Iguazzu Falls from Buenos Aires

Marianna49

My husband and I will be staying in Buenos Aires (BA) next year in anticipation of a cruise around the cape. We wanted to visit the Falls. Can anyone share their experiences with getting to the Falls from BA. Prefer not to travel by plane. Would appreciate any feedback.

My husband and I will be staying in Buenos Aires (BA) next year in anticipation of a cruise around the cape. We wanted to visit the Falls. Can anyone share their experiences with getting to the Falls from BA. Prefer not to travel by plane. Would appreciate any feedback.

If you don't travel by plane about the only viable means of transportation is an 18 plus hour bus ride. Argentina does not have a good train system and renting a car can be both expensive and not without perils (corrupt local cops who issue "fines" payable on the spot in cash, and crazy drivers who go to fast and take too many chances).

Argentina has an excellent bus system..try to find first class/Executive busses....they offer comfortable seats, minimal stops, nicer bathroom, decent food and wine, and movies on board.

Still....36 hours in a bus going and coming is a lot! And the scenery is not that good.

Not sure what to do. I have to look at air fares. Does anyone know what type of aircraft and how reliable they are. Maybe I should book through Celebrity and be done with it. :confused:

http://www.lan.com/es_ar/sitio_personas/volar_en_lan/acerca_de_lan/index.html

LAN is a part of the One World Alliance along with American Airlines and British Airways among others. LAN flies Airbus and Boeing aircraft. I have flown with them many times within Argentina. They are very reliable but sometimes do change flight times.

Aerolineas Argentina is the other primary carrier in Argentina but they are not as reliable as LAN. I avoid flying with them after one too many cancelled flights.

Not sure what to do. I have to look at air fares. Does anyone know what type of aircraft and how reliable they are. Maybe I should book through Celebrity and be done with it. :confused:

Wouldn't Celebrity be using the same airline(s) for any trip to the falls they offer? And at an added cost.

Once at the falls, it is very easy to get around by taxi or local public bus to both sides of the park. Remember that you (probably) need a visa to go to the Brazilian side (where the iconic photos are taken) that must be applied for well in advance (no matter if going with a tour or independently)..

Wouldn't Celebrity be using the same airline(s) for any trip to the falls they offer? And at an added cost.

Once at the falls, it is very easy to get around by taxi or local public bus to both sides of the park. Remember that you (probably) need a visa to go to the Brazilian side (where the iconic photos are taken) that must be applied for well in advance (no matter if going with a tour or independently)..

Do you think I should apply for visa now for 2017 trip including Argentina and Brazil? Does anyone know when they expire?

:D

Edited by Marianna49

Do you think I should apply for visa now for 2017 trip including Argentina and Brazil? Does anyone know when they expire?

A bit early for paying the Argentina reciprocity fee unless you just want to get it done now so you won't have to think of it again later. The fee is valid for 10 years for US citizens.

A bit early for paying the Argentina reciprocity fee unless you just want to get it done now so you won't have to think of it again later. The fee is valid for 10 years for US citizens.

How about Brazil? I have read several times that I need to apply well in advance. :D

Marianne49, we are flying to Iguazu this year in March after our trip to Antarctica and are doing it independently. I looked at organised tours and found it was double what I could do it for myself, even staying at the Sheraton in the park on the Argentina side. We will get a taxi to the Brazil side our first day, spend 1/2 day there and still have plenty of time to see the Argentine side before flying back to BA after two nights there. If you like I will come back here and let you know how it went after our visit. We have food free WIFI in BA.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/01/brazil-waiving-visa-requirement-this-summer/

Just found out. Brazil will waive all visa requirements for the Summer Olympics from June through September. Otherwise it is $160 like Argentina. Is it worth $320 to visit the Brazilian side of the Falls? Hmmm.:confused:

A Brazilian visa in a US passport is good for 10 years from date of issue (multi-entry, 180 days max stay per year).

