Aer Lingus

Has anyone flown Aer Linus lately. If so, can you give me some baggage help? Their checked baggage allowence is very generous, two 70 lb bags is way more than we need. It is the carry on allowence that has me worried.

My carry on is 22'' tall and the DH's is 20" tall. Do they inforce the 18" tall or do they let it go like on US airlines. I had planned on taking my laptop but, they only let you each carry on one item.

Please send help

My only experience with this horrid airline was last summer, when we flew from Heathrow to Dublin and back again. I don't remember any problems with the size and number of bags, but beware that they are strict in not handling overweight luggage. My wife, who is handicapped, uses an electric cart. Every other airline we've ever taken allows her to wheel up to the plane, they take her cart (which folds up like a baby stroller) and store it below, and then bring it back at arrival so she can drive herself up the passenger ramp and through the airport. Not Aer Lingus! They refused to deliver the cart back to her, sent it through the checked luggage, and then refused to help her handle the cart when it arrived at baggage claim, saying they didn't want to risk hurting their backs. My handicapped wife did it herself. I hope you have better luck. I can see why they are in financial trouble. They deserve it.

We flew Aer Lingus about a year ago from Germany to Dublin. I'd asked our travel agent to check on their luggage rules. She was told they would follow the rules for international flights. When we got to check in at the airport we had to do a lot of talking to get them to do that. We were told we should have gotten it in writing. They finally accepted our luggage without extra charges, but they made it clear that they didn't have to.

There is a big difference depending on the route you fly:

Between the US and Europe- they use the piece concept: 2 bags pp plus a carryon plus a personal item (pocketbook, camerabag, or laptop) The weight limit is between 50-70 lbs.

Between cities in Europe- they use the weight concept: total weight for all bags not to exceed 20 kilos or 44 pounds.

If you purchase separate tickets, the airlines will most likely use the piece concept to Europe & the weight concept onward.

Be careful about this. Aer Lingus now charges 4 Euros for every extra kilo.

That's $50 for 22 pounds!

Between the US and Europe- they use the piece concept: 2 bags pp plus a carryon plus a personal item (pocketbook, camerabag, or laptop) The weight limit is between 50-70 lbs.
For Aer Lingus, it's 32 kg = 70 lbs. But remember that this is also the absolute maximum weight limit for any single bag (for health and safety reasons). Anything over that will be refused until it's been brought below that weight limit.

having flown with Aer Lingus as recently as last Sunday, October 2nd, (Orlando-Dublin)I can say that they have always been great. (maybe I'm biased coz im Irish!). With regards to hand luggage, I had 3 pieces - a regular backpack, a gym bag, and a shoulder bag, and had no problems with anyone. With my checked luggage, I had a large Samsonite hardshell suitcase, that was slightly overweight, and they gave me as much time as I wanted to rearrange my luggage, but they are generally understanding at checkin. For health and safety reasons, you have to stay within the limits.

having flown with Aer Lingus as recently as last Sunday, October 2nd, (Orlando-Dublin)I can say that they have always been great. (maybe I'm biased coz im Irish!). With regards to hand luggage, I had 3 pieces - a regular backpack, a gym bag, and a shoulder bag, and had no problems with anyone. With my checked luggage, I had a large Samsonite hardshell suitcase, that was slightly overweight, and they gave me as much time as I wanted to rearrange my luggage, but they are generally understanding at checkin. For health and safety reasons, you have to stay within the limits.

thanks Carleigh and the others. My husband is Irish, a Sweeney, and that is one reason I chose Aer Lingus. We will be on the ground in Dublin and we WILL have a pint just to be able he was there once in his life. We will be well under the 70 pounds with three bage for the two of us. I just want to know if the two of us can board with a 18 and 20 inch tall bag plus on lap top. And it sound like you had no trouble Carleigh. Thank You once again.

While I haven't flown aer lingus, we just booked with them. Their website has specific information on baggage limits, and they responded to our requests via e-mail promptly. I'd send them an e-mail request with your question, then take the printed response with you in case there is a problem.

I was hoping to hear if anyone got on with more than the stated size and/or wieght. I have been hearing of it being common to lose bages. I was hoping to have enough in the carryon to get by two days in Rome with. The carring on weigh 7 and 9 pounds allowing 7 and 5 pounds in them. That will only allow meds and valuables, no cloths.

I was hoping to hear if anyone got on with more than the stated size and/or wieght. I have been hearing of it being common to lose bages. I was hoping to have enough in the carryon to get by two days in Rome with. The carring on weigh 7 and 9 pounds allowing 7 and 5 pounds in them. That will only allow meds and valuables, no cloths.

Thanks for all your help!

Archived