First time to Roatan, Beliz, Costa Maya and Cozumel by Cruise. Need help with tours.

We're a family of four, two adults and two children of 7 and 17. During the winter break ( Feb 13-22) we booked a cruise from Tampa, FL. Our cruise will take us to Rotan Island, Honduras, Belitz, Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. Please advise us which tours we should take in each port. If you know any tour company at any of those ports, please tell us. Should we take the tours from the cruise ships or take those after arrival at the port which will be cheaper.

Someone advised to check cruisecritic.com "Roll calls" which I did . We have only 13 members, not much activities in the forum and not much help from my posting at that .

YOu can find information about all these ports.

Also post in the thread of the cruiseline that you are sailing and fellow travelers can give you opinions of tours they have taken.

In Cozumel if your children like the beach, grab a cab at the port to Paradise Beach--took our teens there in March & they loved it.

Edited by KKB

We just came back from some of these ports last week. Me, 49, husband, 49, teens 16 and 18.

Cozumel: we took a cab from the pier to Mr. Sanchos beach. $10 per person return. It was about 10-15 min from pier, I think. Great relaxing beach day. Excellent food. We don't drink, so selected the a la carte side rather than the all inclusive side which is $55 per person. No charge to enter a la carte side as long as you buy some food or drinks. Excellent service, great facilities. Check them out on trip advisor.

Costa Maya: we booked privately through Native Choice Tours and did the Mayan Experience for $75 per person. One of the best historical, cultural, culinary tours we have ever taken. There is a lot of information about them on the ports of call section here. Also, go on trip advisor and look at the reviews and pictures. I highly recommend this tour and think your kids would also have a great time.

Roatan: we took a cab to West Bay Beach. Pretty expensive as it's about 30 min from pier. It was $30 per person return. The cab waits for you and brings you back. They gave us a bit of a mini tour on the drive. We were taken to a resort and paid $10 per person to use their facilities and lounge chairs. It was a nice resort, but I found the area a little bit crowded. However the rest of the family said it was one of the best beaches for water and sand that they have ever been to, ranking only Mykonos and Antigua above it. We also went to Grand Cayman's 7 mile Beach which they ranked just below West Bay Beach. The resort we were on was Henry Morgan, but I think there are probably better ones. Check out Bananarama at West Bay Beach. I believe they have a $30 per person package to pick up, drop off, use of facilities, lounge chairs, and one drink. I have no experience with the place, however. Just read about it on different sites.

I highly advise booking on your own. Huge cost savings and you're not stuck with a huge herd of busses. For example, Native cChoice started our tour an hour after we docked and we were the first ones at the Mayan ruins. We saw most of it before the bus loads from the cruise excursions pulled up. Cozumel, you can definitely do right at the pier.

Edited by h-sar

Wow, you gave me the best advice that I was looking for. I got almost everything I was looking for. Please advise for the following questions .....Thank you so much.

1. Cozumel : Mr. Sachos Beach - A la Carte side - do we need to buy any entrance tkts in advance ?

2. Costa Maya - Native Choice for Mayan Experience - Did you book in advance or at the port ?

3. Roatan Islands : Reserved through Bodden Tours - no advanced deposit - $40 per person, city tour, island tour with two hours at the west bay beach . Is it enough time for West Bay Beach.

4. Beliz - Will book through Reggie's tour for Alta Ha Mayan tour.

Wow, you gave me the best advice that I was looking for. I got almost everything I was looking for. Please advise for the following questions .....Thank you so much.

1. Cozumel : Mr. Sachos Beach - A la Carte side - do we need to buy any entrance tkts in advance ?

The great thing about Cozumel is that there is no reason to book in advance, especially if you're looking for a beach break. There is no entry fee into Mr. Sanchos - they just want to ensure that you'll buy a bit of food/drinks. I would try to get there by 10:00 or so (depending on when your ship comes in, of course) so that you can get a prime area. We set up at the far left of the a la carte side (when you're facing the water), so didn't have any neighbors to the left of us at all. We were able to get a lovely palapa table and then as many loungers as we wanted behind it, which we set up under a tree for shade. They have a great website that gives you info on their water activities etc. My kids ended up doing a jet ski which was further to the right, past the all inclusive side. They also have an inflatable water park for a fee, but my kids are too old for that. Honestly, it was a fantastic day. We all recommend the coconut shrimp (a bit pricey for four of them, but they're huge) and the chicken fajitas were awesome.

2. Costa Maya - Native Choice for Mayan Experience - Did you book in advance or at the port ?

It's one you will need to book in advance. However, if you're doing the Mayan ruins in Belize on the same cruise, I don't know that you want to do the ruins in Costa Maya. The ruins are very similar, but Belize is a much bigger compound of temples. If I had to pick one (we did Belize 4 years ago), I'd pick Costa Maya for the cultural part in the second half of the day to the village and house. It totally made the trip for us.

3. Roatan Islands : Reserved through Bodden Tours - no advanced deposit - $40 per person, city tour, island tour with two hours at the west bay beach . Is it enough time for West Bay Beach.

