Eastern caribbean currency

rob58

Hi everyone.

I have 2 weeks to go before our cruise on the Azura around the Eastern Caribbean,starting and returning to Barbados.

Could anyone tell me if I can use US Dollars at all the Caribbean island,or do I need to take local currency.

I have just called in to my local Thomson travel agent,and they say,Barbados,for instance,you must use Barbados dollars,as their info screens does not mention that American dollars can be used.They said "it should be alright",but they are not too sure!

All the reviews I have read on this site,give me the impression that using American dollars is fine.

Many thanks

Hi Rob58,

US dollars are fine. Just be aware that in Barbados they may give you change in the local currency, so have plenty of small denomination US dollars and if change is required ask if they can give you US dollars.

I am not sure, but I think there are other islands that use there own currency, so the same as Barbados applies.

Also in St. Maartin - on the French side, you can use the Euro.

Molly

Hi Rob58,

US dollars are fine. Just be aware that in Barbados they may give you change in the local currency, so have plenty of small denomination US dollars and if change is required ask if they can give you US dollars.

I am not sure, but I think there are other islands that use there own currency, so the same as Barbados applies.

Molly

KNOW ALL !!! how are you two ? we go back on Azura on 5th March looking forward to some hot sun and cold drinks , i will keep my eye out for your hat !!!

Hi Rob58,

Molly

Hi Molly - hope you are both well? Are you in the Caribbean this winter as usual?

Ba.

We are fine thanks, I see you have got the cruising bug.

Not doing a cruise this year as Chris wants a change so we are off to Thailand in Feb.

Funnily enough we were watching the video from our Azura cruise, and we both said how much we enjoyed the whale watching trip you organised.

Maybe we will bump into you on a future cruise. I would like to do a Christmas and New Year one, but Chris is not to sure, but I think we will definitely go back to the Caribbean next year.

Hi Molly - hope you are both well? Are you in the Caribbean this winter as usual?

Ba.

Hi Ba, we must have posted at the same time. Yes we are fine but not cruising this year as we are off to Thailand. We did the Amazon cruise on Adonia last year and really enjoyed it, and loved the ship.

Molly

Hi,

US $ widely accepted in Carib. If you are offered change for example 50 cents or $1 in eastern Carib $ refuse, it's a scam. The exchange rate between USD and ECD differs and can differ island to island. Take plenty of small denomination notes and you'll be fine.

It's what's I'm taking on Britannia next week and the same as I have taken before.

Have a lovely time. H