Decisions on Alaska 2006???

Joby

We are considering going to Alaska next summer.

It will be 2, 40-something daughters and a 70-something frail Mom who uses a cane/wheelchair to get around. We have sailed on Celebrity Century and Horizon and have an upcoming October trip on the Constellation.

Important things are: good food, ocean view cabin, good service, great possibility of wildlife (marine and land), and price.

We are thinking about either May, early June or August for timing.

We are looking at: Celebrity Infinity and Galaxy//HAL Volendam//Princess Sun, Dawn and Diamond//RCI Vision of the Seas and Serenade//NCL Star and Sun//Carnival Spirit.

Could I get some opinions from those with experience on lines other than Celebrity as well as vetren cruise travelers?

1. What time of year did you travel to Alaska and why did you pick that particular time? Please include weather, wildlife possibilities (both marine and land), prices, etc.

2. Why did you choose the particular line or ship for your trip?

I have been perusing the Alaska board too and asking questions there. Just trying to gather lots of opinions so that we might make a good choice of ship and timing for us.

We were a middle 30 year old couple with a six year old son in tow. We took Princess and throughly enjoyed our visit. We took the inside passage which left from Seattle and returned to the same for a seven day trip. We took this as we could easily use frequent flyer points and didn't have to work hard at coordinating airfare. I am not sure if they will have this Seattle - Seattle port available next year.

As my husband says if you enjoy seafood you will enjoy this cruise. My son loved the Kid's menu and be sure to order the volcano for dessert of the kid's menu. We enjoyed the Horizon Buffet and found that was a very convenient way to grab a bite to eat at any time of day. The all time favorite food outside the dining room was the pizza bar by the pool.

We were on the Aloha deck in the middle of the Diamond on the port side. We were about three cabins down from the main elevators and enjoyed this location as it was quite central to anywhere we wanted to go. We had a balcony cabin and found that it had plenty of space for the three of us. My son loved the drop down bed.

We traveled from June 25 - July 2. The weather was a little cool and was drizzly in a few of the ports but nothing miserable and it did not ruin any of our excursions. We took ORCA Enterprises out of Juneau to do a whale excursion and saw a lot of whales, sea lions, seals.

The entertainment was a lot of fun and we were very pleased with the comedians on board. We ended up making it to one of them because the show in the Theater was full and have never laughed so hard in my life. We enjoyed that they were completely clean but still hilarious. Which is unusual to find with some comedians.

We probably picked Princess just because of the sentimental reasons of watching "The Love Boat" growing up as kids. We were not disappointed in any way. We were completly spoiled by our cabin steward and he always amazed us that he knew our names almost immediately and waved to us whenever we came by.

Attached is a link to some pictures of our trip and the ship as well as the Patters for the vacation. http://community.webshots.com/user/loricrosby

We laughed about taking a cruise and having to wear a coat but really didn't mind it at all. It was so crystal clear and refreshing that it felt nice.

If you have any more questions let me know.

What I would add is if you sail a round trip that you leave out of Vancouver. Yes, Seattle is usually less expensive to get to, but the Seattle round trips take the outside passage at least one way. The scenery is wonderful when you get the Inside Passage both ways.

Thank you so much for replying and giving me your opinions and experiences. It is all different, but also very helpful in that it gives me a broad range of opinions.

I fear that at this point a balcony is too expensive for us as is a July sailing. Unless we find a super deal, we will have to go with an OV cabin.

Other factors I have read are that only Celebrity, Princess, HAL have Naturalists full time onboard. NCL and RCI do not. Carnival, I'm not sure about yet. That may be a factor in NCL and RCI.

We do want to go RT from Vancouver. I understand it's prettier, especially for RT. We can get air for about $220 + RT from Indiana to Seattle. I think Seattle to Vancouver will not be too expensive or hard to arrange (from my reading).

I always arrange our port excursions. Always use private tours. For us, they are cheaper, smaller and more personalized than the ship's tours. Mom feels more comfortable on smaller excursions.

Please continue to post opinions! Even hints for price cutting if you have them.

Joby,

We also cruised the Diamond, Seattle RT and loved it.... The food was excellent, and the service was wonderful. Our steward also knew our names and our routine very quickly and our room was always spotless.

If there is anyway you can do a balcony, it is well worth it, especially if it's hard for your mom to get around. Whether you do Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm, that day alone was great to be able to have breakfast and coffee and enjoy the magnificent scenery in my Pj's and blanket, and a hot toddy as well. We just turned up the TV to hear the naturalist and watched the world float by.....I know a lot of people were up on deck and I heard that it was quite cold. It is also about 4 hours and it is nice to relax without having to worry about losing your spot if you get up to go to the bathroom

We wnet in late September and the first couple of days were rainy, but it cleared up nicely as the week progressed and we kind of expected some weather...so no worries

We also used Orca Enterprises and Island Wings in Ketchikan, both were awesome and very intimate.

Anyway, hope you have a great trip and good luck in your research

Joby,

I have done Princess Cruises to Alaska twice. In June (Ocean) & August(Diamond).

To be honest I was not one who lucked out with the weather. It was rainy both times. Pack & dress for LAYERS.

The first time I cruised I booked a balcony. Second time was unable to get a balcony. But, if you can swing it anyway possible, this is one cruise you will want a balcony.

Let me tell you about some Princess Tours I highly recommend.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Ride & Walk About. This was awesome. To actually get out & be able to walk on the glacier was great. They have more active glacier tours, but, this was fine for me. Be sure to dress in layers & warmly, as it can be quite cold on top.

The tram downtown is good to get great pictures. If you have a clear day.

Be sure to save time for a stop at the Red Dog Saloon.

Skagway - White Rail Pass train ride is excellent. Again, save time to wander downtown.

Good shops & taverns for an Alaskan Amber.

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Seaplane Ride was excellent. I love to walk around & shop here too.

I have not personally done the whale watching or nature tours. However, friends have done them enjoyed it. Also if you enjoy fishing they also do some great expeditions.

Hope this helps. I typically am a sun person, but, really enjoyed the splendor & beauty of Alaska. Glacier Bay is just magnificent.

I prefer Glacier Bay to Tracey Arm.

Here are links to my webshots Alaska Albums:

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=169972629

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=126498177

Good Luck :)

Cathy

Joby - I like cruising the end of May/first of June - the weather, historically, has been excellent during this time.

I would avoid a RT out of Seattle - those who go on these sailings seem to not enjoy their trips as much - the times in port is not as good, the outside sailing around Vancouver island, etc...

Personally - I would put Glacier Bay at the top of your list of MUST SEE. I will not consider a cruise with out. The one way cruises from Vancouver to Whittier have great routes and include Glacier Bay and College Fiords - 2 days of glacier days is best.

IMO - Princess' best ships are the Coral and Island Princess. Great size, great design, just great ships.

I do think we still want to look for RT Vancouver. We have a friend that lives in Seattle and may give us a hand in lodging and transfers in Seattle. Probably not to Vancouver, but at least in Seattle (airport and such).

We do care about the ship/food/service, but main priority is to concentrate on Alaska. We really want to see/do as much as possible in Alaska with our limitations of budget and physical challenges.

I do think we want a Naturalist onboard 24/7. I do have a degree in Biology and Natural Resources, BUT know only vaguries about Alaska.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate. I will be asking more.

Archived