A HAVENly week on Escape - January 16 - 23, 2016

jmele999

Wow love your review and photos.I was on this cruise with you did b2b 9th Jan till the 23rd.Can't believe it's been one month since I boarded the amazing EscapeLooking forward to Breakaway next Jan for 2 weeks.

Were you onboard the Escape for two weeks or a b2b on another ship? I am sure that you had a great time.

This might be a really silly question. Sorry about that. I noticed that the Haven food looks mighty delicious and is only for Haven guests. Is some of the same food available in the regular dining room as well or is it a completely different menu?

The menu in the Haven restaurant is different from the MDRs and in some cases there are items on the Haven menu that are free (lobster) while you have to pay an uncharge in the MDR.

This might be a really silly question. Sorry about that. I noticed that the Haven food looks mighty delicious and is only for Haven guests. Is some of the same food available in the regular dining room as well or is it a completely different menu?

Pork belly appetizer is available at Cagney. Breakfast items are similar/identical to what you'll find at "public" restaurants.

St. Thomas

We got up early to enjoy a nice breakfast before our excursion to St. Johns and were lucky enough to enjoy the views of our arrival from the outdoor section of the Haven restaurant.

IMG_5581_zpskxap9a78.jpg

We picked up the pilot around 7:00 am and arrived at the pier before 8:00 am.

IMG_5578_zpsscso1ves.jpg

IMG_5579_zpsom72ujlo.jpg

Anthem of the Seas was right behind us. I must say that it is a beautiful looking ship.

IMG_5583_zpsmt0zijah.jpg

A trip to St. Johns

Prior to the cruise we had decided that we wanted to visit St. Johns and were going to do the excursion on our own. For those of you interested in going to St. Johns on your own, here are some simple instructions.

1) Take a taxi from the pier to Red Hook ($20 pp roundtrip)

2) Take a ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay in St. Johns ($14 pp roundtrip)

3) Upon arriving in Cruz Bay, you can either do an island tour ($25 pp) or head to one of the local beaches ($7pp each way)

However, two days before arriving in St. Thomas we decided to book the St. Johns Island Tour offered by NCL. It costs $75 pp and it is faster than taking a taxi and a ferry as you pick up the ferry right at the pier where Escape docks. The difference in price between the tour offered by NCL and doing the excursion on you own is only about $15 pp.

Scan_zpsizpimaed.jpeg

Scan%201_zpst1d3hv7b.jpeg

Scan%202_zpssygwmuyl.jpeg

Scan%203_zps4clprqwg.jpeg

We were asked to meet in the theater at 8:15 am and walked together as a group down to the other end of the pier to take the ferry to St. Johns.

IMG_5589_zpsgwqfmwti.jpg

Anthem of the Seas meets Escape

IMG_5584_zpseg6a2v6y.jpg

IMG_0339_zpsogl2aljc.jpg

Our ride to St. Johns (I wish)

Here is the ferry taking us to St. Johns.

IMG_5591_zpso1zxaicj.jpg

Immediately upon arriving in St. Johns we boarded taxis (see below) to take us on a tour of the island.

IMG_5604_zps6dl4guk6.jpg

IMG_5601_zps87imnicz.jpg

The driver/tour guide made several stops along way and told us about the history of the island.

IMG_1601_zpsiejknjxz.jpg

IMG_5600_zpsq1pzkpzo.jpg

Trunk Bay Beach

IMG_1603_zpsdpibz6na.jpg

Private resort

IMG_5605_zpscmantogx.jpg

Wow, thank you so much for that info on St. John.

We just want a beach day there and we were going to do the taxi-ferry-taxi thing to get to the beach. But now you have me convinced that the NCL excursion for $85pp is the better move. It will cost a little more but we will save a ton of time that way.

IMG_1611_zps26iqbmor.jpg

IMG_5606_zpsm8qeodat.jpg

The tour lasted almost two hours. The driver dropped us at the pier and since we had about 30 minutes before the next ferry we decided to walk around some of the local shops and visit the Virgin Islands National Park Visitors Center.

IMG_5607_zps4rrnmvtu.jpg

IMG_5608_zpsaqfqtn8g.jpg

IMG_5610_zpsylstpvma.jpg

IMG_5612_zpsp1jxvx3s.jpg

Wow, thank you so much for that info on St. John.

We just want a beach day there and we were going to do the taxi-ferry-taxi thing to get to the beach. But now you have me convinced that the NCL excursion for $85pp is the better move. It will cost a little more but we will save a ton of time that way.

