Laptop Safety

Ironman1989

Just to be sure, does everyone believe that you can actually hide things in a stateroom and they won't be found? Because If I was going to steal and was a professional, I would believe I would be able to quickly look through draws and the closet rather quickly to find it. A locked suitcase under the bed would be a dead giveaway. :D

No question in my mind that the people who want this stuff know every "hiding" place in every cabin. They know about the suitcases, and the stuff in the closets, and the drawers. I also suspect that they can get in teh so called safes too. If they want your stuff you can't stop them, but if you get peace of mind by hiding it, then by all means hide to your hearts content.

No question in my mind that the people who want this stuff know every "hiding" place in every cabin. They know about the suitcases, and the stuff in the closets, and the drawers. I also suspect that they can get in teh so called safes too. If they want your stuff you can't stop them, but if you get peace of mind by hiding it, then by all means hide to your hearts content.

I agree if someone wants your stuff bad enough chances are they will get it. I just feel that it would be negligent on my part to make it easy for a thief. I guess that is partly the reason I lock my doors at my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were in the world do you stay? Even a Motel 6 isn't that bad.

I use this lock on my laptop (but mainly at hotels, since I've never needed my laptop on a cruise.) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000K4KH

I hook it up to something immobile or heavy and then the laptop can't be casually taken from the room, even if someone with heavy duty bolt cutters may be able to remove it with enough effort.

I also set a BIOS password so no one can start up the computer without a pasword, even with a bootable USB stick inserted. (I don't know if they'd be unable to unscrew the case while the lock is attached and remove my hard drive to steal data, but I really have it to keep honest people honest versus trying to be fort knox.)

We have often taken our laptops, ipad, camera, cell phones, etc. and have never had a problem with something being taken. We leave the laptops out and plugged in. As a precaution, you can always take a photo of your stuff in the cabin and email it to yourself, then if there is any question or problem, you can prove what you brought on the trip. I figure why bother "hiding" something in a tiny cabin when the stewards know every inch of the room. We do lock up our credit cards and passports in the safe.

Not only do we leave electronics in the open while we're out, much like another post, we have left wallets and envelopes of cash on the desk with no problems.

Maybe we'll get burned one of these days, but we trust people.

Just use common sense... if it is valuable to you, take extra precautions to keep it safe. What other people do and their previous experiences are irrelevant. Don't tempt fate and you're more likely to NOT be a victim. JMHO

Edited by crooooze

Just stick it in a drawer. The cabin stewards will not take your stuff. The only exposure is when they are cleaning and the door may be left open for a short time. That is when a fellow passenger may see something valuable and do a snatch and grab.

I've traveled with a laptop or tablet for almost fifteen years and have never had a problem in 40+ cruises. Yes: There have been times I've just left it on the desk with no problem.

You can secure it as much as you feel comfortable with but most cruise ship safes are not large enough for a laptop.

Enjoy your cruise and just take a little precaution to avoid a crime of opportunity.

Take care,

Mike