Cooking Class at Playa Mia?

kicker

Saw an excursion that offers a cooking class at Playa Mia with free time there before and afterwards. A couple questions for all of you helpful folks:

Anyone done this? Comments?

Getting to Playa Mia: the excursion offers roundtrip bus fare for $13pp. Been to Playa Mia before, but it was a group bus excursion; been to Nachi, Sanchos and took cabs there. Any comments on bus vs cab?

Thnaks for any replies.

We did this back in 2012, we loved it! Unlimited drinks during the class, food was great. We made Shrimp Diablo, a fish dish that i can't remember, and fried plantains. Im not a fan of fish, but otherwise it all turned out fabulous.

I also had food poisoning from dinner the night before, and still managed to thoroughly enjoy the class.

We did this a few years ago and had a blast! We met at the pier and were taken to Playa Mia in a large van with a few other people. Playa Mia has a little row of shops and a nice beach and small pool and bar, and we had some time to enjoy those things before our class started. There were only 8 people in our class and we had 2 chefs who were really enthusiastic and just wanted us to have a great time. The first question they asked us was "what is the most important thing to do before starting to cook" and everybody was like "wash hands!" and they were like, no..."START DRINKING!" and then they took everyone's drink orders, which they kept flowing the entire time. They gave us chef hats and aprons and just made everything fun. We each had our own burner and skillet and supplies, and got to prepare everything on our own. We made a shrimp dish, grouper, and fried plantains and even got to decorate up our plates all fancy with sauces from squeeze bottles. Then we all sat together and ate our meal. Of course during the cooking session, they snap your picture and then while you're eating, they bring out your picture in a frame and try to sell it to you. We bought ours...it was a cute memory. I highly recommend this excursion!!!

We did this in 2010 and had a blast. It was so much fun and the people who were at our cooking station were also a blast. Word of caution, they keep the drinks flowing. We didn't do shots and some were absolutely plastered LOL. The beach free time on the lounge chairs with drinks was fun too. It wasn't a long ride back to the pier. You'll have fun. I'd definitely recommend this excursion.

We did this in 2010 and had a blast. It was so much fun and the people who were at our cooking station were also a blast. Word of caution, they keep the drinks flowing. We didn't do shots and some were absolutely plastered LOL. The beach free time on the lounge chairs with drinks was fun too. It wasn't a long ride back to the pier. You'll have fun. I'd definitely recommend this excursion.

Thanks, you sold me when you mentioned shots!! LOL

We did this excursion this past week when we were on our RCCL cruise. Absolutely a fantastic experience. I can't rate it high enough. We walked off the ship and soon were on a bus to Playa Mia with others from our ship. We were the only ones of our group doing the cooking class but our cooking class (of 13) had people from other cruise ships in port that day as well as two folks on vacation in Cozumel. It looked like the class could hold about 30 people.

Luis, our chef, and Moses, our assistant, were so much fun. The first thing they do is take your drink orders and then the drinks keep flowing. Next up is hand washing. Each person then goes to a cooking station - 4 per station and each person has their own cooking supplies so each person cooks, not just some.

We made Devil Style Shrimp Sopes, Fish Fillet with Sauteed veggies and tamarind sauce, and Carmelized Plantains with Chocolate Tequila Sauce. Best part was we got to eat it all.

After the class and lunch we had 2 hours at the beach, again drinks included.

I highly recommend the cooking class at Playa Mia

Everything I've read about this excursion sounds great. However, we're waiting to book: my 96 yr old f-in-law is currently hospitslized. Cruise chances 50/50.

Wow, 96 yrs old. That's awesome! Hope all turns out well with your father in law and you are able to take your cruise.

I did this a year ago with a group of about a dozen women. Our ship got in a bit later than others so our time here was a bit more limited and the shops were closed by the time we finished eating. They do almost all of the work for you as the prep work is done and you simply put the meals together. I don't think I would want to be chopping much after drinking... I still have my recipe "card" and swear I will make the dish for my husband. Just need the tamarind sauce. Maybe I can find some next week when I stop there again. BTW, our "chef" was not only fun but easy on the eyes. You'll enjoy it ~ don't think twice. Worth every penny!:D

We just returned home yesterday from a 5 day Constellation cruise. We booked this excursion and HAD A BLAST!

The team at Playa Mia were great, the chef, Luis, is fantastic and the menu is yummy. Of course, the drinks don't stop until you do - so for us they never did.

I highly recommend this for a fun time - worth the cost absolutely.

Note, Luis will be changing the menu within just a few weeks. I doubt those changes will make a dent in the fun.

ENJOY!

Who do you book this tour through? Is it through the cruise line or can it be booked independently? We have a Carnival cruise coming up in December but didn't see this as an option...

Thanks!

We booked it through our cruise-Royal Caribbean but there were two ladies at our class who were vacationing in Cozumel and booked the cooking class independently so my guess is if you go to the Playa Mia website, you can book the cooking class on your own. Then just take a cab from the pier to Playa Mia. It's close by.

• 1 month later...
Hello,

This excursion sounds fantastic! I will be traveling with my 15 year old son and we love to cook. Would it be appropriate for he and I to cook together? I think it sounds like so much fun!

Thanks,

This excursion would be perfect for you and your son. Each cooking station is for 4 people, divided into two pairs. It is so much fun!

We are on Independence of the Seas in April and I didn't see this offered. We signed up for Salsa Salsa & margaritas. Has anyone done that and how does it compare?

If we decide to change is it possible to book independently? Thank

you!

I did Salsa Salsa & Margaritas in Mazatlan about 5 yrs ago. It was very fun and staff was very friendly and helpful. You learn to make authentic Mexican margaritas and the margaritas keep flowing. Then the salsa and guacamole making commences which we did at our tables. I think we made 3 or 4 salsas including a dessert one. Food was brought out to eat with our salsa/guacamole and ice cream for the dessert salsa. Then came the dancing lessons. Lots of fun and laughs when you are a little loopy and loosened up lol.

I would do it again. Waiting to see if it's available on my next cruise.