A few new cruiser questions

tilocke88

Hi! Im sorry if this was answered somewhere else already, but Im brand new to the forum, so Im learning still :)

My main question is this: I will be booking a Caribbean cruise for my husband and I in mid-February. We are looking at September, October or November (we are pretty open to any) aboard the Carnival Breeze. Do you think that is adequate time to still find a room and excursions and all that fun? We are just planning on an interior room.

Also, I have heard Mid ship, with rooms above and below is the best option for a first time cruiser...should I plan on this, and if so do you think it will be hard to find 6-8 months out?

Oh and one more: Does anyone know if FTTF would still be available at that time frame? We would like to buy it just to streamline things, but I wasnt sure if it will be sold out since it is limited.

Thanks so much, and again, if this was answered elsewhere, Im sorry! And just point me in the correct direction :)

Yes, you will have plenty of time to get a satisfactory cabin. Once you have booked, you can join the roll call here for your cruise and find out what your fellow CC members are planning. As far as FTTF, it seems like they periodically release more.You just have to keep an eye on the excursions on the website. But you can get all this and more if you check out the Carnival board here at CC, under Cruise Lines A-O. EM

It is adequate time to get a room.

My advice is always to book as soon as you can for the largest choice of rooms knowing the lower and higher priced ones go first and the ones that are in more optimal locations within each category also go first.

Keith

When you book you will know, then and there where your room is. I don't know what you mean by above or below, however my wife loves the Lido deck and for the most part that's deck #9 and in most cases the deck is where the pool is. And saves a lot of stairs, and time waiting for a elevator! If you have been on there web site you can pick the room you want.

ENJOY:)

Edited by TORQ

That should be plenty of time. You might even be able to put a hold on it now if you wanted to. The deposit is usually not that much and the balance is not due until about 75-90 days out. I have not sailed Carnival so I dont know what their policy is for that.

The reason for the cabin suggestion being mid ship is due to movement. The lower your cabin is as well as the closer to the middle of the ship the less movement that will be felt in your cabin. If you dont plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin then this isnt as big of a deal. If you know you dont get seasick this also isnt a big deal. Our first time we were at the front of the ship on deck 12 so we completely ignored that whole thing. We also only slept in the room (including afternoon naps, the Caribbean sun drains your energy like crazy or at least for us New Englanders).

I would also suggest to be aware of what is around the cabin that you are booking. Like you said you want to try and get a cabin that only has other cabins above or below it. If you cant find one like that make sure you are not right below the pool deck or right above/below a club. They will be loud. Also try to make sure you arent near a crew only entrance as those can get noisy with people coming and going all the time.

Hi! Im sorry if this was answered somewhere else already, but Im brand new to the forum, so Im learning still :)

My main question is this: I will be booking a Caribbean cruise for my husband and I in mid-February. We are looking at September, October or November (we are pretty open to any) aboard the Carnival Breeze. Do you think that is adequate time to still find a room and excursions and all that fun? We are just planning on an interior room.

Also, I have heard Mid ship, with rooms above and below is the best option for a first time cruiser...should I plan on this, and if so do you think it will be hard to find 6-8 months out?

Oh and one more: Does anyone know if FTTF would still be available at that time frame? We would like to buy it just to streamline things, but I wasnt sure if it will be sold out since it is limited.

Thanks so much, and again, if this was answered elsewhere, Im sorry! And just point me in the correct direction :)

Typically 6-8 months out should be enough time. However, very popular itineraries can sell out even a year in advance.

Yes, for an inside cabin, mid ship with cabins above and below are best. I would also add that lower will have less movement than higher.

I don't know about FTTF as I have never purchased it (I'm platinum on Carnival).

With that out of the way, I am going to suggest you put a refundable deposit down ASAP. Since the deposit is refundable, all you are loosing out on is the interest, which at today's rate amounts to about 6¢. That is the on cons. The advantages - if the rate goes up, you get to keep the old lower rate. If the rate goes down, you can rebook at the new lower rate. If the rate goes up and you didn't put down a deposit, you cannot ask for the old lower rate.

The earlier you book the more cabin choices you have and the earlier you can start to book your excursions (if they are ready to be booked). You can also purchase FTTF if you want to.

Also, FYI, hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30.

Finally, since all your questions are specific to Carnival, I would suggest posting your questions in the Carnival forum, not the new cruiser forum.

Edited by Cuizer2

Welcome to cruising! For my first cruise was worried about motion as well so we booked an inside midship. My DH (at the time) was a little seasick one night during some serious storms, but was actually fine once in the room.

Since that cruise I have been mid-ship, forward, and aft with no difficulties. The Breeze is a very big ship.

If you are prone to motion sickness you can try sea bands, meclazine, or a scopolamine patch.

One suggestion as well when booking your first cruise is to book through a Personal Vacation Planner (PVP) with Carnival or a TA that deals specifically with cruises. I booked with a TA the first time, but now use my PVP.