Belize travel. Alert issued

Dorothyd

I was about to say...a single cruise port killing makes the news. The city of Chicago, to date, just January of 2016, 26 KILLED, and 138 shot and wounded ...and the month is only half over. Belize....or Chicago...hmmmm...let me think.....

This was not a cruise port killing. This was a relatively remote area near the Guatemala border. And the Belize City port area is not a "bad" area, just poor.

From our experience, been to Belize a few times.....

First thing I noticed was Welcome to Belize sign, behind all the barbed wire.

(I used to have a picture on if on my phone)

We felt safe Inside the barbed-wire Shopping area, where the cruise ship docks.

This area is fine for you & your teens to explore, shop, then return to ship.

But, Belize is one of the ports I would ONLY do Organized ship excursions if wanting to explore outside that barbed-wire ship/shopping area.

Rather be safe than sorry. Nothing is ever foolproof....

I would NOT recommend exploring Belize on your own.

The barb wire is to keep the vendors away so the "tourist" area can be exclusive to those who pay to be there. I would certainly recommend going outside and see some of the locals and buy local instead of the "tourist trap" at the pier. They are nice people that live in poverty. We've been to Belize City many, many times and go out and explore. Never had a problem. There are hawkers that will try to sell to you, but the "authorized" ones in the port do the same.

One of the points not addressed is are they targeting American Tourists? If that were the case it doesn't matter how many people were killed in Chicago.

How would they tell if someone is an American and not a Canadian tourist, for example? If you think this way, you might as well not take any excursions at all. We just took a cruise that went into Honduras, which has the highest murder rate in the world apparently...Before we left I read a story about a crew member who was killed while in port, because someone wanted his cell phone. But we took an organized ship excursion, and it felt perfectly safe. In Belize, it was an 1 hour bus ride, and then another hour on a speed boat to where the ruins were. It was absolutely beautiful. We had lunch in a small town afterwards (as a part of the tour), and everyone was very friendly and sincere.

Edited by fille_canadienne

I do agree that parts of US cities are dangerous, however most of central America, has some of the highest murder rates in the World. Belize, Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador are off the charts.

http://list25.com/25-countries-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-world/5/

If we visit Belize on a cruise, I would most definitely choose a ship excursion and not wander own my own.

The barb wire is to keep the vendors away so the "tourist" area can be exclusive to those who pay to be there. I would certainly recommend going outside and see some of the locals and buy local instead of the "tourist trap" at the pier. They are nice people that live in poverty. We've been to Belize City many, many times and go out and explore. Never had a problem. There are hawkers that will try to sell to you, but the "authorized" ones in the port do the same.

Bingo! Perfectly put.

Today show said this a.m., after murder of female u.s news reporter in belize on vacatipn , u.s. issued travel advisory. Going there 2/20 on jade w/teens, little worried.....

I wouldn't be too worried. I mean look at the people who get killed in the US everyday.

Just stay in groups, don't wonder off to remote areas, stay near ports, etc. I think you will be okay.

I think that the US has a travel advisory for Nassau also. This has been in place for a while.

Have fun!

We don't usually do ship excursions but in the case of Belize we did and one of our very favorite excursions is the full day Lamanai Ruins and River Safari trip. A few years ago we took our twin 16 year old granddaughters on the Spirit and we did this excursion. They loved it and were the first to the top of the big pyramid. They were in shape, we're not so we stayed on the ground :)

Due to the distance and length of the excursion we would not do this one independently. I would not want to be left in Belize. We felt very safe on the excursion. I've done it three times with NCL. There is a long bus ride to the river landing where you catch the boat. We had no problem with the bus ride and looked at the surroundings while listening to the guide. The boat ride to Lamanai is slower than the return ... both were enjoyable. On the bus ride back the guide doesn't talk which was probably good because a lot of people dozed.

Lamanai itself was very interesting. It is a large site and you only see a small part but what you do see is far outside at least our normal experience. Be sure to take mosquito repellent.

There are several youtube videos on Lamanai. Here is a brief one from NCL

Here is a longer video ... gives you a better idea. Does not show the included lunch (chicken, rice, beans). I think it was served at Lamanai after the tour before getting back on the boat for the return ride to the bus but my brain is fuzzy on this part.

Thank you for posting these fascinating videos. I think that the OP should book ship trips such as this one, and they'll have a great time.

No worries, you'll be fine.

Belize is the 5th most murderous nation in the world. Over half of those murders happen in Belize City.

That aside, my usual test is if those murders are confined to the drug trade or if innocents are being killed and at what rates. I rarely use ship sponsored excursions, but in Belize City I would. I would also take an excursion that did not travel south through the gangland warfare turf. That is if I chose to leave the ship at all.

The difference between somewhere like Detroit and a foreign country is the cultural frame of reference. In The US, you can call 911, you can understand the conversations people are having around you and you can better intuit intent based on non-verbal cues. In a foreign land, especially if you don't know the language and/or culture you are simply more vulnerable.

Belize is the 5th most murderous nation in the world. Over half of those murders happen in Belize City.

That aside, my usual test is if those murders are confined to the drug trade or if innocents are being killed and at what rates. I rarely use ship sponsored excursions, but in Belize City I would. I would also take an excursion that did not travel south through the gangland warfare turf. That is if I chose to leave the ship at all.

The difference between somewhere like Detroit and a foreign country is the cultural frame of reference. In The US, you can call 911, you can understand the conversations people are having around you and you can better intuit intent based on non-verbal cues. In a foreign land, especially if you don't know the language and/or culture you are simply more vulnerable.

I agree 100%

Well Said