Zaandam: Questions

Annalise

Can somebody give me a heads up on the Zaandam? I am seriously considering the 10 day Southern Carrib. How is the food quality? How are portions? How is service? I am an elderly woman with both physical and hearing impairments. Can someone recommend a waiter who speaks clearly & loudly to avoid embarrassment on my part? I know I sound like high maintenance however I'd like to enjoy this cruise with minimal disruption both on my part & the cruise staff's part & if I can find this info. out before going, it would be great!!! Thanks for you assistance.

Hi Annalise,

We were on the Zaandam this May for a 7 day Inside Passage Cruise in Alaska.

We have previously sailed on HAL Veendam and Zuiderdam. The Zaandam is a lovely vessel, well maintained, and with the new SOE upgrades, very modern and comfortable.

One of our party was also physically impaired, utilizing an electric scooter.

Her cabin was a handicapped accessible room, and met her needs very nicely. The crew were always happy to accomodate her needs and quick to assist as needed.

I would heartily recommend the Zaandam and would sail her again at the drop of a hat.

Have a great cruise.

Sam

Can somebody give me a heads up on the Zaandam? I am seriously considering the 10 day Southern Carrib. How is the food quality? How are portions? How is service? I am an elderly woman with both physical and hearing impairments. Can someone recommend a waiter who speaks clearly & loudly to avoid embarrassment on my part? I know I sound like high maintenance however I'd like to enjoy this cruise with minimal disruption both on my part & the cruise staff's part & if I can find this info. out before going, it would be great!!! Thanks for you assistance.

Just returned Oct 12th from 14 day Panama Canal cruise on Zaandam. I found the ship to be immaculate and easy to get around. The mostly Phillipino crew was splendid - courteous, friendly, helpful and always with a smile on their face. The average passenger age was about 70 so the crew is used to dealing with the elderly set and very patient with folks with impairments. The food was very good - portions were adequate. I can assure you that you will not go away hungry. Each meal had a choice of chicken, fish, a meat dish, pasta and a specialty of the night. Of the 20+ cruises I've sailed on various lines, I believe Zaandam would best serve the needs of someone like you. One "heads-up": Most passengers wanted the earlier sitting around 6pm in the dining room. Those that could not be accommodated could take the evening meal in the Lido restaurant around 6 instead a waiting for 8-8:30 in the main dining room. Many who didn't get the early dining room sitting were bitterly disappointed. If this is important to you, I would try to lock in the early sitting before booking.

May I too ask some questions about the Zandamm, especially the Alaska trip? That's what I'm going on...

First, previous poster mentioned passengers averaging 70 years old. I am going on a family command performance trip, and I have to bring along a toddler and preschooler. What do I need to know to be prepared for a trip on the Zandamm through Alaska, especially since ship caters to older crowd?

Second, we have a "quad." Do you know if that means 2 double beds, or 4 single beds, or will any of those be pull down beds? Also, if I request a crib, is it a folding portacrib/packnplay or a metal mini crib?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

DH & I were on her in March and will be taking the So. Carib/Panama Canal 10-day on Nov 1. I think you will love the ship! If the waiter can't understand you--just point at the menu...and do not feel embarrassed...DH does it all the time! Seriously, we have never had a problem anywhere on ship with language. Even cabin stewards were fine....The staff is trained very well. HAL is also used to passengers with ambulatory issues and accommodates them nicely...Only problem is if you have to tender to ports. With children- on our Panama Canal 16-day cruise there was an infant....parents said ship took good care of his sleeping arrangements. Probably the ocean motion helps!

Archived