St Johns possible with 10:00am port arrival?

mamakinrocks

Hello All,

Was really excited to do St John's, as we have been to St Thomas quite a few times. I was thinking that we arrived in port at 8:00am, but it's at 10:00. I'm thinking that this will probably not make much sense, since the recommendation is to depart 3 hours before departure (7:00pm). Becoming kinda' sorry that we chose this itinerary (Oasis Eastern Caribbean). Nassau is 7-2! Thanks for any thoughts.....

We were at St. Thomas from 12:00 to 8:00 during our cruise in 2014. We were glad that we ventured over to St. John. We got on the 1:00 ferry from Red Hook and took a taxi tour of St. John with a beach stop at Trunk Bay.

Edited by Kelsey D

Get off the ship ASAP and catch a cab to Red Hook. If you are really lucky you may make it there in time to catch the 11:00 ferry, if not, the noon. It does not take long to get to Trunk Bay from Cruz Bay, about 20 minutes. You should have at least 3 hours on the beach before having to head back to catch the 4:00 ferry.

Hi Mama! Yes you're in port for 9 hrs so you have plenty of time to enjoy St John, doesn't really matter what time of day you dock at STT.

As 2PinaColadas mentioned just grab the first taxi to Red Hook and you should make the 11AM ferry to Cruz Bay. When you arrive in Cruz Bay you'll see a line of safari taxis waiting to transport folks to the different beaches. These taxis also provide a nice island tour for ~$25pp before dropping you at the beach if you are interested. Nice way to see the prettiest part of STJ and still enjoy a nice beach (consider Cinnamon as Trunk sees many more visitors). Or you can head directly to the beach ($7pp taxi each way) and perhaps have lunch and shop Cruz Bay before returning to Red Hook. Cruz Bay has some very nice shops and isn't crowded like Charlotte Amalie. Great custom made Hook Bracelets at St John Bracelet Co.

To get the most time you'd want to take the 5PM return ferry from Cruz at the latest, and barring any unforseen incidents you would probably make your BOB at Crown Bay. But to be safe the 4PM return would be more recommended. The latter would give you about 4 hrs of free time (3 hrs with the noon ferry there) so a nice day. The total transportation cost (without the island tour) is about $50pp roundtrip + taxi driver tips, with the tour about $68.

So to visit STJ you'll spend another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time and ~$28 for transfers. But seeing the beauty of STJ is well worth the effort, especially if you've already enjoyed the East End beaches and beauty of STT.

Edited by blue_water

Hello All,

Was really excited to do St John's, as we have been to St Thomas quite a few times. I was thinking that we arrived in port at 8:00am, but it's at 10:00. I'm thinking that this will probably not make much sense, since the recommendation is to depart 3 hours before departure (7:00pm). Becoming kinda' sorry that we chose this itinerary (Oasis Eastern Caribbean). Nassau is 7-2! Thanks for any thoughts.....

I'm in port on the Allure at the same exact time and yes we're doing St. John.

We are doing the Allure in June with the same port times. I have looked into riding the ferry, and I think it makes more sense to do the ship excursion "St John on your own." It's $39, and their ferry picks you up at Crown Bay--no need to get a taxi and worry about ferry times, including the trip back. It gives you 4 1/2 hours on St. John, which is also more time than the 3 hours you'd get to catch the 4:00 ferry to red hook. I know we'll still have to pay the taxi from Cruz to Trunk Bay, but it still costs about the same as the ferry route, and seems a whole lot easier/more convenient.