"That" snow storm

pacmom

Host Jazz and all affected by the storm,

Hope you are safe and warm. Grew up in the NYC area, lived in the DC area--can remember some of those blizzards. My children remember being out of school for 2 weeks because Fairfax County, VA wouldn't open schools unless all the sidewalks were shoveled. Also remember rationing at Giant so that all could have some bread and milk.

We here in the Dayton, OH area dodged the storm. We only have a few inches on the ground from earlier in the week.

Really hope that there is plenty in your pantry and fridge--also plenty of wine/beer on hand. Stay warm. Pat

I dodged the storm by the simple stratagem of spending the winter in Florida and Alabama! But HydroKitty and some of my neighbors have sent pictures and yeah it was a big one. Just heard that our son has had our house plowed and he is shoveling the walks -- all those years of sacrifice are paying off! ;)

I dodged the storm by the simple stratagem of spending the winter in Florida and Alabama! But HydroKitty and some of my neighbors have sent pictures and yeah it was a big one. Just heard that our son has had our house plowed and he is shoveling the walks -- all those years of sacrifice are paying off! ;)

What a good child ! I sent my son to college and all I got was quarter back (thx Groucho)Anyway we had 25 inches of snow in Westchester (just 18 miles North of NYC). Times such as these make me more excited for our July river cruise-when it will no doubt be 80+ degrees and then we will have something else to complain about. :)

Carole

Thanks to HydroKitty I have some scenes of how bad it was on Long Island, at least if you don't heed the Lizzard Warning :D

LOL!!! :D

Our final official tally at JFK was 30.5" a new record...oh and another storm may be coming next Thursday....maybe the LIRR will be running on schedule by then.

Not sure about those "official" tallies any more. I read that DC lost their snow gauge so they had to estimate. And now this from Brooklyn, showing how my favorite weatherman used his paw to get the reading over the record:

Not sure about those "official" tallies any more. I read that DC lost their snow gauge so they had to estimate. And now this from Brooklyn, showing how my favorite weatherman used his paw to get the reading over the record:

Can't get more official than that!! We had a reading at Islip Airport that was 23.4 but I got 26 on my deck. I think JFK got 30.5 and set a new record....but that was on the evening news yesterday. According to Newsday totals on the Island ranged from 14.5 in Southampton to 29.6 in Hicksville. But it's in the 40's today so life is good. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

We got close to 32" in our backyard in an area that doesn't get blowing snow drifts, so pretty accurate - but definitely far from official. Still waiting on snowplow but driveway is clear at least. My daughter is a nurse who worked Friday night and was stuck at the hospital until Monday afternoon when the sheriff's department started driving nurses and doctors back and forth. She worked 4 shifts over the weekend and slept on a gurney in the ER. This has certainly been one for the books!

We got close to 32" in our backyard in an area that doesn't get blowing snow drifts, so pretty accurate - but definitely far from official. Still waiting on snowplow but driveway is clear at least. My daughter is a nurse who worked Friday night and was stuck at the hospital until Monday afternoon when the sheriff's department started driving nurses and doctors back and forth. She worked 4 shifts over the weekend and slept on a gurney in the ER. This has certainly been one for the books!

You guys got slammed Elizabeth....we were expecting 4-8 then 6-12 then 8-16 and finally 12-30!! But at least we were expecting a good bit of snow...I feel for the people in areas that went to bed expecting 3-6 and woke up to 30+.

We returned to NJ from our Caribbean cruise on Monday night only to drag suitcases up a driveway of 15 inches of unplowed snow... Didn't look or feel much like the white sand beaches we had recently sailed away from....

I wouldn't recommend running barefoot through it! But at least you got to go on your cruise and you missed the brunt of the storm and now it's melting almost as rapidly as it fell. You didn't get any flooding did you? I really feel for the Jersey Shore folks....they got slammed again. Makes me glad I live near the beach and not on it!!!