Ncl kids club 3 year old

hippie7love

Hello all! This will be our first cruise we will be using the kids club. My son turns 3 next month and we will be sailing in April. My son is not completely potty trained. I'm not sure how that works.

Right now, he goes to the potty, but has trouble putting his clothes back on. But going #2 is a different issue. He won't sit. I know they can let us know if he needs a change. Anyone know how the bathrooms are set up? He doesn't know how to open doors yet, and I'm worried he will be scared of being in a closed room.

Basically I have 3 months to get all the kinks out before our cruise. I just want to make sure he is ready.

Also, do they have a time the first day where you can go in with them to make them feel a little more comfortable?

He'll be fine. Someone will help him pull up his pants, if need be.

You will go with him on the 1st night to orientation...after that, no adults are allowed to be in the room with the kids....except the trained staff. That's a good thing.

On our NCL cruise, we were told they could not help at all with the bathroom (not sure if that included getting dressed or not). Our son had some trouble wiping the first day, so they gave us a beeper but everything was fine and we didn't need to return to the kids club during the cruise. Other cruise lines won't let children into their kids clubs at all unless they can use the potty completely independently, so you are lucky you are booked with NCL since you will be able to manage the situation with a beeper and still use the kids clubs. One parent will need to stay onboard at all times if your child cannot use the potty completely independently.

Also, our son wears nothing but sweatpants and easy to pull up shorts, and this helps a lot in terms of his potty training and toileting independence.

Edited by kitkat343

It's true that they won't help...at all, not even pulling up pants. However, as pp mentioned, it can be handled with a beeper/phone they give you.

The first time our dd went to the NCL kids' club was just after she turned three. She had been trained for quite a while but I wasn't sure she'd tell people she just met that she had to go. So, about the time I figured I would have asked her if she had to go, I went back to the club and asked them to ask her if she had to go to the bathroom. She said she did and all was good. She never knew I was there.

Three months is an eternity in potty training, so keep working on he independence. Also, sending them to the club in pants that are easy would be a great idea. My dd is almost five now and she still dislikes pants with snaps and zips.

I would ask to take him in to use the bathroom on the first day when you sign up. They offered to show us where the pool was and other stuff like that but it was only when I thought to ask about the bathroom that I had that opportunity. But since we were the only ones there, I could go in the boys' bathroom with my son and make sure he knew how all the doors/toilets/sinks worked. At least on the Pearl they had specially designed kids bathrooms (low potties and sinks w/ step stools).

However, my son was too excited to go so on the first day so he had an accident in the bathroom just after I picked him up (he just didn't quite make it). After that I dropped by for a few days and asked them to send him to the bathroom and then they started encouraging him without me having to stop by.

I think in 3 months you'll be fine. It gives you a goal to get ready for, and him too. On the cruise just keep him in elastic waisted pants, like a swim trunks, he won't even need to wear underpants under, making it even easier to pull up. Have him start pulling on his pants now, doing it all, and he'll be good to go for the cruise I'm sure!!

My son (who is 14 now) had the hardest time with the pooping on the potty part, too, but we just worked with the reward (or bribery) system....and he got it. My suggestion would be if he does poop in his unders, or in a pul up, after you clean him up have him sit on the potty for a bit, even though the deed is done....