A bit early to get one right now for use in 2017 , but do give yourself a few months before your departure date to make sure you have enough time to schedule an appointment, get documents together, etc. Who knows, maybe both governments will have done away with visas by then.

We did both sides of the Falls 12 months ago. We reckon the Brazilian side was actually better than the Argentinian side. Both are well worth doing though. If it is one of those 'once in a life time things' just do it and forget the cost. At the end of the day it probably is not a major portion of the total cost of your holiday.:)

We're going in 2 1/2 weeks. We're flying to Aerolinas there because they have a 5:45 AM flight to IGR (the Argentina side) and LAN back the next evening at 7:45. Most flights are out of AEP (near downtown Buenos Aires) but Aerolinas does have a few flights out of EZE if you are wanting to go directly to Iguazu after arriving in Buenos Aires on an international flight.

From what I've read, there are a lot more trails and interactions on the Argentine side but you get a panoramic view of the falls from the Brazilian side (kind of like the American vs Canadian sides of Niagara Falls). There is a boat ride under the falls from either side but it's cheaper from the Argentine side.

I hope I don't regret it but I decided not to get a Brazilian visa, as much for the aggravation as the expense. I know someone that got a taxi driver to take her to the Brazilian side without a visa and I've read reports of that too. I was thinking about seeing if we could do that the second day but then I read a recent comment that someone waited hours to get back into Argentina so that's a concern.

I'm not sure when I'd arrange it anyway. We're planning to go straight to the park from the airport and, weather permitting, we're doing the full moon tour that evening http://www.iguazuargentina.com/en/luna-llena/ so we may just stay there all day.

I read that you get somewhat of panoramic view from the boat ride so I'm hoping that will work. If not, we might see if we can get over to the Brazil side the next morning.

Does anyone know what you can see from the bridge to Brazil? I read that you can walk all the way across up to their customs office without a visa.

I will let you know how things turn out.

We're going in 2 1/2 weeks. We're flying to Aerolinas there because they have a 5:45 AM flight to IGR (the Argentina side) and LAN back the next evening at 7:45. Most flights are out of AEP (near downtown Buenos Aires) but Aerolinas does have a few flights out of EZE if you are wanting to go directly to Iguazu after arriving in Buenos Aires on an international flight.

From what I've read, there are a lot more trails and interactions on the Argentine side but you get a panoramic view of the falls from the Brazilian side (kind of like the American vs Canadian sides of Niagara Falls). There is a boat ride under the falls from either side but it's cheaper from the Argentine side.

I hope I don't regret it but I decided not to get a Brazilian visa, as much for the aggravation as the expense. I know someone that got a taxi driver to take her to the Brazilian side without a visa and I've read reports of that too. I was thinking about seeing if we could do that the second day but then I read a recent comment that someone waited hours to get back into Argentina so that's a concern.

I'm not sure when I'd arrange it anyway. We're planning to go straight to the park from the airport and, weather permitting, we're doing the full moon tour that evening http://www.iguazuargentina.com/en/luna-llena/ so we may just stay there all day.

I read that you get somewhat of panoramic view from the boat ride so I'm hoping that will work. If not, we might see if we can get over to the Brazil side the next morning.

Does anyone know what you can see from the bridge to Brazil? I read that you can walk all the way across up to their customs office without a visa.

I will let you know how things turn out.

I am envious. I have been to the falls half a dozen times and never managed to be there during a full moon. I have heard this is a wonderful tour.

You might want to check the date of the reports about sneaking across the border. It used to be very easy to do via taxi or public bus, but I have not heard of anyone who has done this in several years....and several reports about people not being allowed to cross. I was unable to cross the last two times I was there.

There's a Brazilian expert who posts regularly here. Maybe he can provide more information about the current situation.

