Grand Princess going into Drydock ???

WaterCruiser

Has anyone read anything about the Grand going into drydock in Nov. When, where, why????

She is currently not scheduled the week of 10/31 - 11/7. I can't imagine how they plan to put her into drydock and sail her from NY to Galveston in one week. We are booked on the 11/8 first sailing out of Galveston and I'm a bit concerned so I'd apreciate any news anyone has. Thanks!

Grand Princess 12/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/03

Grand Princess 11/8/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;08;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until we're on board the Grand again !!!

I believe she is going into dry dock that week. I wouldn't worry about it - the term dry dock is used loosely around here - they may use that week to replace all the carpets in the dining room and in the atrium, possibly switch over Painted Desert to Sterling steakhouse, install the large screen TV - stuff they can't do when passengers are on the ship.

I actually have no clue what they are going to do - just some ideas. When they plan this far in advance for a dry dock, they normally don't need extensions.

We just came off the Grand Princess and she is going in to dry dock. The crew was talking about it. AND IT NEEDS IT! We are past Princess cruisers and have been on the Grand 2 times before. We were somewhat disappointed. The Princess product is not the same it was the first time we sailed on the Grand! The ship is in need of attention, the food has lessened in quality, and the staff seems less attentive than times before, and entertainers only marginal. Of course, the price has dropped too, so these must be the consequences of lower fares. Maybe as cruise travel increases again, Princess will reestablish some of the amenities and services that put it far above the rest!

WOW - I can't believe we were on the same ship. We too just got off the Grand a few weeks ago, had an awesome time. Wheelhouse lounge guys who played after 9:30 were fun and knew every song to come down the pike. Couldn't stump them. Hey, if these guys were Eagle material, they would be touring and cutting CDs. Our balcony room was comfortable and as expected. We were not there very much anyway. Our cabin steward took excellent care and anything we asked for, he was back within minutes.

Now the coffee - that is another thing - I will bring my own next time. Really, really bad and I filled out the comment card stating so. We met some really nice people and hope to do so again next year. What is a good trip in mid-March 7 days.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Ok Redjoan - what about the ship in particular did you notice that you felt needed attention? I'm just curious and yours is the first report that she isn't in great condition.

I haven't been aboard the Grand since her inaugural year but sail Princess 2-3 times a year. What do you think I will notice when I board her in COpenhagen in a couple weeks?

Cruisin' Chris

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I'm curious also about what Redjoan said. I have cruised the Grand 3 times: 1999, 2002, 2003...all in May/June. The Grand was in very good condition when I was on her last June and I haven't read any complaints from people who have sailed her since then.

Of the things Redjoan mentioned, only one "The ship is in need of attention" could be taken care of in drydock anyway. The other issues have nothing to do with the condition of the ship itself and cannot be remedied just by drydocking. I actually didn't do any shows on the Grand in 2003, because the entertainment in 2002 was so mediocre.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

Archived