San Francisco precruise hotel and transporation

Silent Penguin

Scott -- Thanks for your suggestions and information, as I am still planning and haven't booked the cruise yet. You asked about "budget". Two of the past trips were business trips or trade shows for hubby (& I tagged along), all paid for by his company. But now we are retired and have been paying for hotels ourselves for past 15 years!!! While we will not book the cheapest hotels, I look for comfort and good value (or a deal), usually within Marriott-Hyatt-Hilton etc groups. Some Best Westerns, Holiday Inns & Country Inns. We have Wyndham timeshare, but the timeshare hotel in SF is unavailable for our dates. I am open to changing our hotel choice, but I chose the Courtyard based on it's proximity to cable car turnaround, and I always check Marriott 1st.

(By the way, our TA for this cruise is located in the Bay Area and she grew up in North Beach, so she is planning to suggest 2 restaurants.)

Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations on taxi vs shuttle vs limo/town car service from airport to hotel, and from ship to airport (SFO)? Appreciate the suggestions for BART, but don't think we are that adventuresome. We dragged luggage around European airports & trains 2 years ago, but we are past that!!! Rather pay a driver who will safely & quietly take us to our destination with only minimal discussion.

If you have infinite patience, a shared shuttle like SuperShuttle is $34 ($17 each) plus a small tip; a taxi runs about $50-60, plus tip, it just depends on the time of day and traffic.

UberX, if you have a smartphone, runs around $30-40 and would be my top pick.

If you are feeling flush, Pleasant Limo Town Cars run around $60 + tip I believe.

As far as gourmet, clam chowder in a bread bowl is an inexpensive tradition for walk-away food at the Wharf. People love it.

Clam chowder in a bread bowl is not gourmet, not very San Franciscan and certainly not a tradition.

Clam chowder is an east coast thing. San Francisco is know for cioppino. Cioppino dates to the late 1800's and the Italian and Portuguese fisherman who sailed the waters.

Clam chowder in a bread bowl didn't appear in SF until the 1990's.

• 1 month later...

We are doing a stop over in San Francisco arriving early afternoon on a Monday next Jan and then flying out Thurs morning at 9 am for Honolulu.

I have received some tips from this thread but basically with 2 1/2 days in San Francisco and hearing about parking issues I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to rent a car ?

Also, since it is our first visit to San Fran I was wondering what the "Must Do's" would be for first timers ? and what would be the recommended area to book a hotel in ? Middle of the row price range is where we usually book.

Thanks in advance .... Dave

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

We are doing a stop over in San Francisco arriving early afternoon on a Monday next Jan and then flying out Thurs morning at 9 am for Honolulu.

I have received some tips from this thread but basically with 2 1/2 days in San Francisco and hearing about parking issues I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to rent a car ?

Also, since it is our first visit to San Fran I was wondering what the "Must Do's" would be for first timers ? and what would be the recommended area to book a hotel in ? Middle of the row price range is where we usually book.

Thanks in advance .... Dave

I'm far from being an expert but was in SF pre-cruise recently, this was our experience and we had a great time....even though it rained almost non-stop for 2 days!

Stayed 5 nights in Comfort Inn on the Bay - prebooked Speedy Shuttle from the airport and had no issues.

Comfort Inn on the Bay is on the corner of Lombard and VanNess, not in the heart of Fisherman's Wharf or Downtown, but it turned out to be very convenient for taxis (a taxi stand right outside the door), local buses to Fisherman's Wharf, to Downtown, to Golden Gate Bridge and beyond, walkable to Fisherman's Wharf, not much in the way of restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel (there is a sub shop across the street and a small Korean Bistro next to the hotel on Lombard side).

Our sightseeing included:

Walk to Aquatic Park, then along to Hyde Pier (historic ships), then a fun ride on the Powell/Hyde cable car to Downtown. Coming back we got off at Lombard "crooked street", then walked back to the hotel (3 blocks downhill :p )

Ghiradelli's, Fishermans Wharf, Pier 45 for USS Pampanito WWII submarine tour and a museum of old arcade games (still working), Boudin's Bakery (even if you don't want to eat, worth a visit), Pier 39 - shopping, restaurants, and a load of barking seals :p

Golden Gate Transit (local bus) to Sausalito for lunch, then the bus back to the last stop on the north side of GG bridge. Walked across the bridge then MUNI bus back to the hotel.

Alcatraz night tour (pre-book online)

Pleasant walk through Fort Mason Park to the Marina area (on our way to Safeway for wine!!! :p )

HTH

Are there any hotels in SF that allow you to part in their lot while cruising? There are in LA (San Pedro), but curious whether any in San Francisco? Thanks!

I don't have a definitive answer, but parking is extremely limited in San Francisco. The hotels usually have very small parking lots and they discourage people from bringing a car, even during their stay there. I don't imagine that there are any hotels that allow you to park for free while you stay there, let alone while you're away at a cruise. For example, if you stay at the Fairmont Hotel, it's an extra $66/day to park your car. There should be hotels near SFO airport that will allow you to park during your cruise, "if" you buy a special package. But the airport is not in San Francisco. It's about a 30 minute drive to the south. It's not a convenient place to stay if you want to spend any time in the city.

Parking near the San Francisco cruise port is about $18/day, but you need a reservation, and you may need to pay in advance.

If you want to spend any time in the city, then it seems that flying will be the best option. If you have two people, then cost of your flights may be comparable to what you would otherwise pay for parking. Good luck.

Then you can just park at one of the port lots. See this link:

http://sfport.com/cruise

We're still not sure how we will get to the port from San Jose, a 50 mile drive. We may take a shuttle, we may drive and park, but we will probably take the train into the city, then take Uber from the train station to pier 27. See you on the cruise...

Are there any hotels in SF that allow you to part in their lot while cruising? There are in LA (San Pedro), but curious whether any in San Francisco? Thanks!

The answer is no. Even if they did the price would be out of most of our ranges. If you elect to drive your options would be the lot near the dock at 55 Francisco or to overnight and park near the airport and then arrange your transport from there. You will have to decide on cost , convenience and how your post cruise plans fit in.