Low-heeled shoes for formal nights?

pennstater

Special request: Does anyone have any recommendations for formal low-heeled shoes? Any brands or stores or websites to suggest?

I normally like to take the opportunity to break out the 3" heels when dressing up for an event, but I recently broke my ankle and did some other ligament/cartilage damage :(...I'll still be doing physical therapy at the time of my 12/3 cruise and I want to avoid any unnecessary stress but still look fabulous.

Any suggestions? I really want to celebrate my near-recovery and my big 3-0 - yet don't want to feel dowdy. Thanks! :)

Well, if you had to pick a year to be "forced" into dressy flats, I think you couldn't have picked a better year.

I don't wear flats, other and casual loafers and boots, and have to say that this year, I've seen some sexy and very dressy evening flats out there - satin ballerina flats, lacy silk sandals, etc. Lots of styles and anything but dowdy!

Look at stores like Sak's, Bloomingdales, MAcy's. If you don't have these stores near you, check online at their websites. Brands like Stuart Weitzman, DKNY, Anne Klein or Donald Pliner can be found at Zappos.com.

Sorry about your ankle and wish you quick healing, but don't fret about the flats, there are some GORGEOUS ones out there this season!

Jane

I'm so sorry you broke your ankle! I hope you get well soon.

I agree with Jane, there are some beautiful flats out this season. I saw a pair of really cute pointed toed embelished flats that were stunning. I was trying to find the site where I had seen them...but no luck.

Zappos had some beautiful ones, and I think Overstock.com had some as well.

I do understand your plight. I am a high heel gal 100%. Never have liked flats, and I don't like wearing them at all.

However, I recently re-injured my knee and will have to have surgery soon. I bought some ballet flats and some embellished flats that are very cool. I was specifically told to NOT wear anything with a heel. Well I wore a pair of my leather boots today with a small heel (2"). I'm paying for it now.

In my defense...today was the first day of fall weather here, and it was simply the perfect boot day!

Oh well.

Let us know what you find!

~e

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses, my fellow night owls! I didn't realize that the dressy flat trend was still going on (noticed it some time ago, but haven't been able to go shopping :eek: since the accident) so I will have to check out the stores.

Jane, I live 2 miles from King of Prussia Mall (I think it's a wonderful thing, the hubby tends to differ in opinion), so I should have luck with your suggested stores. Now, it is just a matter of when I get the OK to drive again.

I will also check out zappos.com and overstock.com - I'm hesitant to buy shoes without trying them on because I hover between 8.5 and 9. Plus, I may still have residual fit issues from the injury and want to make sure they fit properly. However, if they are simple flats, there shouldn't be too many fit issues.

off-subject: mrsred - sorry to hear about your injury, also. I empathize...had ACL surgery 5 years ago after my first and last ski trip! (Guess I'm a bit of a clutz :o) Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Thanks again for the great ideas, and also for the get-well wishes!

I've seen flats all over stores. If you're not wanting to spend too much because of how much you'll use them, I know that I've seen some at Target.

I love the way that ballet flats look, but they just don't work for my feet, since my feet are really narrow.

But I'm sure that you'll have no trouble finding something that you like without aggravating your ankle. And you'll look great!

I just bought a pair of 1 inch dressy sandals at JC Penney yesterday. I have an ankle injury that is going to require surgery when I come back from my Halloween cruise so higher heals are an impossiblility!. I paid $29.99 on sale.

I will also check out zappos.com and overstock.com - I'm hesitant to buy shoes without trying them on because I hover between 8.5 and 9. Plus, I may still have residual fit issues from the injury and want to make sure they fit properly. However, if they are simple flats, there shouldn't be too many fit issues.

Zappos has free delivery and free returns! ;)

• 2 months later...

I had some medical issues last year and as a result one leg and foot remain swollen. I need to wear a wide shoe on that foot (with an insert in the other shoe to make it narrower). I have not been able to find a dressy shoe to meet that criteria. So, I am going to wear silver loafer style shoes (with two different long black skirts and tops. If anyone wants to take time on their vacation to criticize this, then number 1, I am flattered that you are so interested in me and number 2, I am sorry that you are having such a dreadful vacation to make you care about what others are wearing. Meanwhile, I plan to have a wonderful vacation no matter what other people are wearing.

The last pair of 3+" heels I bought was for oldest DD's bat mitzvah in 1998. She was 13, I was 43 and determined to be taller in the pix. High heels can be NOT safe on cruise ships. Back about 1990 I was told to go barefoot as the ship was in rough/unsafe footing waters. I am now 59, both DDs are married (8/2003 and 9/2005) and the shoes I bought for both have 1" heels.

Would love to wear heels...but...arthritis in one of my big toes nixed that awhile ago...getting old SUCKS! anyway...there are lots of great shoes out there...just have to find the dresses that will look ok with them? LuAnn

So, I am going to wear silver loafer style shoes (with two different long black skirts and tops. If anyone wants to take time on their vacation to criticize this, then number 1, I am flattered that you are so interested in me and number 2, I am sorry that you are having such a dreadful vacation to make you care about what others are wearing. Meanwhile, I plan to have a wonderful vacation no matter what other people are wearing.

Whoa....easy girl, you'll raise your blood pressure! I'm 99.99% certain that no one on your cruise ship is going to question, comment, stare or point at your shoe choice.