I think your idea re the different perspectives from the Brazilian and Argentine side is correct--Brazil offers a panoramic vista and Argentina offers a closer view from the rim and the base of the falls via 3 circuits-rim, base and a tram/walkway to the top of the Devil's Throat (not to be missed)....The boat (zodiac) ride under the falls is another can't miss adventure.

People's tastes vary, but I prefer the Argentina side. I love being able to feel the force of the water from both the base trail and the Devil's throat platform. It gives you a sense of just how powerful the falls are.....

Whether you make it to both sides or not, a trip to the falls is an unforgettable experience. Niagara pales by comparison. Have a great trip.

Edited by dr__dawggy

I am envious. I have been to the falls half a dozen times and never managed to be there during a full moon. I have heard this is a wonderful tour.

You might want to check the date of the reports about sneaking across the border. It used to be very easy to do via taxi or public bus, but I have not heard of anyone who has done this in several years....and several reports about people not being allowed to cross. I was unable to cross the last two times I was there.

Thanks. I'd pretty much resigned myself to not going to Brazil but that's good to know. Now I can concentrate on maximizing our experience on the Argentine side.

Yes, when I read about the full moon event I immediately checked the phase of the moon and added 4 days to the front end of our trip to catch the last day of the tour. Then I told my husband we had to get to Niagara Falls while we could still appreciate it so we did a last minute trip in July :D. I just hope the full moon tour doesn't get cancelled because we only have the one night to catch it.

Since you've been so many times, can you answer a few more questions? I'm running out of time for research and, hopefully, the answers will help the original poster and others.

Is it true that the boat ride will give us a little bit of the Brazilian type view? We're doing the short boat ride, not the full jungle tour.

Is there any value in walking across the bridge at the border crossing? I don't want to waste my time if there's nothing much to see.

I've seen recs to go early and go straight to Diablo's Throat and I've seen recs to go to the boat to the falls first. We like to hike and we go hard all day. We want to do all the trails, including Macuco, and take the ferry over to San Martin Island. If the flight cooperates, we plan to be there first thing both days so, in theory, we could do one one day and another the next. But sun and timing can also play a big factor in the view. If we have great weather both days, are there any places that have especially good views at a specific time of the day? If sunshine is in short supply, are there any areas that:

• we should give priority to seeing in the sun?
  • try to avoid in the rain?
  • are least impacted by the weather?

I've read that it takes about 2 hrs each for the upper and lower trail but I assume that doesn't include the ferry over to San Martin Island from the lower trail. Any idea how long to allow for that?

What's the deal on walking the green trail vs taking the train in the beginning? I read that the train only comes every 30 min and doesn't start until 8:30 and the walk isn't that bad. So does it make sense to just walk it if we're trying to get there as early as possible?

Time permitting, I've also got the Guira Oga- wildlife rehab center

http://www.guiraoga.com.ar/refugio_visitenos.php

the Jardin de los Picaflores https://www.facebook.com

/jardindelospicafloresiguazu and a view of the Three Rivers Frontier (border of Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina) on my to do list.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Marianna

We did this trip last year. We were on the Infinity for 57 days, starting with an Antarctica cruise. We spent a couple of days in Buenos Aires before we flew on Lan to Iguassu Falls. We left the bulk of our luggage at the hotel in Buenos Aires (they stored it for us, along with many other passengers doing a similar trip). We returned there for one more night before we boarded the Infinity.

When it was time to board we took a bus out to where the plane was and we walked up steps to get on board (just like the old days) The flight was on time and we didn't have any concerns.

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights. Our TA arranged this for us and our tour guide met us when we landed and drove us to the Sheraton. He took us on our walking tour of the Falls (we had a two day tour with him). He was fantastic. We had Brazilian visas from a previous trip in 2013 so we did go to the Brazilian side. If we didn't have those visas, I'm not sure I would have paid to get them just for the falls, unless I planned to go to Brazil in the future.

We did the boat ride under the falls....be warned you do get wet! They give you large plastic water proof bags for your cameras etc. We wore our bathing suits under a t-shirt and shorts.

