tipping

RNsoon2beNP

It's still double points on the Carnival MC no matter when or where you spend it as long as it's from Carnival so doesn't it work out the same? I have one but I only got it for the initial $100 credit.

I get far better rewards in the form of double points all the time on every single purchase to use on any travel related expense of my choosing (so should I decide to go on another cruise line it won't matter) with my Capital One Venture rewards card. Just for signing up I got a free $400 in travel.

Yes, it still earns double points if I pre-pay. But I was referring to a PP of mine where I mentioned that my S&S balance is usually higher than my cruise fare, and since I usually only have enough points accrued to pay for one or the other but not both, I choose to use the FPs on the S&S balance, getting the larger of the 2 amounts refunded to me.

I know there are rewards cards out there that are better for others. I like this one, especially the way I use it - using it for everything (utilities, groceries, gas, any possible purchase for which a cc can be used), paying it off every month (no interest or fees ever paid), and cashing in the points for free cruises. It's easier to convince DH we need to take a cruise when I can point out the fact that it will be free.;):p

Also, shopping thru the RewardsBoost portal on Barclay's website makes the double points from Carnival seem kinda small. I regularly get 5 points per $, 7 points per $, 10 points per $, and every now and then, 17 point per dollar spent from my online shopping.;) I easily rack up well over 100,000 FPs each year.

100,000 FP = $1,500 statement credit = $1,500 free cruise money:D

Sorry, folks, I didn't mean to turn this into a cc rewards thread. I'll shut up now.:o Back to your argument over which way to tip is best...

Yes, it still earns double points if I pre-pay. But I was referring to a PP of mine where I mentioned that my S&S balance is usually higher than my cruise fare, and since I usually only have enough points accrued to pay for one or the other but not both, I choose to use the FPs on the S&S balance, getting the larger of the 2 amounts refunded to me.

I know there are rewards cards out there that are better for others. I like this one, especially the way I use it - using it for everything (utilities, groceries, gas, any possible purchase for which a cc can be used), paying it off every month (no interest or fees ever paid), and cashing in the points for free cruises. It's easier to convince DH we need to take a cruise when I can point out the fact that it will be free.;):p

Also, shopping thru the RewardsBoost portal on Barclay's website makes the double points from Carnival seem kinda small. I regularly get 5 points per $, 7 points per $, 10 points per $, and every now and then, 17 point per dollar spent from my online shopping.;) I easily rack up well over 100,000 FPs each year.

100,000 FP = $1,500 statement credit = $1,500 free cruise money:D

Sorry, folks, I didn't mean to turn this into a cc rewards thread. I'll shut up now.:o Back to your argument over which way to tip is best...

I too use it for everything. Amazing how much you spend a month. Might as well get paid for it. I couldn't even tell you where my debit card is.

I use the online shopping sites for my airline miles and get a similar return. It's nice not to have to pay for airfare too :D

Hey, as long as we're cruising it's all good!

[quote name='crooooze']We have never pre-paid tips. It's one more thing we'd have to worry about getting refunded if we had to cancel for unforseen reasons.[/QUOTE]

I do. Every time. One less charge to pay at the end for me. And I've had to cancel a cruise with PrePaid Gratituties, wasn't an issue.

[quote name='Who Cares?']As stated, some people like to go on a cruise knowing they will have no final bill when they leave and prepay everything. Nothing wrong with that if that is what they choose.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do, why i do it and have done it this way for all my 30 cruises. I hate having this huge bill at the end of the cruise. But as said before, to each his own.