying at Lago Mar after all. I've been shopping my flights and it looks like I may fly into Fort Lauderdale instead of West Palm Beach. If I do that, then I'll probably stay in FLL instead of driving to WPB. All of that is still up in the air for now, but I did just reserve a room at Lago Mar JUST IN CASE.

If I do go, I'll be looking for a couple with excitement written all over their faces, chasing after a 1 year old little girl, hanging out around the point, eyeing the cruiseships!

We probably won't be too hard to find..:-)

That just reminded me too, my daughter loves to sit out in the front of the house w/ me after I get home and watch the cars go by...she especially loves the buses w/ the bright shrink wrap style advertising....Wait till she sees a cruise ship under sail!!!!!! She should be talking/walking by then....I tell you, I'm 46 and never thought I'd have children......I cna't wait to show her so many things we , (I), take for granted....so yes, if you see a couple or a father holding a baby babbling with delight at the sight of those ships that will most certainly be us.

wcolucci ........

There's a 50/50 chance that I might be staying at Lago Mar after all. I've been shopping my flights and it looks like I may fly into Fort Lauderdale instead of West Palm Beach. If I do that, then I'll probably stay in FLL instead of driving to WPB. All of that is still up in the air for now, but I did just reserve a room at Lago Mar JUST IN CASE.

If I do go, I'll be looking for a couple with excitement written all over their faces, chasing after a 1 year old little girl, hanging out around the point, eyeing the cruiseships!

:) You better also be looking for the couple with arms out to hug you and look forward to another great cruise together !!! ;) :D

Archived