Relax and enjoy!

Jane

Jane - my blood pressure is really fine thanks.:) I am usually a very laid back person. I just get irritated when I read the statements on this board by the self-appointed fashion police. I know that nobody will say anything (they will just post my faux pas here) :D

Deb,

I've never read any comments here that say anything to the effect that heels are better, dressier or more appropriate than flats. There are lots of dressy flats in the stores - this year more than ever.

As far as fashion police here. Well..... this *is* a fashion board and it's what we discuss. Sometimes there's agreement and sometimes there isn't. But no one comes here if they're not interested in clothing, so it's natural that we would discuss our likes and dislikes.

I don't know what specifically irritates you. I'm pretty blunt and will express a disagreeing opinion, but I wouldn't flame or insult someone because they don't agree with me. Flaming remarks irritate me, not ones that simply have a different opinion.

My comment about your blood pressure was meant in jest. I hope you took it that way. It just seemed to me that you were ready to start your vacation already in an angry frame of mind.

Jane

Deb,

I've never read any comments here that say anything to the effect that heels are better, dressier or more appropriate than flats. There are lots of dressy flats in the stores - this year more than ever.

As far as fashion police here. Well..... this *is* a fashion board and it's what we discuss. Sometimes there's agreement and sometimes there isn't. But no one comes here if they're not interested in clothing, so it's natural that we would discuss our likes and dislikes.

I don't know what specifically irritates you. I'm pretty blunt and will express a disagreeing opinion, but I wouldn't flame or insult someone because they don't agree with me. Flaming remarks irritate me, not ones that simply have a different opinion.

My comment about your blood pressure was meant in jest. I hope you took it that way. It just seemed to me that you were ready to start your vacation already in an angry frame of mind.

Jane

Jane - yes I did take your comment (about my B/P in jest. But it seems as though some people on this board have certain ideas of what someone MUST wear. For example there is a thread about a poster's MIL who refuses to get dressed up for a formal night. Some people have suggested she eat in her room. What possible difference could it make to them what she is wearing? But, anyway, I am not angry and thanks for your concern about my blood pressure.:)

Deb - I think the shoes you describe will look very nice. Have a great cruise!

If anyone is curious, I found some great flats for my cruise! Thanks to all for the great advice!

I found these (the black ones) at a local MJM Shoes for $20 less than I was about to order at Bloomie's--what a find! I had been eyeing them for many weeks and decided to check MJM before ordering anything - glad I did! I think that paid for 2 martinis on the cruise...;) They were so comfy that I even wore them last night for my b-day night out in the city.

42740_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Also, I found these at zappos (love that site - thanks for the suggestion Jane!) and I was able to use them for both informal nights. I also took advantage of the free returns and ordered 3 different pairs of walking sandals - picked the pair that fit best and sent the rest back! Love that!

http://www.zappos.com/n/pair_image.cgi?product_id=7201773&color_id=6266

Thanks again!

Deb - I think the shoes you describe will look very nice. Have a great cruise!

If anyone is curious, I found some great flats for my cruise! Thanks to all for the great advice!

I found these (the black ones) at a local MJM Shoes for $20 less than I was about to order at Bloomie's--what a find! I had been eyeing them for many weeks and decided to check MJM before ordering anything - glad I did! I think that paid for 2 martinis on the cruise...;) They were so comfy that I even wore them last night for my b-day night out in the city.

42740_fpx.tif?wid=213&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bilin&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Also, I found these at zappos (love that site - thanks for the suggestion Jane!) and I was able to use them for both informal nights. I also took advantage of the free returns and ordered 3 different pairs of walking sandals - picked the pair that fit best and sent the rest back! Love that!

http://www.zappos.com/n/pair_image.cgi?product_id=7201773&color_id=6266

Thanks again!

I've been debating on ordering the same shoes from Bloomies and we have a MJM here so tomorrow I'm having the DH take me to see if I can find a pair in my size. I'm so glad I decided to check this thread again. I'll post back on whether I find them.

J~

I've been debating on ordering the same shoes from Bloomies and we have a MJM here so tomorrow I'm having the DH take me to see if I can find a pair in my size. I'm so glad I decided to check this thread again. I'll post back on whether I find them.

J~

Good luck! I hope you find them in your size - I actually bought a half size larger (I do this sometimes with pointy toed shoes for the extra toe room) and they worked perfectly! Happy shopping!

Mrsred - Thanks! I had a fantastic birthday - one of my best and I was getting pretty freaked out by turning 30. Today was not so much fun though - way too much wine and French martinis...:o Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Mrsred - Thanks! I had a fantastic birthday - one of my best and I was getting pretty freaked out by turning 30. Today was not so much fun though - way too much wine and French martinis...:o Thanks for the birthday wishes!

The 30's rock! Glad you had a good time.

~e

The 30's rock!

~e

You know, I freaked a bit when I first turned 30, but now that I am 32, I am loving it! I am so over the whole 20's. Now that I am in my 30's, I am finding that I value my time and my money and try to live everyday to the fullest. I embrace my womanhood and am just happy to know who I am and what I stand for these days. I have more confidence in myself and am shedding a lot of the 'excess' from my 20's.

It's all good, pennstater!

Archived