NCL Breakaway with a 2 year old

Le Cruisester

Pretty new to CC not to cruising. My wife and I have cruised the NCL Breakaway before in 2013 however this will be out first cruise with our son. He will be 2 in early September and we will be on the September 25th sailing on the Breakaway. I know that NCL does not have a drop off for under 3 but we are fine with that, we want him to be with all of us through out the trip. There are 11 of us going, my mom and her bf, my in-laws and my sisters and both of their husbands J will be the only child but we all get a huge kick out of him. The main reason for this post is to find out if anyone has brought their two year old on the breakaway and get some suggestions as to what your kids liked most about the trip and what to probably stay away from. Also any tips on cruising with a toddler I have seen a lot though out this forum but would love some Breakaway specific ideas and tips if they are out there. Thanks everyone!!!

I have not sailed NCL so I am not much help...but we are approaching our first cruise with our kiddos as well and I have been all over CC for advice, tips, etc.

Does the ship you will be on offer a pool or splash area for toddlers/babies who are not potty trained? If not you might want to bring a little blow up pool that you can fill with a bucket that he could sit in and splash around in, then just dump it in a floor drain on the pool deck (I would recommend sitting near this area)

Some also use these little blow up pools as a "tub" in the shower since many of the staterooms do not have tubs....

If your two year old is a picky eater you may want to pack a few pre packaged and sealed snacks for him to snack on especially if you get off the ship....

also make sure you pack any type of medication your 2 year old could possibly need (ibuprophen, Tylenol, Benadryl, etc)

I have not sailed NCL so I am not much help...but we are approaching our first cruise with our kiddos as well and I have been all over CC for advice, tips, etc.

Does the ship you will be on offer a pool or splash area for toddlers/babies who are not potty trained? If not you might want to bring a little blow up pool that you can fill with a bucket that he could sit in and splash around in, then just dump it in a floor drain on the pool deck (I would recommend sitting near this area)

Some also use these little blow up pools as a "tub" in the shower since many of the staterooms do not have tubs....

If your two year old is a picky eater you may want to pack a few pre packaged and sealed snacks for him to snack on especially if you get off the ship....

also make sure you pack any type of medication your 2 year old could possibly need (ibuprophen, Tylenol, Benadryl, etc)

NCL doesn't have any splash areas for kids in diapers. We love NCL for freestyle dining, which is great with kids.

I did hear that NCL has no pool or splash area for diapered children. He is in daycare and hopefully between my wife and I at home and their help at daycare we can get him potty trained by then but of not it won't be the biggest deal for him to go a week on the ship without the pool, we don't have one at home so he probably won't even realize he's missing it, plus we will do a few beach days in Bermuda so he can get some splash time there. We are moving off the bottles now so don't think we will need them but if I remember the fridge is small, not sure if milk cartons will fit. Read some suggestions that ice buckets work. Has anyone tried this out?

I did hear that NCL has no pool or splash area for diapered children. He is in daycare and hopefully between my wife and I at home and their help at daycare we can get him potty trained by then but of not it won't be the biggest deal for him to go a week on the ship without the pool, we don't have one at home so he probably won't even realize he's missing it, plus we will do a few beach days in Bermuda so he can get some splash time there. We are moving off the bottles now so don't think we will need them but if I remember the fridge is small, not sure if milk cartons will fit. Read some suggestions that ice buckets work. Has anyone tried this out?

I have been on the Breakaway, but have not travelled with kids as young as yours. There is a play area for his age group. I went exploring on my last cruise. An adult has to stay with him. Have your steward remove contents from your fridge and the milk cartons will fit well. I put milk and the 4 oz yogurt in the fridge, so that I have a few snacks handy. As other have suggested, bring all medications- I still do this now. Bring a large covered cup, so that you can get 100% juice in the morning and keep some in fridge.

Enjoy freestyle dining unless you have a child that does not mind sitting through a meal. I still overpack all medications, just in case. Since you have 2 suitcases per person, use this option, since you have a lot of family that can assist you. Enjoy your trip

Thanks Bird. Some good suggestions. We go out to eat with him a good amount so he's used to meals out. He also doesn't mind just falling asleep when ever he wants. lol. He should be pretty good in the MDR as long as we sit pretty early 530 is usually prime time to get though a whole meal without him getting too crazy and like you said we have a big group so there will always be someone to get up and walk him around if he gets restless. I'm glad that we can fit some milk in the fridge, he's a milk fiend and can't get enough of it. We usually go with the yogurt that doesn't need to be refrigerated so will leave room for extra milk.

I was also reading that some people turn the cushion on the couch to make a mini bed with a barrier instead of using a pack and play which would definately take up the little space we have. We have a balcony which does give us some extra space but if the couch turning really does work it would be great to not have to have the pnp in the room

Thanks Bird. Some good suggestions. We go out to eat with him a good amount so he's used to meals out. He also doesn't mind just falling asleep when ever he wants. lol. He should be pretty good in the MDR as long as we sit pretty early 530 is usually prime time to get though a whole meal without him getting too crazy and like you said we have a big group so there will always be someone to get up and walk him around if he gets restless. I'm glad that we can fit some milk in the fridge, he's a milk fiend and can't get enough of it. We usually go with the yogurt that doesn't need to be refrigerated so will leave room for extra milk.

I was also reading that some people turn the cushion on the couch to make a mini bed with a barrier instead of using a pack and play which would definately take up the little space we have. We have a balcony which does give us some extra space but if the couch turning really does work it would be great to not have to have the pnp in the room

Can anyone who has been on breakaway comment on the possibility of turning the couch? Not sure how it is built and if this is possible? Ds turns 2 the end of February and we are sailing on breakaway with him the end of May. We took him on Epic at 10 months, but this will be an entirely different experience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone who has been on breakaway comment on the possibility of turning the couch? Not sure how it is built and if this is possible? Ds turns 2 the end of February and we are sailing on breakaway with him the end of May. We took him on Epic at 10 months, but this will be an entirely different experience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The couch does not turn or pull out. It's a platform type. You sleep like a twin bed. Our then 3 yr old slept on the couch and she loved it. I was nervous about her falling off so I piled up rolled up towels on the edge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you get potty trained by then there is a fun kid's pool. Small milk cartons fit in the fridge but both juice and milk need to be gotten at breakfast. We brought those take and toss cups with the covers. They're easily stacked and washed and don't spill. Horseshoe Bay was one of our favorite days at the beach with our dd. Bring sand toys because the sand on that beach doesn't even need water to mold. Awesome.

For strolling go out by the waterfront restaurants. It's amazing how empty those outside seats are and it's a good place to let him run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk