Legend Alaska..which side??

pbmsmile

The side doesn't really matter, you are in the Inside Passage most of the time.

I would recommend getting the "extended" balconies on the side, we had those and they were pretty fantastic!

I can imagine the aft rooms would have been really nice too.

We are booked on the Legend in May for Alaska. One side of the ship isn't any better than the other IMHO. We've booked on both sides and prefer the port side. We are booked aft with a balcony. IMHO a balcony to Alaska is a must. You can see everything from your own cabin and don't have to get the best scenic spot on the ship. Alaska is our all time favorite cruise to take.

I am looking at booking the legend for an Alaskan cruise in July, can anyone tell me which side would be best...or better yet.. WHAT IS THE BEST ROOM PLACEMENT??? :confused:

We sailed Legend to Alaska in July. What a cruise!

On Spirit class ships we book Veranda Deck, mid-ship, regular (not extended) balcony. We booked starboard side this time because our favorite port-side cabin was already taken.

For the Alaska cruise, the day we were sailing Tracy Arm Fjord we were outside all the way forward. Though it was pouring rain, and we were prepared as we brought anoraks, the view was spectacular. One thing that amazed me was the number of people who stayed inside. Crew members had lined the Lido windows with chairs and every one was taken. People took pictures through salt stained windows. Even though we were a little damp and chilled, the experience of watching the ship sail in iceberg-laden water is one I'll never forget. (Not Titanic sized icebergs. They ranged from refrigerator to school bus in size.) We had over 180 degree view by standing outside.

My point is that it didn't really matter which side of the ship our cabin was located as we were always outside either forward or aft, or on excursions.

The ship barely coasts along in the fjords... making almost no wake. The sea otters and seals play on the chunks of ice just yards from the ship.

At one glacier, they rotate the ship slowly, so that you see the whole panorama. Guests on both sides of the deck and balconies got equal time to enjoy the view.

The naturalist on the bridge pointed out animals on both sides -- bears, elk, and eagles. There wasn't a good side, or a bad side, to be on.

I am looking at booking the legend for an Alaskan cruise in July, can anyone tell me which side would be best...or better yet.. WHAT IS THE BEST ROOM PLACEMENT??? :confused:

Side doesn't matter because most of the time you are in open ocean well away from land. The small amount of time that you are actually in the "inside passage" the land is view able on both side. Unfortunately that will be at night and you will miss most of it anyway.