It really is worth the trip. You'll enjoy it.

Having done both sides there is no way I would want to miss out on the Brazil side. Unless you are likely to do it some other time I would make sure you do it now, but of course to each his own and everyone has their own opinion and this is just mine. I will never ever regret paying the extra cost to do it.:)

We did the falls in one long day from BA based upon a recommendation from a friend.. We flew on Aeolians Argentina both ways and had arranged for a private guide to pick us up at the airport in Igusau, take us on a tour (he had a few shortcuts & brought us to excellent viewpoints, etc, )then he took us back to the airport. All very easy and about 50% of the cost of the ship's excursion. We choose not to stay overnight since we wanted to spend more time in BA. I think you have to decide what's more important to you. PS the view from the Argentine side was quite spectacular.

Edited by dabear

My parents went on a whirldwind trip to S.America.

They flew from Buenos Aires to Iguazu - Cataratas del Iguazú International Airport (which is in Argentina). The flight was via LAN airlines. Here is the video.

[YOUTUBE]kM-7I9v6KWE [/YOUTUBE]

From the airport they visited the Argentinian side and saw the Devil's Throat.

[YOUTUBE]1Tp_fBmUP7M[/YOUTUBE]

The Devil's Throat proper.

[YOUTUBE]GzzQRcAEggI[/YOUTUBE]

All very nice. But nothing was as spectacular as what they would see the next day when they crossed over to the Brazillian side by coach. I will post those videos once I get them sorted out.

We just returned home yesterday from our second visit to South America, including Iguacu/Iguazu Falls both times.

The first trip (December 2013) was a land tour which included 2 nights in a hotel in the town of Foz do Iguacu (Brazil). We had a half day tour in the Brazilian National Park and a half day tour in the Argentinian National Park. We flew into IGU (Brazil) from Rio de Janeiro and out of IGR (Argentina) to Buenos Aires.

This latest trip we stayed two nights at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas in the Brazilian National Park. So we had two half days at the beginning and end of our stay. The whole day in the middle we spent on a tour of the Argentinian National Park. We flew to IGR (Argentina) from Buenos Aires on Aerolineas Argentinas, and out of IGR to Buenos Aires on LAN.

After both trips we still prefer the Brazilian side of the falls. There is nothing like those views of the falls. However, in my opinion, anyone visiting the falls should do their utmost to visit both sides, which are quite different.

The Belmond Hotel das Cataratas has a much better position than the Sheraton, which we got to visit this last trip – it is much closer to the falls and superb views. Being able to wander the park before the crowds of people arrived, and after they left, was truly magical.

There are more walks on the Argentinian side, so if you want to do the 3 main ones which are the best (Garganta del Diablo trail, Circuito Inferior and Circuito Superior) you need more time there than on the Brazilian side. It pays to start first thing in the morning by taking the first train at 8.30am which goes from the entrance of the park to the Devil’s Throat (Circuito Garganta del Diablo). This is the only train which goes all the way to the Devil’s Throat – later in the day you have to change trains at the Cataratas Station. This could save you a lot of time. The trains get very busy and run only every half an hour. Once they are full you miss out and have to wait for the next train.

We had two different experiences visiting the falls. The first time we saw very little wildlife, the second time lots of birds and countless coatis. Apparently this was because of the weather – we had rain and less sun the second visit, which brings the birds out. There was much more water flowing over the falls the second visit, which was impressive, but the water was browner.

We would do the falls again if we ever have the opportunity to return to South America. We would again want to stay at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, but would again also want to visit both sides. This is a lifetime experience which we have been lucky enough to do twice so far and would never tire of doing again.

Hope this helps some people looking for info on doing the falls as an add on - absolutely well and truly worth it!

We just returned home yesterday from our second visit to South America, including Iguacu/Iguazu Falls both times.

