Suitability of America's Cup for Kids?

sjb.illinois

Hello all- for those who have done the America's Cup excursion, I'm seeking recommendations and thoughts for whether my kiddos should do this or not. We prefer to do excursions as a family, but I feel like this one might be best suited for my DH alone. Even though it says 12 and up, and I've read you can do as little or as much as you want as a member of the 'crew' - I have some concerns about my younger child. He will just make the age cutoff and is on the timid side. I've read some reviews about rough sea and seasickness. We love adventure, but I don't know about this one. He's done the St. John Catamaran sail from St. Thomas and loved that, but it was very laid back. Thoughts? Perspectives?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all- for those who have done the America's Cup excursion, I'm seeking recommendations and thoughts for whether my kiddos should do this or not. We prefer to do excursions as a family, but I feel like this one might be best suited for my DH alone. Even though it says 12 and up, and I've read you can do as little or as much as you want as a member of the 'crew' - I have some concerns about my younger child. He will just make the age cutoff and is on the timid side. I've read some reviews about rough sea and seasickness. We love adventure, but I don't know about this one. He's done the St. John Catamaran sail from St. Thomas and loved that, but it was very laid back. Thoughts? Perspectives?

Thanks in advance!

I think your gut feeling to leave the child back is correct on this one. It will be nothing like a relaxing cat in St. Thomas.

The race is real, fast, and can get aggressive.

Have done this 3 times. The last time we had an adult get sick on board, which cost us the race.

No one was unkind, but no one was happy. I would think a timid child might cause a similar reaction among fellow guests.

I think your gut feeling to leave the child back is correct on this one. It will be nothing like a relaxing cat in St. Thomas.

The race is real, fast, and can get aggressive.

Have done this 3 times. The last time we had an adult get sick on board, which cost us the race.

No one was unkind, but no one was happy. I would think a timid child might cause a similar reaction among fellow guests.

Thank you EatonDoolittle! This is the sort of feedback I'm looking for. I appreciate the response!

I agree, that the America's Cup Challenge might be too much for your son. The AC excursion is one of my all time favorites. However, it was so rough that we were the last group to sail that day as the harbor master shut it down. I spent a week sailing in the BVIs and the seas we experienced were very calm. St. Maarten was a totally different experience. Growing up near Newport, Rhode Island, I actually witnessed the America's Cup races firsthand. I can tell you that the sailing we did on the AC excursion felt like the real deal. While no one became ill, we were all soaked and banged around a bit. I loved it!

We just did this on January 7. It was a fantastic excursion. I agree with others, your son might not like. It can get rough and the boat can really tip to one side. Nobody got sick on our trip, nor wet. My kids are 20 and 19 and were the youngest. It was fun and we'd do again, but if you want opinions 12 is too young.