You are welcome.

Edited by jmele999

As we had predicted, doing the excursion through NCL was a great idea as we were back at the pier around 12:45 pm leaving us with plenty of time to enjoy the ship that afternoon. Also, our departure time had been changed from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm thus allowing us to spend some more time in St. Thomas.

When we arrived back at the pier there was another group from Anthem of the Seas going on an excursion.

IMG_5623_zpsezhygt8j.jpg

After arriving back onboard we decided to go to the Haven restaurant for lunch.

I decided to start lunch with one of Marc's creations - a bloody Mary with onions and mushrooms-infused vodka. I don't like onions, but the combination of onions and mushrooms was a great idea as the bloody Mary was very tasty.

IMG_0346_zpswiiouse7.jpg

DP decided to get the herbed chicken with rosemary jus. This entree is one of DP's favorites, but he noted that instead of polenta, the chicken is now served with potatoes.

IMG_0347_zps0je2ifha.jpg

I decided to try the salmon with lobster sauce. It was very good and probably the healthiest thing I had all week.

IMG_0348_zpsko3hupbv.jpg

We spent the afternoon in the Haven sundeck enjoying a beautiful and sunny afternoon. Since the sun was out I decided to take a few more pictures of St. Thomas from the ship.

IMG_5628_zpsp5esg0g7.jpg

IMG_5625_zpsu0j2xrlx.jpg

Besides taking pictures, I found time to enjoy some adult beverages including another margarita with jalapeño-infused vodka.

IMG_5626_zpsd1uu2uuk.jpg

Since we were staying in St. Thomas until 8:00 pm we decided to enjoy the sunset from Paradise Point. In order to get to Paradise Point you need to take the skyride ($21 PP), which takes you 700 ft above the town of Charlotte Amalie.

IMG_5629_zps5ugj3qer.jpg

IMG_5630_zpsvoqn4tz2.jpg

Picture taken while riding the Skyride

IMG_5632_zpsqech2pqe.jpg

The views from paradise point are breathtaking.

IMG_1621_zpsxk2lld94.jpg

IMG_1622_zpstxiju7au.jpg

IMG_0351_zps9fc221ot.jpg

Dinner that night was at Cagney's, but as some of you might remember, one of our goals for this cruise was to visit every bar onboard so before dinner we made a stop at the prime meridian bar to get a drink.

IMG_5645_zpsluelsegn.jpg

The weather was great that night so we decided to dine on the waterfront to enjoy our last few hours in St. Thomas.

IMG_0356_zpsf0ddfhjz.jpg

IMG_5647_zpsrzwewnx2.jpg

IMG_5652_zpsm3stvmun.jpg

We started dinner with oysters Rockefeller, potato chowder and Lobster bisque. I was glad to see that the oysters Rockefeller were back on the Cagney's menu, but they were not very good. The soups were ok.

IMG_5653_zpstxin0kwk.jpg

IMG_0357_zpstker0tev.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsiq4qt2ie.jpg

IMG_5657_zpsb1jtbi6s.jpg

I ordered my porterhouse steak medium well and it was overcooked, but very tasty - 3.5/5

IMG_0358_zpse87imgeu.jpg

T-bone steak - 4/5

We were very full that night so we skipped dessert. Overall, dinner at Cagney's was just ok. The highlight of our dinner was dinning outside enjoying the great weather and the beautiful scenery.

After dinner we walked around the ship and made our nightly stop at the Haven bar. Pranko prepared one of his special drinks for us - an old fashioned infused with strawberries and cinnamon.

IMG_6015_zpsjvtqzmh9.jpg

We went to bed early that night since we were scheduled to arrive in Tortola at 7:00 am the next morning.

IMG_0354_zpsnsokajxm.jpg

Here is a map of the US and British Virgin Islands so that you can get idea as to how close these islands are to each other.

IMG_5637_zps2rvgjjz7.jpg

End of Day 4.

Next - Day 5 - Tortola

Have been on many NCL cruises, some in the Haven and must say once you've gone Haven it's very hard to go back. Will be in a 2 bedroom villa in the Haven in May on the Escape and always excited to sail with NCL. Thanks for the menu.

Your review sounds absolutely Havenly right now. We are gearing up for our arctic blast this weekend. I will need to read read you review and TheDougOut's review this weekend to keep from thinking about the cold.