Skagway helicopter/dog sledding?

fire&teacher

Has anyone taken the helicopter/dog sledding excursion in Skagway?Opinions please.

Pricey, plan backup for the often weather related issue, but it was spectacular and the highlight for our family.

It has been a few years but from what I read similar. Tightly scripted schedule, we had a great pilot who showed us great views ( YMMV ).

After landing you get a quick orientation/walk and view of the camp then on to meet your driver and dogs. Get to spend sometime with them then off to a all too brief ride. We stopped few times for views, photo ops and stuff. Back to camp in too short duration and meet the pups, everyone loves the pups :rolleyes:

p1097124799-3.jpg

p1097124872-3.jpg

p1097124947-3.jpg

p1097124959-3.jpg

p1097124996-3.jpg

Chipmaster,

What month did you go? How cold was it? We're going mid May and I'm trying to decide what to take to wear.

I went first week of May 2015. Temperature on the mountain was mid-30's and temperature at the port was low 70's!!!!! That was truly an anomaly.

Wear layers for the mountain and remove a layer when you return back to the TEMSCO heliport. You will be supplied an orange vest and overshoes to wear in the deep snow. Definitely need sunglasses and a polarizing filter is recommended for cameras to cut the glare.

Having icy pellets, kicked up from the many paws, strike you in the face adds quite another sensation to the thrill of the ride.

P5120108-1.jpg

More sledding photographs:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway/dog-sledding/nggallery/page/1

Chipmaster,

What month did you go? How cold was it? We're going mid May and I'm trying to decide what to take to wear.

It was a few years ago but July 4th week. As you can see we did well with two light layers/gloves/sunglasses. I would think May can expect from 40 to 60 degrees. You can always send a note to the vendors for recommendation. We found email response to be good, we booked directly and walked from dock to airport ( it was a long walk ) but got a free ride back.

We did the Skagway tour last year, early June. It's an amazing experience. Being from AZ I expected to be very cold, but actually got a little warm on the tour so layering is great advice. The only thing I didn't like is being packed in the chopper like sardines. I was in the middle back with 3 others. Being in the middle made it difficult to see the sights, but I still would do it all over again. Bring some cash, they will take pics of you as you are riding...I think a picture was $30.