Route to the Baltic

jasperado

Been off line for a couple of days, so a belated thankyou to all who have replied to my original post.

So no short cut through the peninsula of Denmark, just full steam ahead??!!

DH and I are going to do a 2 day tour with probably Alla in SPB. The Grand tour looks favourite, but we will DIY all the other ports. I have Rick Steves' Northern European Cruise ports guide and that covers all the ports we are visiting. With that, and with using P and O's tour examples as "places one should not miss on a day tour", we will plan our own excursions using public transport and a bit of prior homework.

Your wonderful comments and advice have just taken the excitement and anticipation to a higher level :)

Regards Kathy

Just watched "travel man" on channel 4 .....2 silly blokes visiting Copenhagen. But what impressed me, and we have decided we are going to do, is hire city bikes. Ive looked on the website....very much like "boris bikes" but fully operational, various docking points throughout the city.

£2.50 an hour!! Power assisted! Good for 45 kms!

Got to be done for an hour or two.

What do you think?

Regards Kathy

We've enjoyed watching these progs too. Sounds like it could be worth considering - Copenhagen is very flat and from what I remember from walking around extensively there are lots of streets with not too much traffic and pedestrianised areas (guess you can go through there). It's quite a big city centre to do on foot - from the Mermaid, to the Palaces, Nyhavn to the Tivoli Gardens - we were exhausted! Bikes sound like a good idea!

It seems like a great idea if you are ok on a bike.

I did notice when we were in Norway that a lot of people cycle and the traffic is very considerate of them. Unlike here where you often take your life in your hands!

Oops, just re read and realised you are going to Denmark, I'm sure it will be the same.

Edited by happy v

Great route. The Baltics are a fab experience. You go under the Great belt bridge in Denmark which is an experience in itself.

We did the Baltic last year on Britannia the sail in to Stockholm through the archipelago was fantastic make sure you are up as we went through early morning.

We did the Baltic last year on Britannia the sail in to Stockholm through the archipelago was fantastic make sure you are up as we went through early morning.

Agree - also worth watching the sail-out especially if there is a sunset over the islands. Magical!