Will I make my flight?

I'm thinking about taking a 10:20 a.m. flight back from Tampa to Phila after our Grandeur cruise which is scheduled to be back in port at 7:00 a.m. Is this too risky? All the other flights that day are booked up or cost way too much money. I know that the port is not far from the airport, but will I be able to make sure that we are off the ship in time for airport check-in? If anyone has done this "early flight" thing. I don't want to be stressing about it all week while we are on vacation. Thanks!

Personally I would not book a flight that early. Considering you need to be at the airport to check in by 8:30-9 you are really pushing it. The ship may be in port by 7am but it is up to immigration clearing the ship before you can get off. In past cruises we have not been cleared till well after 8:30. Usually it is done early and you can get the white tags that let you off 7:30-8.

Untill immigration clears the ship no one is getting off...

Funcruiser

Thank you to all who replied. I knew in my heart it would not be a good idea, and you have all confirmed that for me, so I will not do it. We can still use the airfare booked for us by RCCL. It may cost a little more, but the peace of mind will make it well worth it. Decision made, subject closed. Thanks again fellow cruisers!

I think the best motto is this: If you'll worry about making your flight, then it is too early. Our rule of thumb is never make a post-cruise flight until noon or after. The newest airport security measures slow things down a bit, and the cruise line won't guarantee when you will be able to disembark. For piece of mind while you are on vacation, make your flight noon or later. Also, if you have to get from the Miami port to the Ft Lauderdale airport or vice versa, book a flight after 1pm, if possible.

Hi cruise 3122 There is a flight from Tampa to Philly with AIRTRAN that leaves Tampa at 1200 noon. Arrives in Philly at 235pm. My daughter just used that flight on Sunday. I think the flight number 774 or 714. Good luck. Judi :)

I think the best motto is this: If you'll worry about making your flight, then it is too early. Our rule of thumb is never make a post-cruise flight until noon or after. The newest airport security measures slow things down a bit, and the cruise line won't guarantee when you will be able to disembark. For piece of mind while you are on vacation, make your flight noon or later. Also, if you have to get from the Miami port to the Ft Lauderdale airport or vice versa, book a flight after 1pm, if possible.

Another rule of thumb is that if the earlier flight is a lot cheaper than the later flight, then the airlines know it is too early for a cruiser to be able to catch it.

I'm thinking about taking a 10:20 a.m. flight back from Tampa to Phila after our Grandeur cruise which is scheduled to be back in port at 7:00 a.m. Is this too risky? All the other flights that day are booked up or cost way too much money. I know that the port is not far from the airport, but will I be able to make sure that we are off the ship in time for airport check-in? If anyone has done this "early flight" thing. I don't want to be stressing about it all week while we are on vacation. Thanks!

I made it for an 11:40 a.m. flight out of Tampa when I was on the Disney Magic (Port Canaveral). Got off the ship like 6:30am and hauled a** to Tampa. Made it with time to spare, but it was stressful and that was pre-9/11. Don't think I'd try it again. With all the beefed up security, who knows what sort of delays you might encounter.

Another rule of thumb is that if the earlier flight is a lot cheaper than the later flight, then the airlines know it is too early for a cruiser to be able to catch it.

Right on! The reason that the "earlier flights" are cheaper is because they are earlier flights..and the airlines know it! Better to be safe than sorry!

I believe you can make it, just be sure to carry off your luggage, DO Not leave your luggage out in the hall way the night before.

We just got off Jewel of the Seas in Boston this past Sunday, we were off the ship around 8am.

There were 2 groups walking off with luggage. They give you slips at the pursers desk, just go down there and ask about them and tell them you have an early flight and need to get off early. We were actually in Group B, The Group A's got off before us.

More and more cruiselines are offering this option of getting off the ship. When ever it is offered we will carry our bags off. It works well. Luggage with the wheels works best, we have the straps too so we can strap the smaller bags to the larger suitcase that has the wheels.

Jimbo:)

Archived