Viking Sagas price drop?

WANative

In the past, has the Viking Saga prices dropped (like Alaska cruises do), and 3rd & 4th passengers sail free? Do you think it will be different for the Koningsdam, since it's a new ship (that is, will it cost more than the Rotterdam)? Just from experience; I know no one can predict accurately what will happen in the future. We're looking at a May 2017 cruise, and want to book early so our family of 6 can have connecting rooms. But, after airfare to Europe, we're not sure we can afford it! Thanks!

I'm no expert, but I'd tend to lean towards pricing staying steady for Koningsdam sailings since it's newer. (I've been watching our Norse Legends sailing for this June and it's been pretty steady over the last few months...but who knows maybe it'll drop a bit closer to sailing.) Do check out the weather reports for Norway in May...I've read some things can still be pretty chilly/snowy and you might have better weather June/July if the timing works. (Either way..it'll still be crazy pretty I'm sure!)

For airfare, be sure to check out British Airways (they have an aarp discount if you're a member) and also Icelandair. I found some of the better deals on those two lines.

Edited by jvalentine

Since you're looking at an itinerary more than a year in the future, I would book now to get the rooms that you want. If the price drops before final payment, ask HAL or your TA to have the booking "re-fared". Then you get what you want and still get the price drops.

If the price doesn't drop before final payment, then you can decide whether or not to cancel.

To check fares, just do a dummy booking on the HAL website or pay a small fee for someone else to do it. Just google "cruise price drops" to find a fishy site that will do it for the small fee. We can't mention the site here on CC.

In the past, has the Viking Saga prices dropped (like Alaska cruises do), and 3rd & 4th passengers sail free? Do you think it will be different for the Koningsdam, since it's a new ship (that is, will it cost more than the Rotterdam)? Just from experience; I know no one can predict accurately what will happen in the future. We're looking at a May 2017 cruise, and want to book early so our family of 6 can have connecting rooms. But, after airfare to Europe, we're not sure we can afford it! Thanks!

I booked a Dec, 2016 cruise for the Koningsdam about 4 months and the price has gone up considerably since then (about 40 plus percent).

Our Konsingdam cruise in May this year was booked a year ago. We have to pay in Australian dollars and the fares were going up during the year for new bookings. But recently they have dropped to what we are paying. This is despite our dollar having dropped considerably.

I suspect there may have been a lot of cancellations due to a combination of the number of port changes, concerns about terrorism in Europe and for some of us, the issues with dropping value of our currencies.

Who knows what will happen in another year. I suspect it will be a great time for Americans to travel moneywise and for us to stay home!

I was thinking of this trip for this year but was worried about the whole terrorist thing (I know, I'm a chicken-shiitake mushroom!) and airfares are sorta high, so I'm taking the Seattle-Seattle Alaska cruise instead.

Has anyone taken this Voyage before? Is it a lot like Alaska? What are the expected highlights - some of the ports were unknown to me.

Thanks!

~Gwyneth

[wishing she knew what the fishy site was that must not be mentioned]

Thank you all so much! Very good and interesting information.... Sorry to those who are hurt by the currency fluctuations. Maybe I'll try to take advantage, though... :-/

Yes, you should. We were lucky that when both our daughters were living in England a few years ago, our dollar was very high. We knew it would not last but we went to Europe every year and so enjoyed being able to travel with a bit more style.

So we are not really so bothered now that it is down again. Especially as both daughters came home, got married and are keeping us busy with babysitting.

But we are glad we took advantage of that time while we could.

DaringLibrarian...the Seattle-Seattle Alaska cruise..you'll probably be going to Glacier Bay...it's beautiful! You'll also be sailing in open water (not inside passage) so you'll probably have a bit rockier of a sailing on those days. (If you get seasick...bring something to help with that.) Victoria is charming, but those stops are usually later in the day and you'll want to figure out what to do ahead of time since you're time is limited at that port. (Do stop at the chocolate shop in town and get a salted caramel! So good!!) Whale watching in Juneau has always been great and in Ketchikan...walking through Creek Street is always fun too. I'll also add...if there's anyway to catch the Amtrak up to Vancouver for a sailing out there..it's one of my favorites. Much calmer seas and the scenery is great.

Edited by jvalentine

Yes, you should. We were lucky that when both our daughters were living in England a few years ago, our dollar was very high. We knew it would not last but we went to Europe every year and so enjoyed being able to travel with a bit more style.

So we are not really so bothered now that it is down again. Especially as both daughters came home, got married and are keeping us busy with babysitting.

But we are glad we took advantage of that time while we could.

:) Nice!

I booked a Dec, 2016 cruise for the Koningsdam about 4 months and the price has gone up considerably since then (about 40 plus percent).

Our aft wraparound cabin for January 2017 has gone up $500 PP. :eek:

Edited by kjw869