Not eating in dining room?

fuinseog

We are looking to book a semi-last minute 3 night cruise in March on the Magic. We have never done a Disney cruise, and I am only beginning to research the options available onboard. On our held reservation, we are assigned to late dining. This won't work for us, as our 3 year old is usually asleep by 7pm. I expect her to stay awake later on vacation, but her eating that late is risking her having a meltdown at dinner.

I understand that people can usually change to early dining either being waitlisted or by asking when onboard, but it is not guaranteed. My question is, would the offerings in the buffet be acceptable for dinner all three nights, if we don't get assigned to early dining? I would be disappointed to miss the Disney dining room experience, but we are not overly picky about food, and I want to do what works best for us.

Additionally, are there three meals a day in the buffet? That hasn't been clear from my limited research so far. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm sure it's possible for there to be no way to change, but I've never heard of anyone wanting to change dining times. Once onboard got to the dining room, there will be a line of people doing that as well.

Prior to boarding sending Disney a message they might be able to change it.

You really want to experience the three different dining room!

The buffet is goo, what ever is in the MDR is usually on the buffet at night, there are three meal times with a break for cleaning and resetting and such. There is also room service, and the burgers and chicken strips too.

We are looking to book a semi-last minute 3 night cruise in March on the Magic. We have never done a Disney cruise, and I am only beginning to research the options available onboard. On our held reservation, we are assigned to late dining. This won't work for us, as our 3 year old is usually asleep by 7pm. I expect her to stay awake later on vacation, but her eating that late is risking her having a meltdown at dinner.

I understand that people can usually change to early dining either being waitlisted or by asking when onboard, but it is not guaranteed. My question is, would the offerings in the buffet be acceptable for dinner all three nights, if we don't get assigned to early dining? I would be disappointed to miss the Disney dining room experience, but we are not overly picky about food, and I want to do what works best for us.

Additionally, are there three meals a day in the buffet? That hasn't been clear from my limited research so far. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

First, there is no buffet for dinner. The buffet restaurant does a sit-down table service for dinner. The menu served is select items from the menus available in the other MDRs. As well as a carved meat choice and a salad bar.

Also, the "buffet" is not open for dinner service the first and last nights of a cruise.

First, there is no buffet for dinner. The buffet restaurant does a sit-down table service for dinner. The menu served is select items from the menus available in the other MDRs. As well as a carved meat choice and a salad bar.

Also, the "buffet" is not open for dinner service the first and last nights of a cruise.

So on a 3 night cruise it would only be open for dinner 1 night? We are accustomed to anytime/my choice/open dining, so maybe Disney is not for us. :(

As above, there is no buffet at dinner. There is a sit down, casual table service, but not available on the first or last night of the cruise. That would give you one night that you could eat at Cabanas.

As to changing dining, we've never had a problem. But March is not "last minute." Call DCL NOW and ask to be wait listed for main dining. If you used a TA, they will need to do this for you. Then, if you haven't been moved to main at the time of check in, look at the Welcome Aboard Navigator for the location of "Dining Changes." Go and ask to be moved to main seating. If it is at all possible, they'll do it for you.

You do have the option of room service. You can also feed the child early and take her to the Oceaneer's Club where they put out mats and turn on a movie in the evening, fully anticipating that the kids will fall asleep. You can pick her up after your dinner. The fast food options would be available for feeding the child early as would the room service choices.

The dining room experience is a big part of it. Animators palace and such. They can't run those shows just anytime. I also like that you go to three different places and your team goes with you. I'd try it and see if you can get it changed.

So on a 3 night cruise it would only be open for dinner 1 night? We are accustomed to anytime/my choice/open dining, so maybe Disney is not for us. :(

Correct, on a 3 night cruise the dinner service on the pool deck will be open only one night. But on a 14 night cruise, it is open 12 of the 14 nights.

If you want anytime dining, DCL is likely not the line for you. The dining experience on DCL is a lot more than food. On a 3 night cruise, you have a different dining room with different decor and sometimes a show each night. No, they don't do as much on a 3 night cruise as on a longer one. But many people don't want to miss the dining room.

Edited by moki'smommy

If for some reason you stay with second dining, you can arrange for the Oceaneer Club to get your daughter from the dining room as soon as she finished her entree (which they will bring first for her) and then you can finish your meal in peace. She may be less likely to melt down in a kids area with a movie, than when she is expected to sit still and be polite at a table with lots of strangers around.

If for some reason you stay with second dining, you can arrange for the Oceaneer Club to get your daughter from the dining room as soon as she finished her entree (which they will bring first for her) and then you can finish your meal in peace. She may be less likely to melt down in a kids area with a movie, than when she is expected to sit still and be polite at a table with lots of strangers around.

Actually, they won't collect your child "as soon as she finished her entree." They will come 45 minutes after dining starts. Tell your serving team that you are doing "Dine and Play," and they will expedite the child's meal. She will still get a full meal of appetizer, entree, and dessert but the food will be brought out in order for her to have time to eat before the "yellow people" come to pick her up. (note, the Youth Activity team wears yellow shirts). You will pick her up at the OC after you've finished eating or finished your evening activities.

The kids can do various activities, but one of these is a movie while seated or stretched out on sleep mats. If the kids fall asleep, they just move the mats out of the way and the kids continue to sleep.