Caye Caulker on our own?

mrsfuzzmo

Just starting to explore the Belize City port and it's options. Is Caye Caulker a pretty easy day? I understand we would tender into port, then hop another boat to the CC and wondering what the timing is on those ferry/boats.

Do they run on a consistent basis (every hour or so) or are they hard scheduled? I think this looks like something that would be right up our alley. We could do it with the ship, but would rather do it on our own if possible.

Any other ideas for four 50 yr olds who have traveled a lot and like to find a local bar/restaurant and some interesting little shops?

We may choose to do the cave tubing in the end, but wanted to hear more about hitting Caye Caulker as well.

I think you can do Caye Caulker on your own just fine. But it'll depend on what time of the year you go and how long your ship is in port (i.e., last tender time back to ship). Belize is on Central Standard Time all year long. There are 2 ferry services. Both have "regularly scheduled" runs. If you google Belize water taxi you'll find their websites and schedules. Easy walking along the main drag or you can rent a golf cart. Shops and places to eat. I'll refrain from recommendations as it's been a few years since I went there and places change or new ones open.

If you decide not to head there and not do cavetubing may I suggest grabbing a taxi and having the driver take you to Admiral's Bay. It's on the ocean by Buttonwood Park off the Northern Highway, near the Travelers Liquor Museum, or what ever it is called (good stop for rum). Turn toward the ocean at the traffic circle. Really good seafood. very reasonably priced and not well know amongst cruisers. Then grab a picture by the Belize sign nearby. I think there are reviews on TA or one of the Belize Restaurant sites.

If you do cavetubing, look up David at Cave Tubing R US, great guy, very friendly really good tubes and guides. Small groups. Or cavetubing .bz. which will have buses and a larger group of folks depending on which ships are in.

Just starting to explore the Belize City port and it's options. Is Caye Caulker a pretty easy day? I understand we would tender into port, then hop another boat to the CC and wondering what the timing is on those ferry/boats.

Do they run on a consistent basis (every hour or so) or are they hard scheduled? I think this looks like something that would be right up our alley. We could do it with the ship, but would rather do it on our own if possible.

Any other ideas for four 50 yr olds who have traveled a lot and like to find a local bar/restaurant and some interesting little shops?

We may choose to do the cave tubing in the end, but wanted to hear more about hitting Caye Caulker as well.

We did this (2 couples) and our friends who were cruising for the first time still rave about it. It is very, very easy to do on your own, and a great choice for this port if you're not an avid snorkeler.

The ferry terminal is just to the left as you exit the port area and you buy your water taxi tickets there. Depending on the boat it may just be an enclosed boat or something better. But less than an hour and we stopped on the way to drop water off on another spit.

We wandered the main street and made our way to the Lazy Lizard at the Split. We really enjoyed relaxing there with inexpensive beers and great food and an amazing view out over the water. A very rustic spot and the restrooms are even more rustic. But we met expats living there and really enjoyed our time there. The girls had the Lizard Juice, a powerful concoction that leaves a green tongue.

You can also buy a one-way water taxi pass and fly back, if interested check out Mayan and Tropic Air. You'd fly back to the Belize Minicipal Airport and take a short taxi back to the tender dock. There's another recent thread on this topic where I mentioned that.

We also enjoyed apps and drinks at the Wet Lizard in the port area. But I think you will enjoy the Lazy Lizard and be happy that you made the trek over to Caye Caulker.

We did that last week. The only problem we had was the ship was not cleared to tender on time ( we were scheduled to be on the first tender at 7am) didn't leave until 7:20 and just missed the 8 am water taxi and had to wait for the next one at 9. Last tender back to the ship was 4:15 so we couldn't risk taking the 3:30 water taxi so we had to take the 1:30. Keep in mind this is a tender port so you need to plan on losing 45 minutes coming and going.

We ended renting a golf cart for $10.00 an hour driving around and hanging out at the Lizard. We only had 3 hours but were glad we went, have fun

We did that last week. The only problem we had was the ship was not cleared to tender on time ( we were scheduled to be on the first tender at 7am) didn't leave until 7:20 and just missed the 8 am water taxi and had to wait for the next one at 9. Last tender back to the ship was 4:15 so we couldn't risk taking the 3:30 water taxi so we had to take the 1:30. Keep in mind this is a tender port so you need to plan on losing 45 minutes coming and going.

We ended renting a golf cart for $10.00 an hour driving around and hanging out at the Lizard. We only had 3 hours but were glad we went, have fun

Yep thanks! We are frequent cruisers and know all the nuances of the tender and being back on time. Looking forward to the only port in the Caribbean we haven't done yet!!

As you stroll through the town you will see small shops selling nice wood carvings and some great little bars. Golf cart taxis are cheap if you want a ride back to the dock from LL. We're planning to return to CC as part of a land vacation, we're building a home in the Playa Del Carmen area and it's very easy to get to San Pedro and CC from there. We're late 50's - early 60's and I know from other threads we share a love for many areas you've visited, and I'm looking forward to reading about your day on CC! :)

As you stroll through the town you will see small shops selling nice wood carvings and some great little bars. Golf cart taxis are cheap if you want a ride back to the dock from LL. We're planning to return to CC as part of a land vacation, we're building a home in the Playa Del Carmen area and it's very easy to get to San Pedro and CC from there. We're late 50's - early 60's and I know from other threads we share a love for many areas you've visited, and I'm looking forward to reading about your day on CC! :)

I'm jealous of your new home!! I will be sure to post when we return!

Caye Caulker is great. Took the water taxi over there a couple times before and it was very easy. Actually stayed at Caye Caulker for a whole week several years back. Loved every minute of it. We took the water taxi over and then flew back out of the small airport there. There are some good restaurants and cafes on the island. A lot of expats own businesses there. Great snorkeling trips out of there as well. Have fun!

Do you need to book a flight back to Belize Municipal in advance or can you book on the island? If you're not ready to return when the water taxi returns can you grab a flight back on the fly?

I booked first thing when I arrived. The golf cart taxi will take you down there because it would be a long walk. I would book it as early as you can because they are small planes and do fill up. The water taxis run you back as well.

• 4 weeks later...
I booked first thing when I arrived. The golf cart taxi will take you down there because it would be a long walk. I would book it as early as you can because they are small planes and do fill up. The water taxis run you back as well.

How do you book to fly back? As soon as you land on Caye Caulker you take a golf cart taxi to the airport to book a ticket?

We really want to do this! It sounds like such a wonderful day and exciting too!

How do you book to fly back? As soon as you land on Caye Caulker you take a golf cart taxi to the airport to book a ticket?

We really want to do this! It sounds like such a wonderful day and exciting too!

Yes, have the golf cart taxi take you over there. The flights run just about every hour. Tropic Air. 15-minute flight. Go into BELIZE MUNICIPAL and NOT BZE INTERNATIONAL> Municipal is closer to the port. International is further out from the city but not too bad.... you can always stop at the rum distillary on the way back... depends on how long your stop is in Belize. Tickets to Municipal is usually around $50. Awesome views.

Edited by BrotherCraig