West Caribbean - What to do

2prettygirls

Our ports are Montego Bay, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico; and Grand Cayman. We are a family of 4, our kids are 7 & 10 and I don't think they would handle sight seeing all that well. We are looking for some fun, beach excursions but as many know, the cruise ship excursions are always costly and we have always been comfortable venturing out and using local tour guides with good reviews of course. I think we have found a tour in Grand Cayman that will take us to the turtle farm, stingray city, Hell and a snorkel adventure but we are still looking at Jamaica and Cozumel. I have heard Paradise Beach in Mexico is beautiful and Doctors Cave Beach in Jamaica is beautiful so we may just catch a shuttle from port to these locations.

Does anyone have any tour companies that you would recommend?

For Cozumel I really liked this place

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com

The drinks are watered down something awful but the food was decent (avoid the hamburgers, too much filler). Taxi ride is really cheap in Cozumel compared to other islands and it's reasonably close to the ship. Snorkeling wasn't great the times I went but the pool was nice.

We did playa mia beach resort in Cozumel. Our kids were 9 & 11 at the time and they really liked the floating jungle jim thing out in the water and the kayaks.

We did the all inclusive at $60/adult & $35/kid which included drinks and food. Adult drinks included the draft beer & swill mixed drinks. They had a bar with better options but that was extra. Food was so so, nothing special.

We took a cab & it was $30 each way which was more than we were told by others but we weren't going to argue with the local cab driver.

Kids would probably love Chankanaab. Short taxi ride away, nice beach, things to see including Sea Lion Show. You can pay extra for dolphin, manatee or sea lion experience. Snorkeling is good too and you're not worried about boats coming in on you. Food is good and decent prices.

You are correct about Paradise Beach in Cozumel. It's a beautiful place, very child-friendly! In fact, our family has been stopping there for years, and our "children" are now adults who continue to return to Paradise Beach! It's a short cab ride away from port.

We love Nachi or Chankanaab in Cozumel (sail with two young kids). In Jamaica we did a day pass to Sunset Beach Resort which is like two blocks from the ship...$5 taxi ride. We just bought the passes when we got there and the kids loved it! Grand Cayman we've done sting ray city and then day passes at the Westin.

We spent a beautiful, relaxing beach day at Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. About $4-5 per person one way cab fare from the pier. Ten to 15 min away and taxis waiting to take you back to the ship. No entry fee at Mr. Sanchos if you go on the pay as you go side. They just want you to buy some food and drink. Inflatable water course/park for kids at $12 each. Jet skis are available for rent as well. The fajitas and coconut shrimp were awesome. Check them out on trip advisor. Also, visit the Caribbean ports of call site for these islands and you will glean a wealth of information.

Think about Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica. This is climbing UP the river, over rocks/boulders with water over most. (wear water shoes or old sneakers). As you climb you often are holding each others hands. The tour leader could and would hold your 7 year old's hand if you ask as he leads you up. Google this to see what it is like.

Chankanaub is a very good choice in Cozumel. It is a national park and has a lot more then just swimming to do. Google this too.

You choice for Grand Cayman is also good. I sent myself a postcard with the Hell postmark on it!