Insurance question

tilocke88

Im booking a Carnival cruise aboard the Breeze, and in the process the link offered a vacation insurance. Can anyone give me a little background on that? Does everyone usually buy it? Is it worth the price?

Would appreciate any information! Still pretty new to this process

I go to InsureMyTrip.com and get third party coverage. It is less expensive, has much better medical coverage, and in most cases covers preexisting conditions. You can also get Cancel For Any Reason coverage which will give you actual cash back as opposed to a future cruise credit.

Edited by firemanbobswife

The question is ... if you are away from home on vacation and hand an accident can you afford not to have it?

For around a hundred bucks it gives us peace of mind knowing if something happened we have medical coverage.

The question is ... if you are away from home on vacation and hand an accident can you afford not to have it?

For around a hundred bucks it gives us peace of mind knowing if something happened we have medical coverage.

I agree, travel insurance is very wise, I was just wondering more so if the Carnival offered option was what people have found to be worthwhile! Or if I should look elsewhere! Thanks :)

I go to InsureMyTrip.com and get third party coverage. It is less expensive, has much better medical coverage, and in most cases covers preexisting conditions. You can also get Cancel For Any Reason coverage which will give you actual cash back as opposed to a future cruise credit.

I will check them out, thank you!

I never used to buy insurance until I saw on here that a CC member had to be airlifted to a hospital for emergency and it cost 12 grand. I said oh my..it's worth a few extra dollars to have that piece of mind.

I've had 3 hernia surgeries with a 4th on the horizon, I need that piece of mind.

I go through my auto insurance USAA and get better coverage for less and kiddos are FREE. Worth it to look into it. Carnival typically has the worst coverage for way more $$$.

I agree, travel insurance is very wise, I was just wondering more so if the Carnival offered option was what people have found to be worthwhile! Or if I should look elsewhere! Thanks :)

Carnival option is not bad.

Has low medical coverage, but does include Cancel For Any Reason, Job Related reasons, trip delay, etc.

However, you could get better medical etc, if you look and compare at a few places such as http://www.tripinsurancestore.com.

Unless you're in a financial situation where you can afford to self insure.

Can you afford to lose the $5K for the cruise

Can you afford $50K for medical evacuation

Do I go with Carnival plan? No

I usually go with Travel Guard Gold. I have to have pre-existing conditions waiver coverage

I met a lady on our last cruise.. she felt and broke her wrist.

Her cousin bought insurance for the first time.... they had to go to hospital by ambulance (and they wanted cash up front..too) then to the hospital it was a clean break but the MD from the cruise said it is their policy to send out..

After the hospital $3500 er visit, hotel stay, airfare back to the state..

all came out of pocket and will have to submit it .

I will be getting it now too.

Well I hate to say it but I'm now one of the examples of why you buy trip insurance. I have always bought it just in case but on the Jan 13-24 Journey cruise from San Juan we made it just to day 4 before needing the insurance.

In Dominica while snorkeling my sister became very ill. Ended up with the medical center (who were amazing with her) telling us since she couldn't stabilize we had to leave the ship. The Dominica medical center was a nightmare luckily she improved enough not to be admitted there since there was no way I was leaving her there alone and if she had worsened I am not sure they could have cared for her (they said I had to leave her alone there if she was admitted).

Anyway, long story short it took 3 days to get off Dominica since 1 flight a day and full flight on 2nd day.

Made the long flight the third day and when we got home at midnight day 3 it ended up she had a heart attack that wasn't diagnosed, actually a good thing since I would have been even more panicked and she could not have gotten care I would trust in Dominica. We are talking no blankets, pillows, flooded bathroom in the communal room with no lock on bathroom door, sinks with no soap or towels. I have been renewed in my gratitude for our care here.

Anyway. Without having credit cards with a good enough limit to pay for hotel, flights, port agent who assisted us and ability to get a cash advance for taxi's etc I am not sure what a family would do. And we did have the assistence of the Trip Insurance agent who contacted the Dominica facility for us. Carnival assigned us a port agent but he was very clear there was a cost and tip expected, however he did do everything we needed in Dominica so good enough.

Even without life flight out (which I wish had happened even with the expense) I will be reimbursed for the 8,000 dollars approximately for the illness/medical facilities, last minute flights; hotel, agent fees, taxis etc etc.

Definitely recommending trip insurance. If I went with Carnival insurance alone I'm sure it wouldn't cover as much as I had through trip insurance.

I have to say I have been pleased (other than being left in Dominica with the third world medical care) The care and kindness from Carnival has been amazing. Every person I spoke with has been going above and beyond to help me gather information and the medical facility there was great.

All I can say is, be sure it is worth the risk and you can financially handle the loss if you choose to go without insurance. My sister hadn't been sick at all so totally out of the blue other than her age but still only mid 60's.

Still coming down from the adventure but things are coming together and sounding like it will be completely covered.

So glad I listened to the advice here to never travel without credit card with higher limit. It was a life saver.

And we did have 4 great days before the adventure. Hoping it doesn't scare her off our next cruise:)

Im booking a Carnival cruise aboard the Breeze, and in the process the link offered a vacation insurance. Can anyone give me a little background on that? Does everyone usually buy it? Is it worth the price?

Would appreciate any information! Still pretty new to this process

We use Allianz travel insurance. What we like about Allianz is that it gives your $10,000 in primary insurance. To get the "no pre existing condition" portion, you must book it within 2 weeks of paying your deposit. You can also move dates, if needed.

We had to use the Carnival's insurance 4 years ago and the amounts were barely enough to cover the cost of an air ambulance from Canada to the Midwest. The medical staff on board are amazing, but they will have you leave the ship for most emergencies.

We never travel without insurance anymore, even within the US.

Hope this helps.

We just did this through my TA.... but waited wasn't in the 2 week of deposit..

A tad more but for 5 people it was under $225.00 however kids under 17 are free...

Hear horror stories all the time and thought rather be safe then sorry...

We use Allianz travel insurance. What we like about Allianz is that it gives your $10,000 in primary insurance. To get the "no pre existing condition" portion, you must book it within 2 weeks of paying your deposit. You can also move dates, if needed.

We had to use the Carnival's insurance 4 years ago and the amounts were barely enough to cover the cost of an air ambulance from Canada to the Midwest. The medical staff on board are amazing, but they will have you leave the ship for most emergencies.

We never travel without insurance anymore, even within the US.

Hope this helps.

We always but the insurance, and I had to actually use it on a cruise about 2 years ago. I got very ill on the last night of the cruise and had to be treated in the infirmary on the ship and then be transferred to the hospital upon arriving in Miami. The insurance covered the ship care and the emergency room care plus the cost to change our flight out the next day. So, we feel it is a must when traveling.