Serenade Internet Speedtest Jan 22, 2016

rakes5

I am currently on the Serenade of the Seas, sitting in the port in St. Marten. Not many people are on board, and I used my Diamond + perk for the last 4 days of a 10 day cruise. I was first able to use my DW perk to get two individual 24 periods, and then mine for the last 4 days.

The cost is $40 for one 24 hr period, or $20 / day if you sign up for remainder of your cruise.

Diamond Plus perk gives each person 2 24 periods. So if used individually, a couple would get 4 24 periods. You also can get a $80 credit towards the unlimited, but you can only use one. Two members cannot combine to get $160. However I was able to successfully use the 2 24 periods for one person, and the $80 credit for the other. By waiting to use one 24 hour period until later in the day on day 2, I was able to get Internet over two days, and spread the 2 24 hour period over the first 6 days, then used the other $80 credit for remainder.

We weren't on constantly, but used it to keep in touch with home. We were able to successfully make Skype phone calls, to our parents land lines, and Skype texts, using Skype credit, send and receive iMessages on our iPhones, and send and receive Facebook messenger texts.

I have an iPhone 4, and my DW had an iPhone 4S.

Using Internet to browse was spotty. Sometime sites did not load, sometimes they did. As I said, we didn't do a lot of browsing, mostly emails, texts, and Skype to stay in contact. I tried to do a speedtest earlier when we were at sea, and was unable to connect to a server.

Here is today's Speedtest results using Ookla Speedtest.

A detailed image for this result can be found here: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1518339258

Test Date: Jan 22, 2016 11:08 AM

Download: 0.15 Mbps

Upload: 0.23 Mbps

Ping: 759 ms

Connection Type: Wi-Fi

Server: Miami, FL

External IP: 74.119.161.40

Internal IP: 172.27.23.23

Latitude: 18.0138

Longitude: -63.0449

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=18.013831,-63.044927

Hi There, April will be our first time sailing on Royal C and I'm hoping you or anyone watching can tell me if we can buy individual days or does it have to be for our entire 11 night cruise. Also we would only want it to keep in touch with family at home via text or email so is it still really spotty or easy to use. Thank you all in advance.

Hi There, April will be our first time sailing on Royal C and I'm hoping you or anyone watching can tell me if we can buy individual days or does it have to be for our entire 11 night cruise. Also we would only want it to keep in touch with family at home via text or email so is it still really spotty or easy to use. Thank you all in advance.

You can buy individual 24-hour periods, but the price per period will be higher than if you buy for the entire cruise.