The first trip (December 2013) was a land tour which included 2 nights in a hotel in the town of Foz do Iguacu (Brazil). We had a half day tour in the Brazilian National Park and a half day tour in the Argentinian National Park. We flew into IGU (Brazil) from Rio de Janeiro and out of IGR (Argentina) to Buenos Aires.

This latest trip we stayed two nights at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas in the Brazilian National Park. So we had two half days at the beginning and end of our stay. The whole day in the middle we spent on a tour of the Argentinian National Park. We flew to IGR (Argentina) from Buenos Aires on Aerolineas Argentinas, and out of IGR to Buenos Aires on LAN.

After both trips we still prefer the Brazilian side of the falls. There is nothing like those views of the falls. However, in my opinion, anyone visiting the falls should do their utmost to visit both sides, which are quite different.

The Belmond Hotel das Cataratas has a much better position than the Sheraton, which we got to visit this last trip – it is much closer to the falls and superb views. Being able to wander the park before the crowds of people arrived, and after they left, was truly magical.

There are more walks on the Argentinian side, so if you want to do the 3 main ones which are the best (Garganta del Diablo trail, Circuito Inferior and Circuito Superior) you need more time there than on the Brazilian side. It pays to start first thing in the morning by taking the first train at 8.30am which goes from the entrance of the park to the Devil’s Throat (Circuito Garganta del Diablo). This is the only train which goes all the way to the Devil’s Throat – later in the day you have to change trains at the Cataratas Station. This could save you a lot of time. The trains get very busy and run only every half an hour. Once they are full you miss out and have to wait for the next train.

We had two different experiences visiting the falls. The first time we saw very little wildlife, the second time lots of birds and countless coatis. Apparently this was because of the weather – we had rain and less sun the second visit, which brings the birds out. There was much more water flowing over the falls the second visit, which was impressive, but the water was browner.

We would do the falls again if we ever have the opportunity to return to South America. We would again want to stay at the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas, but would again also want to visit both sides. This is a lifetime experience which we have been lucky enough to do twice so far and would never tire of doing again.

Hope this helps some people looking for info on doing the falls as an add on - absolutely well and truly worth it!

This is very useful, thanks! Iguazu/Iguacu is also on my bucket list. But no immediate plans to go there. Glad my parents did it.

After viewing the Argentinian side of the park, my parents would make their way to the Brazil side and view the Falls from the Brazil side the next day. Not sure whether they stayed in a hotel that evening in the Argentinian side or Brazil side, however, they took a coach across. So let me continue the review again from the Brazil side. This was the next morning, after they saw the Devil's Throat.

Here it is - Parque Nacional Do Iguacu, website http://www.cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/

117fb6x.jpg

Now this ticket is one for the memories. Check out the date. And also - Cingapura!

6pattt.jpg

The group had to take some type of open-air jeep ride and there was a guide talking about the flora and fauna, before they reached the area to view the falls. This is the video. The scenes of the waterfalls are awesome. Much better from the Brazil side compared to the Argentinian side!

[YOUTUBE]VbgVsCZoxUw[/YOUTUBE]

Here are some more still pictures.

2j2gvtk.jpg

Wow, just wow.

33o7ej6.jpg

You can get really close.

vpf0gg.jpg

After viewing all these pictures, I figured that I need to go to check it out for myself! Bucket list!

102wih1.jpg

We were scheduled to go on a coastal South American cruise this month but had to cancel at the last minute. One of the pre-cruise excursions we planned was to Iguazu Falls, booked through an agency. Cost: $860 per person, including pickup from hotel, flight to Iguazu, 2 nights at the Sheraton including New Year's Eve dinner, guided tour, flight back to BS with transfer to hotel. I thought that was better than what we could do independently. If you would like more info, I'd be glad to give it to you.

I noticed you have been cruising with Norwegian. Is your South America cruise on the Norwegian Sun? That's what we booked for next year and would appreciate feedback if that is what you have chosen.

Travel safely and enjoy!

Elaine