shopping ashore program

jcerniglow

We have cruised numerous times on Disney and other lines. I have always found the jewelry selection in st Thomas to be good and pricing good. I pride myself on being an informed shopper. The onboard presentation claimed, as always, significant discounts. The fantasy shoppers were Candace and Mark. We live in Maryland. I had been pricing an Effy bracelet from their water colors collection. In ocean city Maryland, it was priced at 3500 but the manager said that they would sell it to me for 3300. I decided to wait for my cruise.

I entered the Effy store in St Thomas with my card in hand from Candace. Spoke with the manager, Anil (I think that is the correct name). The sticker on the bracelet was 3850. (350 above retail or even internet pricing). He said the best that he could do was 3450. When I told him that I could purchase it in the states for less, his response was that I would have to pay tax in the states. true but still not the "savings" of at least 25% promised on board.

that evening I spoke with Mark regarding my experience. He seemed unaffected. I must admit that I was surprised. So I told him that instead I purchased a lovely pair of blue and white diamond earrings at Cardow. His response was that Cardow quality was poor that is why they were not on the approved list. Interesting because Cardow was approved last cruise. So, buyer beware.

I will still buy the bracelet at my local store. very disappointed in the shopping experience on board. In 20 cruises this was the only time I felt like it was a scam.

In other words, Cardow chose not to pay for the privilege to be on the list.

I personally have not found any thing worth buying that is expensive on a cruise. I would much prefer to buy it at home where I can easily return it.

Understand its all about paying for access. Disney and the other lines charge a huge amount of money for a vendor to be featured, and other than that all the vendor has to do is offer a 'discount' and a guarantee. They know the non-informed shoppers will eat that up.

Whoever is not on 'the list' they are obligated to talk down, even though they could be on 'the list' next week.

We have cruised numerous times on Disney and other lines. I have always found the jewelry selection in st Thomas to be good and pricing good. I pride myself on being an informed shopper. The onboard presentation claimed, as always, significant discounts. The fantasy shoppers were Candace and Mark. We live in Maryland. I had been pricing an Effy bracelet from their water colors collection. In ocean city Maryland, it was priced at 3500 but the manager said that they would sell it to me for 3300. I decided to wait for my cruise.

I entered the Effy store in St Thomas with my card in hand from Candace. Spoke with the manager, Anil (I think that is the correct name). The sticker on the bracelet was 3850. (350 above retail or even internet pricing). He said the best that he could do was 3450. When I told him that I could purchase it in the states for less, his response was that I would have to pay tax in the states. true but still not the "savings" of at least 25% promised on board.

that evening I spoke with Mark regarding my experience. He seemed unaffected. I must admit that I was surprised. So I told him that instead I purchased a lovely pair of blue and white diamond earrings at Cardow. His response was that Cardow quality was poor that is why they were not on the approved list. Interesting because Cardow was approved last cruise. So, buyer beware.

I will still buy the bracelet at my local store. very disappointed in the shopping experience on board. In 20 cruises this was the only time I felt like it was a scam.

You do understand that the onboard shopping "experts" are paid by the stores to push those stores who pay to be on the "list." It is that simple. They don't work for the cruise line and while they pretend to be your friend, they don't work for the cruiser. Their job is to say anything necessary without a blatant lie (and I'm not sure that doesn't happen) to get you to those stores that pay the fee.

I'm with others--if I'm buying something because it is pretty and I like it, fine. If I'm buying something because I believe it is "quality" stuff, I'll buy in the states from a reputable jeweler. There are plenty of stories of price drops when someone who knows their stuff comes into the store as well as questions of quality of the merchandise. Their business is based on the concept that you only have one day--no time to think it over, shop around, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

I once had a shopping expert get pissy at me for not wanting the shopping brochure he was carrying as I was getting off in port for an 8 hour excursion. When I told him I had no intention to do any shopping (and truth be told, if I were to go shopping, it wouldn't have been at any of the stores he was pushing) he seemed upset. This was on Princess in Alaska.

Actually at least on 2 lines, not sure about Disney, they do work for the line but their positions are paid for by the program (otherwise they would have to make deals with the shops themselves and would vary from ship to ship).

I remember at one point, Diamonds international paid something like $145K for 6 months of being a featured vendor in the Caribbean when Princess only had 2 or 3 ships in the area. Big money and they expect to get that back in sales/profits.

For ships that do a regular rotation, the money can be even higher because the vendors bid on certain slots (preferred high end jewelry, preferred watch, etc.)

Moki's still right tho, they do not work for you, so if you can't get the deal you want, never buy. And if you are not sure of what you are buying in terms of value - don't buy.

For the record, we have bought significant jewelry on a cruise 2x, once in Colombia from a local vendor (provided our tour services and had a great rep) and once in Europe from the jeweler who made the piece. In both cases I had the items appraised at home and did very good on one, the other was a tossup because it was a custom one of a kind piece, I did pay high on cost of materials.

Unless you are buying where the jewelry is produced, its rare you can't get an equally good deal in the US (Europe may be different because of the VAT)

(

You do understand that the onboard shopping "experts" are paid by the stores to push those stores who pay to be on the "list." It is that simple. They don't work for the cruise line and while they pretend to be your friend' date=' they don't work for the cruiser. Their job is to say anything necessary without a blatant lie (and I'm not sure that doesn't happen) to get you to those stores that pay the fee.