Two hrs at West Bay Beach is plenty. Just tell Bodden what you're looking for in terms of a beach location and they should be able to take you to the part that best meets your family's needs.

4. Beliz - Will book through Reggie's tour for Alta Ha Mayan tour.

Please see my responses in your bullets above.

You have some great stops on your cruise. We just got home last Sunday, but I'm already envious!!

Edited by h-sar

I can't explain how much I'm thankful to you. You gave me a great presentation of these tours, places to visit, beaches to go. After reading your thread, I've booked Mayan experience with the Native Choice. Will do the Mr.Sanchos Beach at Cozumel, Roatan..Bodden tour, was a mistake -$30/pp and city tour + West Bay beach...Costa Maya - Native Choice..For Beliz....May be Alta Hun Mayan ruins or cave tubing. Heard a lot of good things about cave tubing there. Again, thanks a lot.....

I can't explain how much I'm thankful to you. You gave me a great presentation of these tours, places to visit, beaches to go. After reading your thread, I've booked Mayan experience with the Native Choice. Will do the Mr.Sanchos Beach at Cozumel, Roatan..Bodden tour, was a mistake -$30/pp and city tour + West Bay beach...Costa Maya - Native Choice..For Beliz....May be Alta Hun Mayan ruins or cave tubing. Heard a lot of good things about cave tubing there. Again, thanks a lot.....

I found that trip advisor and, of course, cruise critic were essential to the planning of this last cruise, and they both came through with flying colours!

Isn't Mr Sanchos the place that only takes in 100 persons per day? If I'm not mistaken, if it is, better to make a reservation. Or check the cruise time tables to see how many are in port that day. I always check, and that helps me make my decisions of what to do. For example, we had a day in Cozumel that only had 2 or 3 ships. Usually there can be upwards of 5 or 6(?) and lots of pax. We did Tulum that day and it was not crowded at all. If you or your kids love Mayan ruins, Tulum is great and beautiful--that is if it's not crowded.

Also Lamanai (Belize) is the largest Mayan site and is a great excursion and an adventure to get to the site. A really thrilling speedboat ride to and from the site. It's a long day, like Tulum, and both you have to book with the cruiseline. Most likely it will run late, so no fear of being left behind. It's a lot farther than Altun Ha, but a lot bigger site. I loved it there.

Another thing for Belize is any of the many cayes they have for the best snorkeling! We also did Goff's Caye and it was great. Huge coral, lots of sealife. You must book something in Belize, otherwise there is hardly anything to do in the port area. If you go outside, the locals are very assertive and pushy.

Roatan, bring bug spray! The sand fleas got me good there. I was warned about bugs for Belize, but I got way more bit up in Roatan. We did Maya Key. I would not recommend Maya Key. The reef is dead. No color. There is similar snorkeling available right off the beach where the ships dock so you can hang out there free if you wish.

I have links in my signature if you wish to read my reviews/pictures.

Edited by whataboutport

Isn't Mr Sanchos the place that only takes in 100 persons per day? If I'm not mistaken, if it is, better to make a reservation. Or check the cruise time tables to see how many are in port that day. I always check, and that helps me make my decisions of what to do. For example, we had a day in Cozumel that only had 2 or 3 ships. Usually there can be upwards of 5 or 6(?) and lots of pax. We did Tulum that day and it was not crowded at all. If you or your kids love Mayan ruins, Tulum is great and beautiful--that is if it's not crowded.

Also Lamanai (Belize) is the largest Mayan site and is a great excursion and an adventure to get to the site. A really thrilling speedboat ride to and from the site. It's a long day, like Tulum, and both you have to book with the cruiseline. Most likely it will run late, so no fear of being left behind. It's a lot farther than Altun Ha, but a lot bigger site. I loved it there.

Another thing for Belize is any of the many cayes they have for the best snorkeling! We also did Goff's Caye and it was great. Huge coral, lots of sealife. You must book something in Belize, otherwise there is hardly anything to do in the port area. If you go outside, the locals are very assertive and pushy.

Roatan, bring bug spray! The sand fleas got me good there. I was warned about bugs for Belize, but I got way more bit up in Roatan. We did Maya Key. I would not recommend Maya Key. The reef is dead. No color. There is similar snorkeling available right off the beach where the ships dock so you can hang out there free if you wish.

I have links in my signature if you wish to read my reviews/pictures.

Nachi Cocom has the 100 person limit. I also got bitten in Roatan. Still scratching!

http://www.cavetubing.bz

I really can't say enough great things about this company. It was the most hospitable, conscientious and well run private tour we've ever been on - complete with pick-up at the pier by the owner's son and lunch cooked by Grandma! The caves were amazing too. (But don't make the same dumb mistake I did - went in with my prescription sun-glasses on and had a hard time seeing in the dark. :p)

Edited by ronandannette

Bodden Tours in Roatan was great, we are heading to Little French Key this time though, nothing but great reviews. The Altun Ha tour in Belize is a great experience but it's a long ride and a lot of climbing just FYI. And yes locals in Belize can be very abrasive just outside the gates, just learn to say NO lol