Euro exchange

cruisinlawn

will they exchange USD to Euro and vice versa also ? any tips on getting the best exchange rates when traveling ? as you can see ive never had to swap out my money before

I would imagine you will get a poor rate of exchange like you do at the airports if you change at the service desk on board ship.

There are ATM's on board, but I had a bad experience on the Breeze, when no cash was dispensed, but bank records showed the money had been issued. It took us almost 12 months to get the funds back into my account.

will they exchange USD to Euro and vice versa also ? any tips on getting the best exchange rates when traveling ? as you can see ive never had to swap out my money before

No money exchange on the Vista of USD to Euro. The best rate of exchange is via a credit card ESP one that has no foreign transaction fees. Before you leave, find which of your cards has no foreign transaction fee. If you don't have one, try and apply for one before you leave.

As for cash, I've recently researched and found AAA (you can order euros online) and HSBC having the best exchange rates right now. (sOme banks need to order euros for you so don't wait until the last minute...bigger banks have euros on hand). Do not exchange at the airport or the hotel you are staying at. The rates are terrible usually.

As to debit cards, people claim this is also a good rate but my 2 cards each charge a fee totaling 5% of the money you take out plus either $5 or $6 fee for each withdrawal. If you use the card as a debit card to make a purchase, the fees are similar as well. I suppose if you do only one or two withdrawals on an entire trip, it might be worth your while.

I would call each bank you have a credit card with and each bank you have a debit or arm card with and get all your rates and fees. tHen take one or 2 of each. Do not rely soley on American Express in Europe as they are not widely accepted. They also have the largest fees. Also, AMEX is now connected with Travelex and their exchange rates and fees are terrible.

For safety sake, keep a copy of the front and back of each credit card you take with you. In case you lose the card, you have the tel number with you to call and cancel the card. Having the card number is handy too so they won't spend time searching for it when you are calling. (Just keep that paperwork with the card info secure).

Lastly, any card you take with you, call the respective banks and tell them that you are using the cards during XYZ time at ABC countries. That way, your cards hopefully won't get declined when you start using them. Otherwise they might get blocked for suspicious activity. Even when you do call and advise them, they still might freeze you. That's when a second card always comes in handy as does a cell phone.

I hope all this helps. I believe we are on the same Vista cruise on 5/14 and I just started doing my homework. LoL

PS Do not exchange money at a store (to make a purchase) or pay USD for items in Europe in a store with euro price tags. That exchange rate is probably the worst next to a hotel rate. Obviously, if it's all you have or the item is incredibly inexpensive to start with, it really doesn't matter.

• 3 weeks later...
The best rate of exchange is via a credit card ESP one that has no foreign transaction fees.

What is ESP?

Also at least most credit cards would consider this a cash advance and start charging you the interest rate on the card on the transaction date.

Do you know of a card that wouldn't consider this a cash advance?

I carry two cards with me to Europe. One is a debit to an account I have with USAA. I only have funds in this account I want to spend on the trip. The other is a Capital One MC that I use as back up. Both of the cards have foreign transaction fees. Another thing I learned after my first trip is to have an amount of Euros with you. When we went to the ATM at the airport they were all down and not working. This makes it hard to pay for transportation from the airport.

Experienced travelers know that using an ATM card to get local currency offers the best exchange rate on any given day.

This does not include the ATM's onboard a ship. Using one of these often adds 8% to the transaction cost.

Several CC members (myself included) use an ATM card from a credit union. These often have no usage charges and offer exchange rates of 1%. Hard to beat.

Domestic banks (AAA, Wells Fargo, BOA) offer foreign currency and some claim no fees, but closer examination reveal that their fees are hidden in the total cost of the currency.

I carry two cards with me to Europe. One is a debit to an account I have with USAA. I only have funds in this account I want to spend on the trip. The other is a Capital One MC that I use as back up. Both of the cards have foreign transaction fees.

Capital One doens't charge foreign transaction fees on any of its cards. I'd be surprised if USAA did, too. Did you mean to put that both of them have NO foreign transaction fees?

What is ESP?

Also at least most credit cards would consider this a cash advance and start charging you the interest rate on the card on the transaction date.

Do you know of a card that wouldn't consider this a cash advance?

ESP is, I think, an abbreviation for especially in this instance.

Cheapest method should be a Visa or MasterCard linked to your bank checking account, rather than a credit card. Most are still likely to charge a foreign exchange premium, but it's still likely to beat a bureau de change.

Cheapest method should be a Visa or MasterCard linked to your bank checking account, rather than a credit card. Most are still likely to charge a foreign exchange premium, but it's still likely to beat a bureau de change.

Someone suggested the charles schwab account. No FTF's and reimbursement of foreign atm fees. Those two costs really add up if you arent paying attention.

Capital One doens't charge foreign transaction fees on any of its cards. I'd be surprised if USAA did, too. Did you mean to put that both of them have NO foreign transaction fees?

Yes I did.... Darn keyboard doesn't keep up with my brain..... No Foreign Transaction Fees .... Thanks

Edited by hbrote

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, Charles Schwab is the way to go. I live in Mexico but got my account with my daughters USA address. I pay no transaction fees at all and foreign ATM fees, actually any ATM fees are reimbursed at the end of each month.

I just opened my CS accounts and set up automatic funding. What a great out of sight out of mind vacation fund. Cant wait to "bust" the piggy bank open and spend it in Europe.

Also im over paying (prefunding) my no foreign transaction fee credit card so IF i need to use it at an atm it will come out of the over payment rather than be a cash advance.

Gotta think of the just in case scenario