Couple of questions about Oceana

TotallyAngelic

Hi Tartanexile81

In reply to your question "Where did you hear there was a fire in the engine room? We were told it was a fault in the electrical motor driving the propellor." , that was exactly what I was referring to.

During the early evening, the captain made a broadcast in which he mentioned that there was a problem with the port propulsion with smoke coming from the machinery. This was continuing despite the motor being turned off so presumably the crew had to deal with some sort of fire? As the propulsion is located in the general area of the engine room, that was what my previous comment referred to. Later on, he made another announcement to say that the windings on the electric motor had been partly replaced by the engineers, presumably because the originals had bunt away, but that the motor would only run at a lower power output. Hope that clarifies and confirms that we are largely on the same page?

For anyone reading this who is not aware of how the ships are propelled, Oceana and indeed most other ships are driven by electric motors which are supplied with their power by diesel oil type generators. These also supply all other electrical power to the ship.

I understand that the affected equipment was being replaced during the turn around in Southampton so hopefully, there will be no further recurrence in the near future. As I said in an earlier post, the ships are on the go continuously so in the end, technical problems will inevitably occur.

Not sure about being on the same page but we were certainly on the same cruise :D. Think we interpreted the announcements differently and didn't make the same assumptions. Still glad we got home safely.

Thank you all for your feedback on Oceana, we are boarding in just over 8 weeks and we are determined to enjoy the experience and just take it as we find it. That said my expectations are not sky high, but for what we have paid I am certainly not expecting anything close to 5*. Looking forward to trying the specialty restaurants and just relaxing as we visit such beautiful destinations.