I'm with others--if I'm buying something because it is pretty and I like it, fine. If I'm buying something because I believe it is "quality" stuff, I'll buy in the states from a reputable jeweler. There are plenty of stories of price drops when someone who knows their stuff comes into the store as well as questions of quality of the merchandise. Their business is based on the concept that you only have one day--no time to think it over, shop around, etc.[/quote']

Actually at least on 2 lines, not sure about Disney, they do work for the line but their positions are paid for by the program (otherwise they would have to make deals with the shops themselves and would vary from ship to ship).

(

That seems like it is rather splitting hairs--to say that they work for the cruise line but the salary for that position is paid for by the island shopping program....bottom line, DCL is not paying for their salary if it is being reimbursed by "the program." And you are absolutely right that the deals and the "shopping guides" are virtually identical regardless of the cruise line.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether they are directly or indirectly paid by the stores they represent. They are in some way being paid by the store and it is their job to direct you to those stores.

As to the being rude when you don't want their handouts...I usually just take them and deposit them in the nearest trash can. The map of the island that is usually part of the handout may be worth something.

The difference is that they don't get the amount of money they could if they worked direct (but they would have to pay passage) and it means that they have no say in which stores to promote despite their personal preferences or opinion. Since Disney is paying them (even though the funds are coming from the stores) Disney decides what they can and cannot say, so Disney is responsible for the content.

If they were independent they could be challenged directly, but as noted, since Disney sets the spiel, they basically just go, 'Meh'. Think of them less as shopping consultants and more as paid entertainment a la QVC.

That seems like it is rather splitting hairs--to say that they work for the cruise line but the salary for that position is paid for by the island shopping program....bottom line' date=' DCL is not paying for their salary if it is being reimbursed by "the program." And you are absolutely right that the deals and the "shopping guides" are virtually identical regardless of the cruise line.

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter whether they are directly or indirectly paid by the stores they represent. They are in some way being paid by the store and it is their job to direct you to those stores.

As to the being rude when you don't want their handouts...I usually just take them and deposit them in the nearest trash can. The map of the island that is usually part of the handout may be worth something.[/quote']

I believe the company that provides shopping guides aboard DCL ships is still Onboard Media.

https://www.onboard.com

Parent company of Starboard Cruise Services

http://www.starboardcruise.com/home/

They pay DCL to have a rep onboard. They are a vendor just like photog and spa.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Huh. I remember the guy on the Dream when we went saying he worked for Disney, but he could have been fibbing.

Pretty sure most of the CCL brands handle it themselves, that makes sense given their size, I could see Disney outsourcing.

I believe the company that provides shopping guides aboard DCL ships is still Onboard Media.

https://www.onboard.com

Parent company of Starboard Cruise Services

http://www.starboardcruise.com/home/

They pay DCL to have a rep onboard. They are a vendor just like photog and spa.

ex techie

Huh. I remember the guy on the Dream when we went saying he worked for Disney, but he could have been fibbing.

Pretty sure most of the CCL brands handle it themselves, that makes sense given their size, I could see Disney outsourcing.

It could be that DCL have brought those services in house. I very much doubt it though, as it has so many risks attached to the recommendations.

As for CCL, they, RCI, NCL, Celebrity, Crystal, Silversea, HAL, Pullmantur, Costa and SkySea are all prominently listed on starboard cruises website as "partners".

http://www.starboardcruise.com/cruise-line-partners/

ex techie

Starboard handles the onboard shopping for those lines, but I didn't think they handled the offshore, but now I am not certain as I have seen the 'shopping hosts' selling in the stores too, which would make sense for them to be same company. All depends on the agreement with each line too, some could self-staff the stores others could subcontract.

The main point still holds, regardless of whether the line or partner provides 'shopping services', you need to be aware they are working for the line/partner and not for you, and they will say whatever their employer tells them to.

It could be that DCL have brought those services in house. I very much doubt it though, as it has so many risks attached to the recommendations.

As for CCL, they, RCI, NCL, Celebrity, Crystal, Silversea, HAL, Pullmantur, Costa and SkySea are all prominently listed on starboard cruises website as "partners".

http://www.starboardcruise.com/cruise-line-partners/

ex techie

The difference is that they don't get the amount of money they could if they worked direct (but they would have to pay passage) and it means that they have no say in which stores to promote despite their personal preferences or opinion. Since Disney is paying them (even though the funds are coming from the stores) Disney decides what they can and cannot say, so Disney is responsible for the content.

If they were independent they could be challenged directly, but as noted, since Disney sets the spiel, they basically just go, 'Meh'. Think of them less as shopping consultants and more as paid entertainment a la QVC.

Starboard handles the onboard shopping for those lines, but I didn't think they handled the offshore, but now I am not certain as I have seen the 'shopping hosts' selling in the stores too, which would make sense for them to be same company. All depends on the agreement with each line too, some could self-staff the stores others could subcontract.

The main point still holds, regardless of whether the line or partner provides 'shopping services', you need to be aware they are working for the line/partner and not for you, and they will say whatever their employer tells them to.

Absolutely.

But since we are discussing the roles on DCL, the merchandise CM's in the stores aboard ARE employed by DCL.

https://xjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&noback=0&partnerid=25348&siteid=5039&jobid=255749

The "Port Shopping Guides" on DCL are a vendor.

And I was mistaken about Starboard. They do not provide services on DCL ships.

That is handled by PPI Group. A friend who worked aboard was employed by PPI Group and moved Starboard when she changed lines.

Here is a list of DCL vendor positions:

http://dcl.disneycareers.com/en/explore-positions/additional-shipboard-positions/

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie