Hire Car in Tauranga

Hi All

I have 9 people inc 3 children whom I need to get a hire car for Tauranga. They all seem to be really bloody expensive!

Europcar seem to be the cheapest but I would have to get myself to the office which is near the airport, anyone know how much this would be via taxi at all or would the savings be better put towards one of the more expensive car hire companies which are closer to the port...

We have used Pegasus in Tauranga a few times and found them good. They bring the car or van to the gates of the wharf and at the end of the day you leave it parked there and give the keys to the security guard at the gate. There is no delay at pickup or handing the car back at the end of the day. As a precaution, after we parked the car we photographed both sides and the front and back, just in case there was a claim that we had damaged it. There wasn't. We have also hired from Pegasus in other ports in NZ and found them good.:)

There doesn't seem to be a Pegasus in Tauranga only Taupo which is 2 hours away?

Obviously Taupo is too far away. I checked on the internet wondering if it was listed under Mt Manganui, the port for Tauranga, but it is not listed. They must have closed down. :( Sorry about that. :)

I suggest you try to get a company that will come to the port gates. It means two of their staff will have to come, but it will be easier for you, particularly as you have children in the group. Do you need child car seats or booster seats?

Even though a rental car might sound expensive, it will be much much cheaper than going on a tour. The last time we hired from Tauranga to go to Rotorua we had a group of overseas friends we 'met' on this forum. I think it was a total of 8 people in a 12 seat van. I think the cost was $30 AUD each (car hire and fuel) and they each paid their own entry into Te Puia in Rotorua. It was a good day.:)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Just heard back from riteprice they want $331.50 ouch!

Waiting for Thrifty to get back to me as it would seem according to their website it should be about $250 inc the car seats and gps. And they shuttle us to and from the port.

Edited by clm1982

Just heard back from riteprice they want $331.50 ouch!

Waiting for Thrifty to get back to me as it would seem according to their website it should be about $250 inc the car seats and gps. And they shuttle us to and from the port.

$331 sounds too much. :D I'd be tempted to say that you don't want to buy the vehicle, just hire it for the day.;)

Edited by Aus Traveller

There doesn't seem to be a Pegasus in Tauranga only Taupo which is 2 hours away?

There was a Pegasus in Tauranga..we have hired them there before, and have another booked next month., but with Pacific Auto Rentals.

They pick you up from the dock, take you to the office to sign up and get the car, in return you take car to the office, they drop you back at the dock

100 bucks for 8 hrs

Edited by jannandjohn

This is on our booking..

"We are also no longer in the Pegasus Franchise we still run all the same services, cars etc but our name has just changed so when exiting the port exit gates look out for the shuttle with Pacific Auto Rentals on it or one of our representatives with a sign. Our new email address is officepacific@xtra.co.nz and our free NZ phone is 0800722288. Thanks again for choosing to book with us and we look forward to meeting you in February and i bet your looking forward to your holiday!

Regards Brooke "

Summer 2016: 1 days @ $105.00

GPS, Daily @ $10.00 : $10.00

Total Estimate of Charges: NZ $115.00

(All Prices GST Inclusive)

Customer Balance Due:NZ $115.00

Edited by jannandjohn

This is on our booking..

"We are also no longer in the Pegasus Franchise we still run all the same services, cars etc but our name has just changed so when exiting the port exit gates look out for the shuttle with Pacific Auto Rentals on it or one of our representatives with a sign. Our new email address is officepacific@xtra.co.nz and our free NZ phone is 0800722288. Thanks again for choosing to book with us and we look forward to meeting you in February and i bet your looking forward to your holiday!

Regards Brooke "

Summer 2016: 1 days @ $105.00

GPS, Daily @ $10.00 : $10.00

Total Estimate of Charges: NZ $115.00

(All Prices GST Inclusive)

Customer Balance Due:NZ $115.00

I was wondering if it was Pegasus under a different name. I couldn't see anything on the internet (even the names of the owners that I would recognise) so I couldn't confirm it. Thanks for this info. :)

I ended up booking with thrifty 12 seater van inc 2 car seats and gps for $256.50 NZD compared to $330NZD with pacific auto.

Thrifty also pick u up and shuttle you to there facility and return you back to the dock.